Any thoughts on the new Metallica album?

Drink will flow, blood will spill.
Here's where you discuss stuff that doesn't fall under the other topics. Doesn't even have to be music-related.
Dinosaur David B

Any thoughts on the new Metallica album?

Just checked out most of it yesterday. It seems pretty good, but it's going to take a few listens to make it stick with me.  My first impressions were that A, some of it sounds like Puppets-era -- in a good (rather than cringeworthy) way. Some not. And that B, the songs feel really lonnnnnnnng. The album is longer than my commute. :lol:

It's nothing like pop-form, so whatever hooks there are, are not blatantly obvious on first listen-- like in Sandman, for example or even on RtL where the impact felt more immediate. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

Re: Any thoughts on the new Metallica album?

I do like Lux Aeturna, the rest did seem long and (like not-so-good Progressive rock/metal) it seemed overall they were trying to hard. The extended songs on Ride and Master sounded perfectly natural, and at times brilliant imo. Here they sound like they're making parts fit.

Still, it should be fine for their more hardcore fans.
Stitsel

Funny you should ask.I got the last GW mag in the mail, had James & Kirk on the cover.....I admit I got a little stoked & pre-ordered it.It arrived on Blackers bday, I was in full Ritchie mode that day. Gave it a spin &  didn't even finish it, still one tune to go.... it was good but kinda plodding & something came up & I got in a more extreme metal mood anyways, so it got shelved. I haven't even bothered to dig it back out & finish it.....ouch! I probably should. Just not in the mood right now, but I will soon enough. I'm happy they're still doing it, & what I heard sounded like good Metallica, but I'm not really craving it yet either.Weird.You catch the DP reference in Screaming Suicide? I mean....pretty blatant.....

I need to give it another round, as of now I can't remember anything. 
Dinosaur David B

Stitsel wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:49 amI need to give it another round, as of now I can't remember anything. 

That's the rub.  I feel the same way. Thinking more plays may help. But that already takes it out of the A range. :confusion-shrug:

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
cvansickle

I listened to it a week or so ago on Spotify. I liked it, but like everyone says, I can't remember anything about it. I need to listen again, I guess.

My younger son plays drums in his high school's marching band and drumline. They are preparing to enter the Metallica virtual For Whom the Band Tolls competition, which will be judged by Metallica members. My son also said that the entire Fall halftime show next season is going to be Metallica-based. His school has world-class bands, so I'm looking forward to hearing how they do this.
Haffner

I hate to parrot what haters have been saying for decades now, but the recent Megadeth was way more badass imo.
Stitsel

I agree.I've been too busy to respond...but the new Megadeth, and Exodus for sure are just in another zone, musically. It kills me to say  so too, 'cuz I really am an old school Metallica fan, all the way back to their 1st album. They literally blew my ass away, as I was processing Rainbow, & Priest ...etc..... so much killer shit back in the early 80s, remember you old Fs? I was listening to DP/Rainbow, Sabbath (in whatever incarnation; it was all good) , BÖC,Maiden,Lizzy,AC/DC etc. .... & Metallica was a breath of fresh air, for sure. So I rabidly followed them, and maintained my love of all the other bands too. Dio was a big one, an absolute institution. But, all these varying genres were all kinda melding together, back then.Did you love traditional Heavy Metal like Maiden/Priest/Dio, or the newer crazier stuff, like the Big 4? (Metallica, Magadeth,Antrax,Slayer) ....well I loved all. It was all killer & got me going. .....

Here we are now...whew.I'm happy Metallica's still doing it on the one hand, wish they'd go in a more aggressive thrash direction on the other hand. I know they could. Whatever, they still have my love & respect, but I'm kinda underwhelmed  by the latest...& I'm sad to say that. 
Haffner

Stitsel wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 am I agree.I've been too busy to respond...but the new Megadeth, and Exodus for sure are just in another zone, musically. It kills me to say  so too, 'cuz I really am an old school Metallica fan, all the way back to their 1st album. They literally blew my ass away, as I was processing Rainbow, & Priest ...etc..... so much killer shit back in the early 80s, remember you old Fs? I was listening to DP/Rainbow, Sabbath (in whatever incarnation; it was all good) , BÖC,Maiden,Lizzy,AC/DC etc. .... & Metallica was a breath of fresh air, for sure. So I rabidly followed them, and maintained my love of all the other bands too. Dio was a big one, an absolute institution. But, all these varying genres were all kinda melding together, back then.Did you love traditional Heavy Metal like Maiden/Priest/Dio, or the newer crazier stuff, like the Big 4? (Metallica, Magadeth,Antrax,Slayer) ....well I loved all. It was all killer & got me going. .....

Here we are now...whew.I'm happy Metallica's still doing it on the one hand, wish they'd go in a more aggressive thrash direction on the other hand. I know they could. Whatever, they still have my love & respect, but I'm kinda underwhelmed  by the latest...& I'm sad to say that. 

Great post! I wonder if bands like Metallica are capable of a nasty, aggressive Thrash abum. Perhaps being super rich and concurrently used to the....uh, "finer things in life" blunted their edge forever. It's hard to stay hungry when you're always stuffed.

The Eye of the Tiger lol.
Stitsel

It's hard to stay hungry when you're always stuffed. 

HAHAHA yep  :clap:

Haffner

Stitsel wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:36 pm It's hard to stay hungry when you're always stuffed. 

HAHAHA yep  :clap:

:D