Clapton's Cream/Fool painted SG up for auction

This is the place for discussing guitars, stuff like woods, and tone-related issues. Discuss guitar techniques in the separate forum.
Dinosaur David B

Clapton's Cream/Fool painted SG up for auction

You think his Strats sold high? This should be stratospheric! The first bid is $300K.

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Re: Clapton's Cream/Fool painted SG up for auction

Dinosaur wrote: You think his Strats sold high? This should be stratospheric! The first bid is $300K.

this is truly a new frontier, price wise.  nobody has any realistic idea what this guitar is worth.
Dinosaur David B

I think Todd Rundgren owned it for the last 40 years.

I could easily see it fetching $1M.

When Beato interviewed Kirk Hammett, he led me to believe that he got actually Greeny for between $500K and $750K.  We'd all heard they were asking 2M. Hammet said "I'm not buying a 2M guitar. I'm not even buying a 1M guitar."  They told him the price was well under 1M. That's when he caved. 

This guitar is probably considered more significant that Greeny. It's certainly more unique.  And Clapton still rings the dinner bell for the old rich guys. They paid a fortune for Blackie -- which was basically a 70s parts guitar. If Clapton hadn't played it, it's probably worth less than $1K. 

Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur wrote: This guitar is probably considered more significant that Greeny. It's certainly more unique.  And Clapton still rings the dinner bell for the old rich guys. They paid a fortune for Blackie -- which was basically a 70s parts guitar. If Clapton hadn't played it, it's probably worth less than $1K. 

Yeah, this SG is probably on the level of a Hendrix Strat or a Page Les Paul. I don't think there's much more, pedigree wise, you can get as far as guitars go.

On a semi related note, I have actually seen Blackie in the flesh. I think it was around 15 years ago at Hollywood's Guitar Center, in Sunset Blvd. They had it on display, loaned by whoever owned it at the time, under what must have been a 5-inch thick glass. I think I have a picture somewhere on one of my old hard drives.

What I remember is how unremarkable it looked. It was a pretty by-the-numbers-Strat. No mojo, no special anything, really. At least to the naked eye. Maybe it is the fact that Clapton really means close to nothing to me, unless we are taking his 60s stuff. If it had been a Blackmore or Gary Strat I probably would have gone bonkers.
Osky

XTC's Dave Gregory got to play the Fool SG on one of the track's on their Skylarking LP as Todd Rundgren was the producer. He talks about that experience and the forthcoming sale of the guitar here... go to 1:22 ish in

Dinosaur David B

Looks like the guitar went for $1.27M

Which was lower than anticipated.