nice greenbacks, on the cheap

This is the forum for discussion and questions regarding Amplifiers, yours, or someone elses.
bourbonsamurai

nice greenbacks, on the cheap

if any of yall are looking for real deal, uk greenbacks, and dont wish to dump a truckful of money into this, checkout mojotone watchtowers.  these are, as near as i can tell, simply rebranded, uk manufactured greenbacks, exactly like the ones in the hendrix reissue cabinets.  mojotone has them on closeout, too, as theyve pivoted to their in house designed celestion clones in recent years.
Stitsel

Re: nice greenbacks, on the cheap

Oooooh that's a good tip, thanks. I also played a Hendrix signature stack once.....basicallly a Marshall Plexi with 2 grey faced 4x12s, and it too was throaty & hellacious sounding, not what I was expecting out of a Plexi style Marshall. I made a comment about it, the salesman confirmed that it was the speakers that gave it that extra bark......

This was in the same music store where I test drove the Vintage Modern, and they had a Kerry King 800 that I played through too at one time, another insane sounding Marshall. This place always had cool gear. It was the 1st place I ever saw an original Gibson Robot guitar ( I know; NOT cool gear ) but it was kinda cool I thought. A really nice grey flametop SG, all decked out like a LPC ( ebony board & block inlays, deluxe looking headstock etc. ) just a really nice guitar.Also, they had the 1st Alex Lifeson LP Axxess ( or whatever they're called ) , a beautiful butterscotch matte finish LP with a recessed Floyd.....for like $1800.00! Anyways, this place always had killer gear & it's the only place I've played some of these rarer Marshall's .....

I know I kinda went off the subject here, I took the day off & the coffee's jacking me up! 

I want to replace the Celestion Seventy 80s in my cheapo Marshall 2x12 w/some Greenbacks, these might be the ticket. 
Dinosaur David B

Back in the day, you had ether the 25 watt Greenback, and the 30W G12H-30 which was (and remains) my favorite Celestion. They were both great. Just different. Now there's so many choices it's hard to keep track. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Stitsel wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:35 pm Oooooh that's a good tip, thanks. I also played a Hendrix signature stack once.....basicallly a Marshall Plexi with 2 grey faced 4x12s, and it too was throaty & hellacious sounding, not what I was expecting out of a Plexi style Marshall. I made a comment about it, the salesman confirmed that it was the speakers that gave it that extra bark......

This was in the same music store where I test drove the Vintage Modern, and they had a Kerry King 800 that I played through too at one time, another insane sounding Marshall. This place always had cool gear. It was the 1st place I ever saw an original Gibson Robot guitar ( I know; NOT cool gear ) but it was kinda cool I thought. A really nice grey flametop SG, all decked out like a LPC ( ebony board & block inlays, deluxe looking headstock etc. ) just a really nice guitar.Also, they had the 1st Alex Lifeson LP Axxess ( or whatever they're called ) , a beautiful butterscotch matte finish LP with a recessed Floyd.....for like $1800.00! Anyways, this place always had killer gear & it's the only place I've played some of these rarer Marshall's .....

I know I kinda went off the subject here, I took the day off & the coffee's jacking me up! 

I want to replace the Celestion Seventy 80s in my cheapo Marshall 2x12 w/some Greenbacks, these might be the ticket. 

lol good to hear ive got company, as far as coffee induced mania goes!  those 70/80s really do suck.  one wonders how celestion can make all time greats like the g12-65 heritage, while concurrently selling oem trash like the 70/80.  jensen is the same way with the crap they sell fender for their reissues.  perplexing how consumers continue to buy this garbage as though its not a HUGE GLARINGLY OBVIOUS issue, too.  
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Back in the day, you had ether the 25 watt Greenback, and the 30W G12H-30 which was (and remains) my favorite Celestion. They were both great. Just different. Now there's so many choices it's hard to keep track. 

i like that h30 a bunch too, dave.  many high end manufacturers have now pivoted from this, to the m creamback, which i dont like as much.  i remember the magic ticket used to be an h30 and a vintage 30, before the vintage 30s changed in the late 2000s.  speakers in general, are a labor intensive rabbit hole of time and money, arent they?  i can easily see how irs and plug ins have gotten so popular.
Tatosh Guitar

bourbonsamurai wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:03 pm
Dinosaur wrote: Back in the day, you had ether the 25 watt Greenback, and the 30W G12H-30 which was (and remains) my favorite Celestion. They were both great. Just different. Now there's so many choices it's hard to keep track. 

i like that h30 a bunch too, dave.  many high end manufacturers have now pivoted from this, to the m creamback, which i dont like as much.  i remember the magic ticket used to be an h30 and a vintage 30, before the vintage 30s changed in the late 2000s.  speakers in general, are a labor intensive rabbit hole of time and money, arent they?  i can easily see how irs and plug ins have gotten so popular.

