Dino Dave: Musical memoirs of a would-be guitar hero

Drink will flow, blood will spill.
Here's where you discuss stuff that doesn't fall under the other topics. Doesn't even have to be music-related.
Dinosaur David B

Dino Dave: Musical memoirs of a would-be guitar hero

Hey guys. A couple of months ago, I thought it might be fun to write about my whole musical journey from childhood through present day. There are a few necessary life tangents, but it's really about the musical journey.  I've tried to make it as humorous as possible. 

I can't really say why I wanted to do this. But I've enjoyed the process, and I've also found the experience somewhat cathartic.

I thought you guys might enjoy reading it, so I'm posting the first 3 chapters here.  Click the link to view it in a browser window, and/or feel free to download it from there if you want. 

Dino Dave Ch 1-3.pdf

Dino Dave Ch 4 - Silent Rage.pdf

Dino Dave Ch 5 - Ninja.pdf

Dino Dave Ch 6-9

Dino Dave Ch 10 - FEINTS

Dino Dave Ch 11 - NY Groove

I'm trying to figure out is this anything I should pursue (beyond finishing it)?

I am abundantly aware that I'm a nobody guitarist, and my story isn't particularly special. But then, there are a lot more of us nobody guitarists, than there are those who've made it. I'm thinking guys like us might relate to it

So if you read these first pages, I'd appreciate it if you could answer the following for me: Did this hold your interest? and  If you didn't know me, would this hold your interest? 

I can post further chapters if there's interest. 

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Dinosaur David B on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
TravisW

Re: Dino Dave: Musical memoirs of a would-be guitar hero

Hey, FWIW I blew through the first chapters in no time. Keep the installments coming! I think we all learn a lot of the same lessons but in different ways, many of which are pretty funny, so it's relatable but fresh. 
bourbonsamurai

i think you should continue writing it, no matter what kind of feedback you get, dave.  if henry ford had asked people what they wanted, theyd have said faster horses, after all.
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:21 am i think you should continue writing it, no matter what kind of feedback you get, dave. 

I'm gonna finish writing it, regardless. I'm just wondering if once I'm done with it, if the story of a nobody guitarist is entertaining enough to try get publisher interest.

Last edited by Dinosaur David B on Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eduardoritos

I'll check it asap
merlo_zeppelin

Oh this is something I will definitely want to read. I think I'll save it for my next cruise ship contract (if I can contain myself) cause I really need the reading material to spend time when I'm out there.
Dinosaur David B

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:00 pm Oh this is something I will definitely want to read. I think I'll save it for my next cruise ship contract (if I can contain myself) cause I really need the reading material to spend time when I'm out there.

Thanks, Merlo. I only posted the first 40 pages, so it won't get you through the cruise.  :lol:

M11

Dinosaur wrote: So if you read these first pages, I'd appreciate it if you could answer the following for me: Did this hold your interest? and  If you didn't know me, would this hold your interest?

Did it hold my interest? Hell yeah! It was a very entertaining read.
I look forward to reading more of it. The story stopped at around 84 or 85, so there are almost 40 years left to tell. :lol:
Would it hold my interest if I didn't know Dave? It still would, most likely, because even though we're not in the same age group (I was born in the year Dave played his first gig) and live in different parts of the world, I could relate to a lot of what was written: discovering rock guitar, forming a band, band drama, and so forth. :music-guitarred:

Dinosaur David B

Thanks, Mario.  :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bent out of shape

Thanks for sharing David,  really enjoyed and look forward to more