John Norum

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
axe

John Norum

Just listening to Mirror Mirror off of Dokken's solo album.
Lame ass song but Norum just rips the solo apart. Devastating.

axe 
​​​​
Dinosaur David B

Re: John Norum

I saw that tour. Only time I ever saw JN live.  When Norum was in Dokken, I thought Norum was trying to sound like Zakk. Don't know why.  Maybe it was the double K thing. :lol:

I like Norum much more when he's being himself (i.e. being Gary).  :laughing-rolling:

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

norum is a real monster.  the discipline and sacrifice that contributes to playing at that level..  rare!
Tatosh Guitar

I have always said that, with the influence of Gary, Schenker, Blackmore, etc. Norum is the guy I would be if left to my own devices (or had the actual talent, LOL.)
merlo_zeppelin

That record is insane!!! Note that is not a Dokken record but a solo Don Dokken record. Line up is:
Don Dokken - vocals 
Peter Baltes from Accept
Mikkey Dee from Motorhead and now Scorpions 
John Norum
But the real secret weapon here is the other guitar player, a complete unknown by the name of Billy White, whose whole carrer seems to be complete obscurity except for this record and tour. Please! Check him out, he's like George Lynch on steroids, all throughout the album. I love Norum, but I feel he's overshadowed by Billy here.

axe

Who the hell is Billy?
I never heard of him. I don't have a hard copy of that record. Is he listed on the credits?
If not why not?

axe 
merlo_zeppelin

Yeah, he is listed on the record, Wikipedia, AllMusic.
Check the music video for Mirror Mirror, he takes the first half of the solo. On the second song I posted, Stay, he plays the whole lead himself, he absolutely kills it.

Nick Layton

Love me some Norum! I actually really like that Up From The Ashes record, but it's not my favorite Norum stuff. I'd probably go for Another Destination or Face The Truth.
axe

This entire thing with Billy White has me questioning everything I know. 
I've been researching him and it does seem he's all over the guitar work that I had previously assigned to Norum.
It makes me wonder what else I'm mistaken about .
Thanks Merlo.

axe 
Duojett71

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:10 pm That record is insane!!! Note that is not a Dokken record but a solo Don Dokken record. Line up is:
Don Dokken - vocals 
Peter Baltes from Accept
Mikkey Dee from Motorhead and now Scorpions 
John Norum
But the real secret weapon here is the other guitar player, a complete unknown by the name of Billy White, whose whole carrer seems to be complete obscurity except for this record and tour. Please! Check him out, he's like George Lynch on steroids, all throughout the album. I love Norum, but I feel he's overshadowed by Billy here.

I don't think White overshadow's Norum at all on that record. I think White kind of cops Norum's sound and style a bit to make it more complimentary to each other. The solos on that record are split 50/50 and after listening to it over the years you can tell who is who. White has a slight bit more flash and fluidity but Norum has a bit more fire and balls. Both are great on that record. I remember buying it when it came out and was addicted to that record. Still love it. I was supposed to see them in Wilmington, NC on that tour in the summer of '90 at the old Mad Monk. I showed up early during the day to the venue hoping to meet them during load in. My buddy met them the night before at the show in Raleigh. Unfortunately Don cancelled the Wilmington show because he was sick. I was so bummed. I had been a fan of Norum since Europe had come out. I actually think that Don Dokken album has some of Norum's best playing.

In response to Dave commenting that Norum started to sound like Zakk....I don't think he started to do that until he joined Dokken in the late 90's....not when he was in the Don Dokken band with Baltes, Dee and White. The Dokken album he was on 'Long Way Home' wasn't very memorable.