Steve Morse sits out DP tour - Replacement Simon McBride

Here's a place for current news items that may be of interest to forumites.
merlo_zeppelin

Steve Morse sits out DP tour - Replacement Simon McBride

https://blabbermouth.net/news/deep-purp ... -announced

I apologize if this was posted before. I couldn't find it.
Unanfortunately Steve´s wife is battling cancer so he won't be touring with Purple in order to take care of her. I know a lot of guys don't like his style for DP,  I saw the band once and I really liked him. Anyway, It might be a good (and the only) oportunity to se the band with another guitar player.
I've never heard of Simon McBride, apparently, he has played with Gillan and Don Airey before.
The guy can really play, but he doesn't sound anything like Blackmore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKVneBqG1_M

Dinosaur David B

Re: Steve Morse sits out DP tour - Replacement Simon McBride

HEADLINE:
Steve Morse sits out Deep Purple tour. No one notices. 

:lol:

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

I have seen Purple twice, both with Morse. I am too young to have seen any other incarnation.

I have always thought Morse is an awesome player, but totally wrong for DP. IMHO, he is no dino, and you need that to play in that band.

That said, I liked what I saw very much, for what it was... Airey stole the show both times, actually. 

There's also his wrist issues. He seems to be having a lot of health problems in recent years due to his particular technique.
Old School

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:01 pm

Never heard of the guy, but I enjoyed that. He's got some chops.

Best wishes to Steve & his bride.
Duojett71

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:01 pm I've never heard of Simon McBride, apparently, he has played with Gillan and Don Airey before.

Morse doesn't sound like Blackmore either.....but both Morse and from what I can tell of this clip from McBride are players that can copy another guitarists parts without much difficulty. This guy McBride actually does sound similar to Morse. Since Blackmore left DP I don't think the band was looking for a Blackmore clone...that was obvious with the choice of Morse. 

eduardoritos

Duojett71 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:39 pm
merlo_zeppelin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:01 pm I've never heard of Simon McBride, apparently, he has played with Gillan and Don Airey before.

Morse doesn't sound like Blackmore either.....but both Morse and from what I can tell of this clip from McBride are players that can copy another guitarists parts without much difficulty. This guy McBride actually does sound similar to Morse. Since Blackmore left DP I don't think the band was looking for a Blackmore clone...that was obvious with the choice of Morse. 

You can avoid comparison by simply not letting room to compare. 

Old School

Well, it's official. Steve is out of the band:

Steve Morse to step away from Deep Purple permanently: band pay tribute

What a sad situation.  I know he wasn't everyone's ideal Blackmore replacement, but I enjoyed what he brought to the band,
Stitsel

Props to him for putting his wife 1st. What a bummer situation, hope the best for them. 
That said.....what is Purple going to do now? Amazingly, Gillan/Glover/Paice seem energized & ready to keep going....McBride was a worthy stand-in ....but that's all it felt to me. Although the band pretty much died for me the moment Blacker's exited, there's always been that small part of me that's been happy to see them continue, whether it was to my taste or not. I've always begrudgingly held some respect to them for continuing, even bought the odd post-Blackmore LP here & there.....so I honestly hope it's not the end of the road for them, but they need to get a true Dino guitarist. I get that they've never wanted a Ritchie clone, but at a certain point they need to admit that his style & flair is what made that band....what gave Purple that unpredictable urgency. Get back to basics Purple, get a rip snortin' axe slinger & go out in style dammit.
Vandenberg

`The cynic and the fan in me says get Mr Blackmore back, do a world tour, bank a big bag of money each, then call it a day, simple fact, they don't have long left.

Last edited by Vandenberg on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iplayLouD

The problem is that Ritchie can barely play anymore. Then again, Gillan’s singing is +/- at the same level so it could be a match.

Paice and Airey still rock though.