Studio Woes

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
Bytor

Studio Woes

My studio DAW is on a dedicated Windows7 machine and as we all know Windows 7 hasn't supported for some time now. As a result my present studio machine is on a glide path into the dirt. I thought I'd be proactive a couple yrs (yeah, years :oops:) ago and buy a Windows 10 machine with the specs (then) that I wanted in preparation for this inevitable time. I spent a few days a couple months ago populating the new machine with everything I have on THIS machine..
    So a couple days ago I undertook the PIA process of changing over. I thought while I was at it, I would upgrade my 40" 720dpi monitor to a 43" 1080dpi monitor. It never occurred to me that the new machine would not have a HDMI out. The old Win 7 machine does. And contrary to popular belief you cannot run a HDMI Tv/Monitor with a VGA /HDMI coupler. Oh you can hook it up but the TV/Monitor will not recognize the signal. VGA is analog, HDMI is digital. So, I ordered a Display port to HDMI adapter and I'll be damned, it works!!! Except all icons are off the screen as is the tool bar :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead:

I should have just bought a lap top and an Apollo interface in the beginning like my gut told me to.

I did get the monitor off the desk tho. I can't recommend a large monitor for working with wav files highly enough :bow-blue:

My studio engineer Smeagol / Gollum on his new perch with his ever present "WTF are you doing NOW" look on his face :D

Bytor

Re: Studio Woes

Sorry fellas.. I thought I'd post something a little different in the recording section because not all issues those of us that have home studios encounter are sonic in nature :?

My lil home "studio" is more than I need at this point. The pic is dark. It's the way I like it in here ..

In the left side rack, top to bottom
Furman M-8x2
PRS MT15
Lexicon MPX100.. Not sure why
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Kahayan 8x4 Amp and Cab switcher.. Other amps off screen to the left.
Fractal Audio AxeFxIII Mk II Routed for effects loops in the tube amps and lesser for modeling
At the bottom, another Lexicon unit. Again, no reason why
Behringer V amp Pro.. Purely sentimental reasons..

Middle rack
Presonus 1824c interface
Junk drawer with "Keep it Simple Stupid" and "Le Studio" magnets
And an "Evil Eye" brought back from Greece.
https://realgreekexperiences.com/evil-eye-in-greece

Right rack
Furman RP-8L
8 channel rack mixer.. EVERYTHING is routed thru it
Helix rack unit.. For Bass and Vox
Fractal Audio AxeFx Std... The Devil I know..... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
 At the bottom, The infamous Win7 dedicated DAW housing machine
Oh and almost visible is my sparse pedal board low center
Just below the M Audio 49 key conroller
Digitech Whammy DT,, Obligatory Tube screamer and Behringer Hellbabe Wah (can't recommend highly enough)

Did I mention Smeagol? :music-deathmetal:

Anyhow, posts have been sparse as of late so excuse my self indulgent small home studio tour..
25lbs of shit in a 10lb sack
:obscene-buttred:

Dinosaur David B

Nice set up.

I have to upgrade my studio computer every 5 years or so. It's always the worst part of things. And once I have stuff working, I won't upgrade the OS unless I absolutely have to.

As for monitors, I prefer two normal sized ones over one big one. One for the session, one for the mixer when necessary, the browser and everything else. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
merlo_zeppelin

I've been running on Windows 7 since 2012, same PC, no issues. I've been using the same DAW and plug-ins for like 7 years now, I never update anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Bytor

Dinosaur wrote: Nice set up.

I have to upgrade my studio computer every 5 years or so. It's always the worst part of things. And once I have stuff working, I won't upgrade the OS unless I absolutely have to.

As for monitors, I prefer two normal sized ones over one big one. One for the session, one for the mixer when necessary, the browser and everything else. 

Thanks, it's my sanctuary. ;)

Bytor

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:48 pm I've been running on Windows 7 since 2012, same PC, no issues. I've been using the same DAW and plug-ins for like 7 years now, I never update anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It started shutting down for no reason. I DL'ed a program call "Driver Easy" that periodically looks for driver updates for everything connected to the machine. The issue appeared to be outdated display drivers of all things. I love 7! This is my second dedicated studio 7 machine. I never hook to the interweb. For Ariel's Attic purposes everything I sent went to a flash drive and then to a dropbox thru another machine. Anything incoming got scanned, put on the flash drive and then imported to the Studio machine.

I have a shit ton amount of plugins. Just updating my Toontrack stuff takes a while :(

Haffner

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:48 pm I've been running on Windows 7 since 2012, same PC, no issues. I've been using the same DAW and plug-ins for like 7 years now, I never update anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Windows 8 here, had my Dell for 5 years still going strong. I've found Dell to be perfect for me. 

Cubase 8 for years now; been using Cubase alone since 2009. Before that was Audacity,
I have a shit ton amount of plugins. Just updating my Toontrack stuff takes a while :(

Superior Drummer, great one for me. 

Bytor

I have Superior Drummer 3 and EZD 3. I like the Bandmate function in EZD3. I just did updates at Toontrack. I have 31 Toontrack programs and plugins :oops:
 Yes, I have the disease  :oops:

Last edited by Bytor on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Nick

Wow!
Wouldn't have a clue where to start, wish I did. 
Any recording we do is one of the Scarlett interfaces into a Macbook Pro. 
Bytor

Dr wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:15 pm Wow!
Wouldn't have a clue where to start, wish I did. 
Any recording we do is one of the Scarlett interfaces into a Macbook Pro. 

It's not nearly as complicated as you may think. Otherwise I would be clueless as well. ;)
I just uploaded the entire first album we did. Recently remastered, for anyone bored.. Recorded about 6-7 yr yrs ago  :shock: Wow,, time.....

With the technology at hand then.. It did pretty well despite the sad state of the music industry.

https://mixposure.com/ariels-attic/audio