Steve Morse sits out DP tour - Replacement Simon McBride

Here's a place for current news items that may be of interest to forumites.
iplayLouD

Re: Steve Morse sits out DP tour - Replacement Simon McBride

Simon is a better fit for this band but I can’t help but feel that this is some sort of downgrade. Steve was a world class virtuoso. Simon is… good. 

Tatosh Guitar

LerxstFan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:49 pm Other than Uli, I can't name any player that I have seen live who is as good. 

Shame on me, I forgot about Uli when I wrote my post. Probably the best concert I have ever been to... 

For what is worth, he was the opening act. Michael Schenker was the main draw. Both were out of the scale good that day. I was nervous about Mad Mikey because I have heard all sort of stories about him but he was excellent, in his own way. For the final jam, they played old UFO classics and neither one outplayed the other. As I said, maybe the best thing guitar wise I have ever seen... 
Old wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:58 pm They just announced Simon as the permanent replacement. Not surprising.

He is a good fit. I would totally go see them with him...

Dinosaur David B

playLouD wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:33 pm Simon is a better fit for this band but I can’t help but feel that this is some sort of downgrade. Steve was a world class virtuoso. Simon is… good. 

It really is about FIT.  He doesn't need to do all the country and non-applicable-to-Deep Purple stuff that Morse could do. He just needs to do the DP stuff with the more Dino attitude that Morse never brought.  And from what I saw in some clips, Simon does that.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Stitsel

This. :text-goodpost:
Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur wrote: It really is about FIT.  He doesn't need to do all the country and non-applicable-to-Deep Purple stuff that Morse could do. He just needs to do the DP stuff with the more Dino attitude that Morse never brought.  And from what I saw in some clips, Simon does that.

Exactly. Guthrie Govan can probably outplay every other guitar player alive, and yet he would probably suck in DP. 

The magic in the original band (or well, as original as the classic Mark II was) was in their chemistry. Blackmore and Lord were amazing, sure, but it wouldn't have worked if the 5 members didn't work so well together. One listen at Made in Japan proves why many fan still hold them as the best band to ever exist. Not an individual effort, but a team one. 
iplayLouD

Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:58 pm
Dinosaur wrote: It really is about FIT.  He doesn't need to do all the country and non-applicable-to-Deep Purple stuff that Morse could do. He just needs to do the DP stuff with the more Dino attitude that Morse never brought.  And from what I saw in some clips, Simon does that.

Exactly. Guthrie Govan can probably outplay every other guitar player alive, and yet he would probably suck in DP. 

The magic in the original band (or well, as original as the classic Mark II was) was in their chemistry. Blackmore and Lord were amazing, sure, but it wouldn't have worked if the 5 members didn't work so well together. One listen at Made in Japan proves why many fan still hold them as the best band to ever exist. Not an individual effort, but a team one. 

I'd pay to hear Guthrie in DP. Maybe he's not Dino enough (though I argue that Guthrie is, deep down inside, a Dino), but the jams could be legendary.
Seven Moons

Judging from what I've heard of Simon McBride's music (admittedly, not much), I might actually like him better than Steve Morse in the context of Deep Purple - he seems bluesier and ballsier. Don't get me wrong, Steve is obviously an amazing musician but I always found his playing style a bit "foreign" in DP. I have a similar issue with Don Airey: he's another wonderful musician, but too far removed from Jon Lord's gnarly attitude and tone (and Lord was truly the core of the DP sound IMO).

merlo_zeppelin

That's really sad. He wrote a bery heartfelt post. Cancer sucks