Interesting Tom Murphy interview

Because you don't think we all know how to use YouTube's search field as well as you do, post your YouTube links and other video clips here.
Dinosaur David B

Interesting Tom Murphy interview

The way they're doing them now is different from when they started (manually creating checking with razor blades). Apparently, now they use a new finish TM developed and the checking happens through temperature changes. Also, the finish is such that it will continue aging once you own it. That is, if you submit it to temperature changes, the finish is likely to distress further. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
merlo_zeppelin

Re: Interesting Tom Murphy interview

For the life of me I still can't figure out why people buy relic guitars 
Dinosaur David B

Re: Interesting Tom Murphy interview

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:15 pm For the life of me I still can't figure out why people buy relic guitars.

I understand that mindset, because that was my initial thought, too. I used to think: I'll put my own dings in my guitars, thank you very much. But you might want try one (if you haven't already) before you reject it categorically. 

Despite my initial mindset, I actually like having some relics, now.  The guy from Andertons (in the YT video below) touched on why I think that is. When you pick up a well done, relic'd guitar, it feels broken-in, played, and right already. You're also not worried about putting that first ding in it or babying it, so maybe you're a tiny bit more relaxed. That makes a subtle, and probably positive, psychological difference in my playing every time I pick up the guitar.  

And buried in this Murphy video is also the idea that a guitar with an aged finish may resonate more. I experienced that myself with my Moorecaster strat that has so much wear and bare wood on it, the guitar is more resonant than my Chubtones with a normal, modern finish. And the guitar literally FELT vintage from day one. The neck wear felt fantastic. 

I also like this idea that the finish on the Murphy guitars will age/season even more (rapidly than a normal guitar) after you get it. Fender was doing that a few years back. They offered what was called a relic-ready finish, that was would wear, age, and season more rapidly so you're basically relic'ing it yourself with your own wear. I thought that was a great idea. I've had my Blackmocaster strat for 25 years and its poly finish looks exactly the way it did when I first got it.  I kind of wish it looked 25 years old and played

At the end of the day, I like having both relic'd and non relic'd guitars for different reasons. 

Gibson Montana recently started doing a light Murphy age on acoustics, and every one who plays them says they resonate better than the normal finish. That makes even more sense on an acoustic -- where the whole name of the game is resonance. That's something I need to check out for myself. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.