Adrian Smith, Leppard audition

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
Tatosh Guitar

Re: Adrian Smith, Leppard audition

Dinosaur wrote:
BUT (IMO), he's not the same class of player or musician Sykes is, and he certainly isn't the writer or singer Sykes is. That said, I think Viv's style probably suited Dio's songs and styles better than Sykes would have. I can't imagine Dio singing over Sykes' busy rhythms like Billy and Holy War. OTOH, Sykes' style gave Lizzy a great big kick up the arse that they needed at that time. So I think both guys ended up in the right gig.

I honestly love them both (Sykes and Viv) for what they do. While I think you are on point regarding Viv's songwritting skils, I still think it is a little bit unfair to compare him with Sykes' busy rhythms because he probably was told from the get go to keep it simple when he joined DIO. I remember an old interview with Jake E Lee when he discussed the time when he was being considered for that gig, and he says he was told to keep the riffs fairly simple so that Dio's vocals could shine.

So maybe Viv was perfectly capable of coming up with stuff like that, but was simply restrained. 

Then again, never in the rest of his memory did he show signs of that sort of playing, so there is that. And for the record, I like Riverdogs as well.

I am not even counting Leppard. It is a-non factor to me.

Oddly enough, I think I posted here once that I would actually like Viv to work with Hughes...