NENA- Memories

A pressure-free environment where members can discuss any NON-Dino players and music without having their heads bitten off by the angry Dinos. IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT DINO MUSIC, DON'T COME HERE.
eduardoritos

NENA- Memories

For various reasons, lastly I'm on a melancly mod.
I've turned 51 two weeks ago; in the past two years, I lost my cousin, the one I'd played dance gigs 30 years ago (great musician), my 93 years old aunt, almost second mother; my brother-in-law (53 years old).
My father turns 91 next december, so  I think he will remains with us for not many time (I can bet 6 or 7 years, knowing family antecedents).

Not only that, some people in my town, people I knew and meet from my youth passed two.

And world is turning bad, very obscure future.

Being that way, I turn to my memories and my surprise is how deep that band is on me, with only two songs (99 red ballons and Leuchtturm).

Listening to this takes me back to 1983, when I was 12 years old only, and this german thing was big on Europe; that mix of pop and punk, prior to my hard rock conversion.

It's a familiar voice; I can't listen to my mothers voice anymore (I have no recording from here) but this make me feel like a kid again.

I've thought a lot about how youtube makes time to be arrestend on a loop;  you can watch and listen to the very same things you was listening back then.
This is something only posible after 100 years and I think this is good and bad at the same time. You can take to this moment the things you where familiar with (voices, sounds, images) but this, maybe, can difficult to follow your life, your path, because you can be inside this loop, not leting something new comming.

I don't know, maybe is the 50 years depression.

In any case, I love the songs, the girl, the band, the vintage G&L guitar, those so 80 sounding keyboards... and Nena's voice, like velvet.

Dinosaur David B

Re: NENA- Memories

That was a great pop song, and she was easy on the eyes.

These days, when world seems so shitty, and does seem to be getting worse all the time, I find watching nostalgic things from simpler, better times are getting to me emotionally. (I'm not suggesting it helps).  The most glaring example was watching the recent Beatles Get Back. That just ripped me up.

The impact has to do with an overwhelming sense of loss, of which there has been quite a lot. Both personal and collective. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
merlo_zeppelin

Re: NENA- Memories

I find myself reaching for nostalgic things as well, and feeling melancholic, and I'm only 30!!!! Sometimes I feel like I would give anything to spend a day in 2005, or 1998.
Nothing breaks your heart like watching your loved ones suffer or die.
But there´s always stuff  to live for and feel happy about, even in these shitty times. I know it takes some effort sometimes, but there´s always stuff to look forwards too.
Love those Nena hits. 80s pop was great, it never goes away for a reason.