2nd Last Chance album underway

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
Dinosaur David B

2nd Last Chance album underway

We dropped our debut album about a year ago, and it was generally well-received by most of the tens of people who actually heard it.  :doh:

We then took a much needed break from the writing/tracking/producing part of things. We got some press and did some interviews. That was a nice, tiny bit of validation, but honestly, it didn't move the needle at all in terms of spotify/social media followers. 
:obscene-hanged:

That said, we're soldering on and have started making our second album. We've completed 99% of the songwriting, with just one more track (out of 10) to finish. I'll probably wrap that up this week.  We'll begin real tracking as soon as next week.

I can also tell you we have a big surprise coming that will help us take the 2nd album to another level.
More on that soon.  ;)

Anyway, as we begin the process, I'll be posting any interesting bits of the process in here. 

Last edited by Dinosaur David B on Fri May 19, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Re: 2nd Last Chance album underway

I am already looking forward to. Really curious about that surprise you mention...
Dinosaur David B

Finished the demo for the 10th and final song for the album.  Wrote 4 myself, and co-wrote/arranged the 5th of the 10 in one (this last) month, to meet the drummer's availability.  Never had to write on a schedule before and come up with 5 in a month!

It was like: every night, after work, get in the studio and WRITE something. Time is of the essence!  :shock:

Crazy shit, but I rose to the occasion, and I'm quite pleased about it. So on this album, 7 songs are mine, 2 are the singers, co-written/arranged by me. And there is one cover. 

So this album is more me than the first one.  And still fucking DARK, which is kind of our trademark.  :lol:
Haffner

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
  :happy-bouncyredfire:
  :clap:

Dr Nick

Wow, you're a prolific writer! Looking forward to this. 
Dinosaur David B

As I begin work on a new album, I usually end up upgrading SOME part of my studio, system, or rig, be it a new Mac, new AI, new mics or whatever. Sometimes a new amp, though I'd already recently bought the new baby Soldano and Vox amps (I hope they make it onto the album), so I don't need any more amps or guitars. 

This time it's going to be a lot cheaper, but I think it will make a difference. I've picked up some new cabinet simulators. For the first Last Chance album, I used the stock cabs that came with the CapX. They sounded pretty good to me.  Tonight I added some theoretically better sounding cabs. 

The first is the George Lynch set:

https://www.two-notes.com/en/product/ge ... cary-pack/

The other is the Friedman set:

https://www.two-notes.com/en/product/th ... ollection/

Each set gives you 5 cabs for $39. How can I go wrong? :confusion-shrug:

Dinosaur David B

First serious tracking with the new cabs tonight. They sound positively vicious!  :music-deathmetal:

Last week I spent some time doing some test recording where I used the same guitar>amp setup and just recorded each cab -- closed mic'd/centered with a 57 and with a 121. Obviously that's just ONE possible combination. But it provides a baseline with a gritty bright mic (57) and a richer dark mic (121). And once they're on separate tracks in the DAW, you can pan whichever ones you like hard left and hard right, hear what the combination sounds like, and determine what might suit any particular song best. I know I'm geeking out, but it's actually a really cool way to sort of test fit what you want for a particular song before you hit record.

For example, for the song I was working on tonight, I dialed up a JCM800 sound and ran it (with a 57 on it) through George Lynch's Hiwatt cab he likes to use for rhythm tracks. I can see why he likes it! It's a 70’s HiWatt® 4×12” with original 50w Fane® speakers.  George says: It handles low end really great. In your face and immediate sounding. He used it for most of his rhythm work (Dokken/Lynch mob). But that's just one side of the rhythm tracks.

On the other side, I've dialed up the Friedman Black (with a 121 on it). This cab has Celestion® G12H-30 “Black Back” 55Hz 30W speakers. (those were always my favorites in the old cabs). 

Basically, what I'm doing here is putting a bright mic on a cab that handles lows well with definition, and, since I'm using a JCM800 sound, a dark mic on a cab with brighter characteristics to keep the highs from being abrasive. 

I'm having fun with it, and I DO think these cabs sound better than what I used on the last album. 

Dinosaur David B

So, I promised a surprise, here it is:
PRESS RELEASE!! QUESTION:What do Billy Idol, Foreigner, Pride and Glory, Whitesnake, Slash’s Snakepit, Velvet Revolver, the Dead Daisies, and Lynch Mob have in common with Last Chance? ANSWER: They’ve all had the magnificent Brian Tichy on drums — and now Last Chance does, too! 

Last Chance are thrilled to announce that Brian Tichy will be manning the drum kit for the new/second Last Chance album

For those unfamiliar with Brian’s work, he (IMO) plays like a cross between John Bonham and Ian Paice, with bits of Cozy Powell thrown in for good measure. Along with beast-like power, he brings INCREDIBLE pocket to our new songs! Getting Brian was like dropping a jet engine into Last Chance!  We are beyond thrilled to have him, and when you hear him on the new album, we think you’re gonna love it, too! 

Last Chance’s self-titled debut album featured the phenomenal Jordan Cannata on drums. We love Jordan as a person, and we love his drumming. Unfortunately for us, SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE! Jordan is now having great success touring with the band, Slaughter. He’s also played a few recent gigs with George Lynch. We wish Jordan all the success in the world. It couldn’t be happening to a nicer guy! But when we reached out to Jordan to provide drums on our second album, it quickly became clear that his touring schedule made him unavailable. 

Every experienced musician knows that ANY BAND IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS DRUMMER. PERIOD! And now Last Chance had to find a new one. Plus, Jordan had set the bar INCREDIBLY high. So now, Last Chance had to find someone at least as good as Jordan — because once you have someone that good, you can’t go backwards. 

MAKING THE SWEETEST LEMONADE EVER!
As they say, when life hands you lemons . . . 

So we were bummed out about losing Jordan. And the idea of starting over from scratch, and auditioning unknown drummers, was both daunting and depressing. So instead, I (Dave) asked myself: “If I could have any drummer in the world on the album, who would I want?” And the name that instantly popped into my head was Brian Tichy. He’s my favorite drummer (under 70 years old)! I’d been following Brian’s career for over 20 years, since I was first blown away by his drumming when he performed with Glenn Hughes in a club gig. His work with Pride & Glory, Whitesnake, and many others, is legendary. Beyond that, Brian is a COMPLETE MUSICIAN, who writes songs, plays guitar, and has fronted his own band (Ball). 

We couldn’t get really get Brian Tichy, could we? 

So, with nothing to lose, I took a shot in the dark. And whadda ya know, Brian was on a break from touring with the Dead Daisies, and available! So Last Chance’s upcoming second album features Brian on 8 of the 10 tracks! (Jordan played on the other two before he got so busy).  

His drum tracks sound INCREDIBLE.
:character-beavisbutthead:

Last edited by Dinosaur David B on Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
M11

This is fantastic news, Dave!
Tatosh Guitar

Holy mother of God.

:shock: