Another Ben Eller gem.

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Dinosaur David B

Another Ben Eller gem.

Here Ben helps another good YT teacher fix his picking. Still straight out of Troy Grady, but worth a look. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Re: Another Ben Eller gem.

theres a certain level of technique im simply never going to attain.  my first and only guitar teacher was a brazilian that played both classical guitar, a la fernando sor and andres segovia, and gypsy jazz, like reinhardt and aleman.  he taught me to flatpick by digging under the string and popping the attack.  this is not conducive to playing at warp speed, but it is very useful for wringing every drop of juice from every note you play, so long as your action is high enough to let the string fully vibrate, and correct fretting technique is used to ensure the note doesnt go too sharp from the force of the picking attack.  among modern players, Jimmy Herring and Marty Friedman both seem to pick similarly.  Jimmy in particular, you can really see what im talking about when you watch his right hand.  i wouldnt be surprised to find out that herring and friedman use larger, taller frets, and as high action as they can, too.  their guitars just ring different than most.