Bernie Marsden selling his 59

This is the place for discussing guitars, stuff like woods, and tone-related issues. Discuss guitar techniques in the separate forum.
Dinosaur David B

Bernie Marsden selling his 59

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Re: Bernie Marsden selling his 59

Talk about cleaning house... :shock:

Is it me or are those numbers for a real 59, even with a rockstar pedigree, a bit unrealistically high?

bourbonsamurai

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:24 pm
Talk about cleaning house... :shock:

Is it me or are those numbers for a real 59, even with a rockstar pedigree, a bit unrealistically high?

bernies burst is a legend among already legendary guitars.  at guitar shows and other events, when berie would show up, he seemed to focus on making the beast the center of attention.  when i was in the business, i remember thinking that was a really savvy strategy on his part, to boost the value and profile of that guitar among potential buyers.  like, almost everybody i knew had at least seen it in person, if they hadnt actually played it.  bonamassa has done similar with his skinner burst.  i wouldnt be surprised at all if bernies beast breaks records when it does sell.
Dinosaur David B

Bernie has one of the known, great bursts -- not far off from Greeny and Pearly Gates, but I don't think he's gonna get $1.3M. I could be wrong. 

I hope Bonamassa doesn't get it, but he probably will. 
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Bernie has one of the known, great bursts -- not far off from Greeny and Pearly Gates, but I don't think he's gonna get $1.3M. I could be wrong. 

I hope Bonamassa doesn't get it, but he probably will. 

as we know, vintage prices at this level are as much function of the economy, as they are the desirability of any of these individual instruments.  im rooting for bernie, here.  nothing boosts the deserved attention of great guitars quite like a high profile sale of an instrument of this nature.
Dinosaur David B

Now he's not selling the 59.  :roll:

bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Now he's not selling the 59.  :roll:

i saw that.  at least if he holds onto it, maybe ill finally get to see it or even play it.  when i worked at international vintage, i always minded the shop while steve and dave went to all the shows
Tatosh Guitar

Yeah, saw that as well. Glad he is holding to it longer. I am always a bit bummed when my heroes get rid of their classic gear. Gary selling Greeny, KK selling his Vs and his 60s Strat, and don't get me started on Mad Mikey and his Gibsons... I mean, those are their guitars, and they can do with them whatever they want. But as a fan, it is not something I like to see.
Dr Nick

Maybe it was just to generate a buzz - or maybe there wasn't the interest he hoped for. 
bourbonsamurai

Dr wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:24 pm Maybe it was just to generate a buzz - or maybe there wasn't the interest he hoped for. 

this!