Volume pedal reimagined

A forum for discussing guitar effects.
Dinosaur David B

Volume pedal reimagined

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
eduardoritos

Re: Volume pedal reimagined

For some reason, I don't like the rotary idea.
Dinosaur David B

eduardoritos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:38 am For some reason, I don't like the rotary idea.

I used the Ernie Ball Volume pedal with FEINTS, and it did the job, but I can't say I loved it. The EB pedal had a single point of failure -- a literal string that turned the pot. If the string breaks, the pedal's broken. To me, that's a bad design flaw.

Later I used the Dunlop mini volume pedal. It didn't use a string, but with both the Dunlop and the Ball, I found the taper on the pot made it hard to be precise with either pedal for things like volume swells.  (Probably required more practice than I dedicated to that).

I actually think this design might be better. First, it's a bigger, and probably more robust pot. Second, you have the numbers on the pedal that show you where you are on the sweep. That HAS to be helpful. To know for example, for perfect swells, go from 0 to 5 (or whatever). And an LED to let you know it's active. I found out how important that is with Wah pedals.  :lol:

I don't really need a volume pedal anymore, but if I did, I'd give this a shot. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Dr Nick

I'm not sure if it'd work for me. 
I sometimes use quite quick swells, and getting back to near-zero fast followed by a swell seems like a reciepe for falling over! 

Although I wonder if this gives more precision if you want an in-between setting for whatever reason.