slash to magnatone amps

This is the forum for discussion and questions regarding Amplifiers, yours, or someone elses.
bourbonsamurai

slash to magnatone amps

first aldrich goes to blackstar, now slash leaves for magnatone.  at this rate, ill be surprised if marshall is even still making amps in 5 years..
Dinosaur David B

Re: slash to magnatone amps

Bet you it won't be permanent. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Bet you it won't be permanent. 

time will tell.  marshall hasnt done anything really new in 15 years.  changing the bright cap and speaker on the dsl, and issuing 20w versions of their classic amps doesnt qualify as new to me, anyway.  i think their new ownership is pushing the brand toward the lifestyle and apparel sector.  say im wrong here, and marshall issues a slash modeling floorbox.  its the only thing theyve not done with his name on it, so im taking a stab.  how much r&d would that cost, and to further endorse a player young musos dont care about?  i dont see it.  i hope im wrong.
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:07 pmtime will tell.  marshall hasnt done anything really new in 15 years.  
Yeah, but what do they NEED to do that's NEW?

They've always been a company that's fallen ass-backwards into success DESPITE their frequently stupid business decisions.  They should have put out a lunchbox Marshall in the 7/15 watt category. They put out the 1 watt heads that people LOVED, then they pulled them after one year. 
Stitsel

Marshall ain't going anywhere. Slash or not, England or Sweden.... connoisseur or layman, they've made their mark & they're gonna forever be linked with loud brash rock music. Of course I'm a fanboy, but I'm not the only one. 

bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote:
bourbonsamurai wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:07 pmtime will tell.  marshall hasnt done anything really new in 15 years.  
Yeah, but what do they NEED to do that's NEW?

They've always been a company that's fallen ass-backwards into success DESPITE their frequently stupid business decisions.  They should have put out a lunchbox Marshall in the 7/15 watt category. They put out the 1 watt heads that people LOVED, then they pulled them after one year. 

zound is the swedish firm that builds the bluetooth speakers and headphones.  when they purchase marshall, they touted marshalls market share of a 100 billion dollar industry.  the entire musical instrument and pro audio industry tops out at 40 billion, annual, worldwide.  certainly no more than 50 billion, by my estimation.  the 100 billion value is more in line with the lifestyle sector, and it would make sense for marshall to target this.  the margins are far higher, and they already have the global brand to make it happen, thanks in no small part to their well established merchandise game.  i just dont see zound moving ahead with the new tech necessary to remain a player in the musical instrument business.  theyve owned the company long enough that wed already have been teased with new gear in development if that was their intention.
Tatosh Guitar

This. How many times have we seen famous guys move to different brands just to eventually return to the one they started with to begin with? Plus, Slash might be the biggest name in their artist rooster, but I doubt this will hurt them in any significant way.
bourbonsamurai

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:35 pm

This. How many times have we seen famous guys move to different brands just to eventually return to the one they started with to begin with? Plus, Slash might be the biggest name in their artist rooster, but I doubt this will hurt them in any significant way.

ive thought about this.  slash is no endorsement whore.  he simply waited until he got so big, marshall, and later gibson, came to him with deals.  i always respected this, cuz he could easily have named his price with anybody in the mid 90s.  i offer no prediction as to the longevity of the magnatone deal, but i feel pretty confident it was marshall that ended the relationship, and that he wont be returning to the fold.
Dinosaur David B

I know Eddie made a boatload of money signing up with Peavey, but I've often wondered if EVH ever musically regretted it. I remember reading how he was contractually prevented by Peavey for using other amps (at least live). The article implied that he wanted to go back to using Marshalls. 

I think by the end, when Fender was making his amps under the EVH name he was satisfied, but I if he had to do it all again, I wonder if he'd have just stuck with Marshall, or worked with them on a siggy amp instead. 

I know Iommi switched to Marshalls for a while, but eventually went back to Laney. 
merlo_zeppelin

Slash's not leaving Marshall, he's gonna have a signature model by Magnatone but he's still with Marshall, just not exclusively anymore.