Judas Priest - Invincible Shield (album)

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
Tatosh Guitar

Re: Judas Priest - Invincible Shield (album)

Osky wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:36 pm
I went to college in El Paso, Texas, a place who also happened to be home of the world largest Harley Davidson dealer. This was in the mid 90s, back when Halford was out of Priest and he was doing the Fight thing. Apparently back then he lived in Phoenix, Arizona (I have heard that by the 00s he moved to San Diego, but nowadays I believe he still is mainly Phx located) Anyway, A friend told me that he enjoyed certain anonymity back then, doing things like taking the road on his Harley and the like. Visiting the shop I mentioned above was apparently a thing he did at least twice. I have never been a motorcycle guy and while I drove past that place basically on a daily basis, I probably would have become a regular if I had known back then he would show up there now and then.
Dinosaur David B

His auto bio suggested he's still in Phoenix, but it's a few years old now. Not surprised he's just a normal guy. His FB page is pretty funny. He's always wearing cheesy cat T-shirts.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur wrote: His FB page is pretty funny. He's always wearing cheesy cat T-shirts.

Yeah, I get a kick out of those. My wife is a huge cat person and I show her his posts all the time.

If the background of his cat shirt pictures tells us anything is that he is still in Phoenix. I believe he has lived there since the mid 80s. I can't think of any place more different than his native Birmingham.

Dinosaur David B

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:50 pm If the background of his cat shirt pictures tells us anything is that he is still in Phoenix. I believe he has lived there since the mid 80s. I can't think of any place more different than his native Birmingham.

Yeah, but it makes sense if you didn't like dreary, dank, Birmingham. Sunny, hot, dry Phoenix is like the polar opposite. I could see the appeal, though in Rob's studded boots, I would have chosen somewhere in CA.
veeman

I've listened to it a few times now, and I so far really like it. Giants in the sky is my favorite right now, and I think the title track Invincible Shield is to me the weakest song.
Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur wrote: Yeah, but it makes sense if you didn't like dreary, dank, Birmingham. Sunny, hot, dry Phoenix is like the polar opposite. I could see the appeal, though in Rob's studded boots, I would have chosen somewhere in CA.

Back when he released his first solo album, Resurrection, he moved to San Diego. Maybe it was just a logistical, business related thing. I am unsure why he moved back to Phoenix. Maybe he never intended to leave permanently in the first place.
Dinosaur David B

I really like this album. Best set of songs from them in forever. Better than Firepower

One thing I think I'm responding to is Sneap’s production. In many places Invincible Shield sounds like any recent Accept album—and I mean that in a good way.  :music-deathmetal:

Listen to the beginning of Devil in Disguise. Before the vocals come in, the guitars, bass and drums sound just like Accept! 

It’s not that on every song. They're differences in other rhythm and lead tones. But the bass and drums sound very similar to modern Accept. Not surprising. 

Haffner

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:50 pm
Dinosaur wrote: Yeah, but it makes sense if you didn't like dreary, dank, Birmingham. Sunny, hot, dry Phoenix is like the polar opposite. I could see the appeal, though in Rob's studded boots, I would have chosen somewhere in CA.

Back when he released his first solo album, Resurrection, he moved to San Diego. Maybe it was just a logistical, business related thing. I am unsure why he moved back to Phoenix. Maybe he never intended to leave permanently in the first place.

I remember reading that Rob has horrible allergies, which would explain Arizona.
Dinosaur David B

The live clips I've seen of the current tour, Rob's not singing very well -- at least not yet. He's having trouble with his high notes. 
eduardoritos

Massive is the word.
Wolf Hoffmann level guitar tone, great songs, GREAT solos and Rob's magic voice.

The songs I enjoyed the most are the ones of my style (obvious): Devil in disguise to As God is my whitness. More mid tempo. Even some Accept on one ore two.

What I miss (not only on this album) is the shorter albums; I tried to listen old school (aka, the whole songs on a raw) but the album is two long for this, I think. 40 minutes is the best for me.