Rata Blanca, Chihuahua Mexico 04 21 2022

Put any concert reviews you might want to do, here.
Tatosh Guitar

Rata Blanca, Chihuahua Mexico 04 21 2022

So, after 2 years, that felt like 20, of not going anywhere and not seeing anyone, as well as a lot of personal loss, I went to a live concert last night.

I almost didn't go, but it is my birthday next week and my wife decided to get me a ticket, so off I went. I am glad I did, cause two of my closest friends, who I see every once in a blue moon, were going as well, so I had someone to tag along. 

Counting this one, Rata Blanca is now officially the band I have seen the most times live, surpassing Maiden. It kinda helps that they actually tour the country, unlike other international acts that usually only play 3 dates here in the larger cities and that's it.

Rata Blanca (RB for their initials. RB= Ritchie Blackmore. Get it? LOL) are a Heavy Metal Argentinian band that's been active for over 30 years and that peaked critically and commercially in the early 90's, achieving big success in latin American countries playing what can best be described as Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow / Yngwie Malmsteen styled songs in Spanish. The guitar player, Walter Giardino, and singer Adrian Barilari are the only members left from the classic lineup, and considering they were always the most popular ones, the fans seem ok with this arrangement. 

I gotta say, this wasn't the best I have seen them (I don't think they will ever surpass the first time, back in 2000. They were incredible back then.) They were having sound issues the entire time, and let me tell you, I wouldn't have liked to be Walter's guitar tech. He got yelled the entire night!) but they were still pretty good. Adrian can still wail like nobody's business. He is no spring chicken and the high notes are still there. I was very impressed, as were my two friends, who basically worship him.

I have always been more of a casual listener. I have been listening to them since high school, but I don't know their songs by heart the way my friends clearly do. Guess I have spent more time listening to bands with english lyric songs, even if I don't really care for lyrics if I am completely honest. To me, the voice is another instrument.  

Walter was great, as he usually is. I think he has eased a bit on the Yngwiesisms that made people label him a clone back in the 90's, but his Blackmore worship is still there, maybe not so much on his newer songs but you can still hear it in his soloing. Which is pretty understandable, since that's basically the way he plays. Only the songs that heavily featured sweep picking arpeggios originally still showcase that part of his playing, and don't get me wrong, he can still play like a demon possessed when he wants, but he is more confortable doing what seems to be his own thing these days. He is still playing the same red strat I saw him with the last time, big CBS headstock with 21 frets, which I think is a reissue. I guess he is is leaving his original 70's strats home nowadays. He was also playing thru a Marshall JCM 800, as usual, but even if I was pretty close, I couldn't see what pedals or anything else he was using.

15 years ago, I used to say they were the best option to see Rainbow, as the real thing was basically non-existant, only in Spanish. That kinda still applies, but they sound more original nowadays, even if they are still firmly inspired, if that makes sense.

All in all, a great time was had. Songs were sung, people seemed ecstatic (the place was pretty crowded, although not as much as when I saw Accept in that same venue a few years ago), and I got inspired to grab my guitar, something that really hasn't been the case in the last months. If you live in a latin American country and they play close to you, their show is highly entertaining, and if you like everything Blackmore with a touch of Alcatrazz /early Rising Force Yngwie, you will love this. 

Haffner

Re: Rata Blanca, Chihuahua Mexico 04 21 2022

Probably smart of Walter to leave his 70s Strats at home, why risk theft, right?

He is a really good player, and like Joe Stump it's fun to pick out the at times subtle Blackmore-isms in his playing.
merlo_zeppelin

It makes me happy and proud to see my fellow countrymen being discussed here in the DRG forum!!!
Walter and Rata Blanca have consistently been one of the best bands from Argentina.
For some years now I've been playing a drummer who has played with Adrian Barilari, Rata Blanca's singer.
Tatosh Guitar

Haffner wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 pm Probably smart of Walter to leave his 70s Strats at home, why risk theft, right?

He is a really good player, and like Joe Stump it's fun to pick out the at times subtle Blackmore-isms in his playing.

The first two times I saw him, he had a white Strat, sorta like Uli's, and a natural finish one pretty similar to the one Ritchie played in Rainbow. Those were gorgeous. But at some point, the risk of losing an axe like that is too big and insurance companies start getting nervous. I think at that point he started taking YJM signatures on the road, but I am not sure about the one he is been playing the last couple tours, mainly because I have never seen a big CBS headstock 70's style Strat in candy red, but I suppose you can always refinish a guitar.

