pro line cook skills

A pressure-free environment where members can discuss any NON-Dino players and music without having their heads bitten off by the angry Dinos. IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT DINO MUSIC, DON'T COME HERE.
bourbonsamurai

pro line cook skills

one thing that never changes for me, in the food and beverage biz, is the creeping uncertainty and dread associated with circumstances of prolonged inactivity.  im extremely neurotic by nature, and i cant avoid the creeping negativity of my inner voice.  "damn were slow.  what if i forget how to make money?  when we get busy again, im gonna be fucked!"  and so forth..  this feeling has gripped me all summer long, now.  i know its unreasonable, but it really is an unavoidable feeling, because i take my job personally.  like, i dont just want to please those guests that are merely out for a fun night.  what i want to do is shut down those comparatively rare guests that have a bad attitude, ya know?  i want them to feel like i kicked their fucking ass with my risotto so bad, they have no alternative but to respect my restaurant when they get up to leave.  this is hard enough to do normally, but it gets excruciating when im on a busy, complicated night, as tonight came to be.  out of nowhere, we were very hectic with 4 large tables, with complicated orders.  when the rush hit, i immediately felt like i knew how to make it happen.  the whole time, my heart was in my throat, and i could taste blood, from sucking my clenched teeth.  no shit, i felt like i was ready to die, or commit capital murder to make this happen.  one thing thats great about live music is, when you slay, its immediate feedback, the roar of the crowd so loud, it sets you back on your heels.  in the kitchen, the best you get is nothing, because your guests are too busy stuffing their faces to say jack shit to anybody about a goddamn thing.  and thats what i got tonight.  dead silence, and it was as loud to me as any live band i ever heard.  i am so far beyond happy, ive been fighting tears of joy all the way home.  im just so proud to work at such a place, and with the top notch cooks in my kitchen.  the restaurant is closed tonight, so i talked all the cooks into going to the house of blues.  steel panther is playing, and i think these kids need to hear what a band sounds like, that isnt afraid to advocate for what is truly good in life.  hookers, blow, banging your stepmom.  shit like that..
Stitsel

Re: pro line cook skills

I hear ya man.....one thing I always try to do, if the meal truly is exceptional......is go and personally thank the chef.That,and give them a personal tip, say a $20 or something, on the sly. The service's tip depends. But a little personal appreciation can make someone's day, I realize that.Just seeing the reciprocating smile makes my day.I know, working in kitchens can be hell.
Tatosh Guitar

Re: pro line cook skills

bourbonsamurai wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:21 am steel panther is playing, and i think these kids need to hear what a band sounds like, that isnt afraid to advocate for what is truly good in life.  hookers, blow, banging your stepmom.  shit like that..

fact of life