Back when I was still using the big amps, I used them with a 4x12 with loaded H-30s. Amazing stuff.

Nowadays there are so many options I can't even keep track of which is which, as DDave said. I took a glimpse at Celestion's website a few months ago and couldn't even guess where to begin.

Dinosaur David B

Well the cool thing with the IRs is that you can do some easy testing and mix/matching.  I've been having a lot of fun testing out the 10 new cabs sims I got for recording my new album.  And the thing is, when they're great cabs, with great speakers, recorded extremely well in real studios, they ALL sound great. It's then just a matter of picking the sounds you want for any given thing. I even charted out SOME of my findings so I can refer back later and see how one cab mixed with another, and which things I liked best.  
CabChart.png
CabChart.png (156.73 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: Well the cool thing with the IRs is that you can do some easy testing and mix/matching.  I've been having a lot of fun testing out the 10 new cabs sims I got for recording my new album.  And the thing is, when they're great cabs, with great speakers, recorded extremely well in real studios, they ALL sound great. It's then just a matter of picking the sounds you want for any given thing. I even charted out SOME of my findings so I can refer back later and see how one cab mixed with another, and which things I liked best.  
CABCB 30w 121LP 30w 121CB Mars 121LP Mars 121CB Or 121LP Or 121CB Hw 121LP Hw 121CB 65w 121LP 65w 57LP 65w 121LP GB 121CB 65w 57balanceddk 1balanceddk 2dk 3dk 3dk 5dk 3nonodk 4dk 4CB GB 57balancedLIKELIKEbalanceddk2balnonodk 4thinthindk 3CB GB 121dk 3dk 3dk 4dk 3dk 4dk 3dk 4dk 4dk 1dk 1dk 1dk 2LP GB 57balancedbalancedbalancedflatLIKEsameyLIKEbr 1balancedbr 1br 1sameyCB 30w 57LIKELIKE+LIKELIKE+LOVELIKELIKELIKEbalancedbr 1balancedbalancedLP 30w 57balancedLIKEbalancedbalancedLOVELIKE+LOVELIKEbalancedsameyLOVELIKECB Mars 57LIKELOVELIKELOVELOVE+LOVE+LIKELOVELIKEbr 1LIKELIKELP Mars 57LIKEbalancedLOVEbalancedLIKELIKEDk 2LIKEbalancedbr 1balancedbr 1CB Or 57balancedbr1balancedbalancedsameybalancedthickthickLIKEbr 1balancedLIKELP Or 57LOVEsameyLOVEbalancedthickone cabbalancedbalancedbalancedbr 1balancedbalancedLP Hw 57LIKELIKEbalancedbalancedLIKEbalancedone cabone cabLIKEbalancedbalancedbalancedCB Hw 57LOVEbalancedFATLIKEthickthicksameyLIKEbalancedbalancedLIKEbalanced

stuff like this is why, years ago, i decided to leave the engineering to engineers.  hell, i dont even like 2 channel amps.  its all so intimidating, like id need a hard drive in my head to keep it all straight.  im such a knuckle dragging luddite.  *mm.  guitar go BANG.  guitar GOOD.  turn amp up loud.  make guitar LOUD!*  lol
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:01 pmstuff like this is why, years ago, i decided to leave the engineering to engineers.  hell, i dont even like 2 channel amps.  its all so intimidating, like id need a hard drive in my head to keep it all straight.  im such a knuckle dragging luddite.  *mm.  guitar go BANG.  guitar GOOD.  turn amp up loud.  make guitar LOUD!*  lol

This was a time-consuming and somewhat tedious exercise, but not technically "hard" to do. Pretty Dino-brain simple, actually.

Using one LP and one Superstrat, both through the same amp, preserving the same settings, all I did was record the same 8-bars of an AC/DC riff (always a great benchmark) through different cabs. Once closed mic'd with a 57. Once closed mic'd with a 121.  Doing JUST that taught me a LOT.

And later down the road, it helps me when I'm trying to figure out which combinations to use on any given recording.  If I want a "dark" sound -- these combinations provide that. I want a "balanced" sound, try these. I want a pissed-off complexity try theses. 

IMO, better to go through the effort once, then refer back to it when needed, rather than in-the-moment trial and error when you just want to get tracking. I have the session with these sounds saved as well, so I can HEAR the different combinations that I put in the chart.
eduardoritos

I stick to my 80's Marshall 4x12 with no branded cones. Someones said Years Ago they're celestion. 
who knows but the cabinet sounds fantastic.