I have seen Stump live as well. He is the other guy I always think about when I think of RB / YJM styled players that have it down. I wouldn't say Walter is subtle in anyway, that said. He has at least 3 songs that sound almost identical to Street of Dreams (Mujer Amante the most obvious, but there is also Aun estas en mis Sueños and a couple others). He also employs variations of the Highway Star riff all the time, and his solos are probably the closest to Ritchie i have ever heard, when he is not doing the super speed thing of course. 

I actually heard Rata Blanca before I ever heard Yngwie, or Deep Purple. At the time they sounded pretty original, and Walter seemed incredible to us aspiring guitar players. I still remember the face of my then girlfriend the first time I played her an Yngwie album. She was actually pretty bummed lol. 

I would say both Joe, Walter and Timo Tolkki (the Stratovarius guy) have the Ritchie thing but employing the YJM techniques for speed, with Yngwie being also hugely into RB, but Yngwie got the speed thing from Uli, IMHO. And I don't really hear a lot of Uli on the other guys, asides of what they got from Yngwie himself, if that makes sense. 
merlo_zeppelin wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:21 pm It makes me happy and proud to see my fellow countrymen being discussed here in the DRG forum!!!
Walter and Rata Blanca have consistently been one of the best bands from Argentina.
For some years now I've been playing a drummer who has played with Adrian Barilari, Rata Blanca's singer.

Yeah, me and my friends have been listening to those guys for almost 30 years. I have always thought Rata Blanca and Walter should be discussed here, as they are totally Dino in every sense, but the Spanish thing keeps them from being better known asides of Latin America. 

I think I like Adrian more now than back in the day. He seems to have improved a lot, and those high pitched screams 3 feet away from the mic are nothing sort of impressive.  

What is the name of your drummer, if I may ask? My friend who went to the concert with me is probably the biggest Barilari fan in the world and is heavily into Argentinian rock. he might know who he is. 

merlo_zeppelin

His name is Fabian Bruno,  he played with Adrian in a band called Alianza.
Tatosh Guitar

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:14 pm His name is Fabian Bruno,  he played with Adrian in a band called Alianza.

Oh yeah, I remember that band. Late 90’s I think. I am pretty sure my pal still has that CD somewhere… wasn’t Bistolfi in that band as well?
merlo_zeppelin

Yes he was! And they had great guitar players like Daniel Telis (RIP) and Gonzalo Ledesma.
M11

I've seen Rata Blanca many times but always as an opening act and not headlining a concert, but the shows were great anyways. Giardino is a monster player, and as a kid who hadn't listened to much of Rainbow but a lot of Malmsteen, he was the "Argentine Malmsteen" to me. Years later, when I discovered Rainbow, I saw the Blackmore connection.
Tatosh wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 8:41 pm Rata Blanca (RB for their initials. RB= Ritchie Blackmore. Get it? LOL) are a Heavy Metal Argentinian band that's been active for over 30 years and that peaked critically and commercially in the early 90's, achieving big success in latin American countries playing what can best be described as Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow / Yngwie Malmsteen styled songs in Spanish.

Fun Fact: their ballad Mujer Amante is immensely popular in karaoke bars here. :lol:

Tatosh Guitar

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:00 am Yes he was! And they had great guitar players like Daniel Telis (RIP) and Gonzalo Ledesma.

So I spoke to my buddy about this. I was right, he knows who all these guys are. But he was not aware Telis passed. He was pretty bummed, and he actually sent me a link of his Spotify list. Great player, such a shame he is gone.

My buddy loves Argentina, for some reason, and he hasn't even been there. He is they guy who will buy a shirt of the national selection and he doesn't even like football... you get the idea. 
M11 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:03 pm I've seen Rata Blanca many times but always as an opening act and not headlining a concert, but the shows were great anyways. Giardino is a monster player, and as a kid who hadn't listened to much of Rainbow but a lot of Malmsteen, he was the "Argentine Malmsteen" to me. Years later, when I discovered Rainbow, I saw the Blackmore connection.

Fun Fact: their ballad Mujer Amante is immensely popular in karaoke bars here. :lol:

That was the same for me, I only got the Blackmore thing until I was more familiar with DP/Rainbow. At first. I thought Walter was only an Yngwie clone. Although to be honest, I think Walter actually plays for the song, like Ritchie. For Yngwie, songs are only a vehicle for soloing...

Not surprised about Mujer Amante. Rainbow inspired / lifted or not, it's actually a good song. Even my parents (the most anti rock people you could ever meet) seemed to enjoy it when I would play it as a teenager. 
eduardoritos

If you're Glenn Hugues, and you need a backing band in Argentina, it's the obvious option.