chef de cuisine

A pressure-free environment where members can discuss any NON-Dino players and music without having their heads bitten off by the angry Dinos. IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT DINO MUSIC, DON'T COME HERE.
bourbonsamurai

chef de cuisine

last night, we had a late guest ask for me as she was finishing her meal.  told the host i was an "old friend".  when i came to the dining room, i didnt recognize her, but i acted like i did, cuz ive met a lot of folks over the years, and have forgotten more than i remember.  she asked me to join her for coffee, so ok why not?  restaurant is almost closed, so, no harm.  i sit, and she says straightaway that i dont know her, but she heard about me, and came to meet me and offer me a job.  im going friday to interview for the chef de cuisine position at her restaurant.  ive had a few word of mouth referrals over the years, but having an individual approach me this way is entirely new.  i give a lot of respect for the swagger and audacity at the least.  i like where i work now, but i do this shit for a living, and i must thoroughly investigate, here.  i have not thus far considered that i may be ready for such a job.  i love cooking.  if one has the temper for the job, cooking a busy dinner service is like getting paid to fuck, but a chef de cuisine position is a thing that scares me a little.  if the opportunity is truly legit, it might scare me just enough to take the leap.
cvansickle

Re: chef de cuisine

It's got to mean a lot when they come to you. Good luck, I hope the right thing happens for you.
Dinosaur David B

Be the next big step for you if you land it. Good luck, Cary. Go get it!
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Dude, I have been there. It happened to me last December. When I got the call I couldn't believe it at first. I am still there and things are looking up. I know it is scary at first. But I say go for it, you might get the chance of a lifetime.
bourbonsamurai

cvansickle wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:51 am It's got to mean a lot when they come to you. Good luck, I hope the right thing happens for you.

i was a little apprehensive when she said "i heard about you"..  i mean, from who, and exactly what did she hear?  lol  you ask the wrong person in new orleans, theyll tell you im hannibal lecter.  a different person might call me a naive boy scout that rehomes stray cats and puppies in my spare time.  it must have been quite a story that would have her on some kinda spy mission to hire a guy that doesnt even have a working phone.
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Be the next big step for you if you land it. Good luck, Cary. Go get it!

that note you and amy sent me a few years ago was exactly what i needed to hear, when i needed to hear it.  at my age, most folks are looking to get out of the business, not start over as a total noob, in an environment and circumstances as challenging as tujagues.  ive long held an aspiration to work for a chef like jean georges vongerichten, dominique crenn, or jeremiah tower, but when yall sent me that short video of encouragement, such a thing was a pipedream.  my own wife left me, she thought the idea so unrealistic.  you and amy have my deep gratitude for believing in me when really nobody else did.
bourbonsamurai

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:30 pm Dude, I have been there. It happened to me last December. When I got the call I couldn't believe it at first. I am still there and things are looking up. I know it is scary at first. But I say go for it, you might get the chance of a lifetime.

ive made a lot of stupid mistakes in my life, but i regret none so much as those where i played it safe, and chose money over ambition.  ill not be making any more errors of that nature.
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:41 pm
Dinosaur wrote: Be the next big step for you if you land it. Good luck, Cary. Go get it!

that note you and amy sent me a few years ago was exactly what i needed to hear, when i needed to hear it.  at my age, most folks are looking to get out of the business, not start over as a total noob, in an environment and circumstances as challenging as tujagues.  ive long held an aspiration to work for a chef like jean georges vongerichten, dominique crenn, or jeremiah tower, but when yall sent me that short video of encouragement, such a thing was a pipedream.  my own wife left me, she thought the idea so unrealistic.  you and amy have my deep gratitude for believing in me when really nobody else did.

We still do. Go land this one, Cary. You'll achieve the next rung of the ladder. Once your a CDC, that's your new baseline. Any job you get from there will be CDC or higher. Don't let fear fuck with you.

YOU WOULDN'T BE GETTING THE OPPORTUNITY IF YOU HADN'T EARNED IT. 

Keep telling yourself:  Why not? If not now, when?

Last edited by Dinosaur David B on Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
M11

I'm unfamiliar with restaurant hierarchy, but chef de cuisine sounds like a big deal. Good luck, and go for it!
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote:
bourbonsamurai wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:41 pm

We still do. Go land this one, Cary. You'll achieve the next rung of the ladder. Once your a CDQ, that's your new baseline. Any job you get from there will be CDQ or higher. Don't let fear fuck with you.

YOU WOULDN'T BE GETTING THE OPPORTUNITY IF YOU HADN'T EARNED IT. 

Keep telling yourself:  Why not? If not now, when?

the job ended up not being a good fit.  one thing in this industry im certain, is that any problem can be solved, except those that are ignored, or worse, those problems people pretend they dont see at all.  the correct opportunity will arrive for me at the right time, or when i have the resources and experience to make it arrive.  lol