Iommi sound in a pedal

A forum for discussing guitar effects.
Dinosaur David B

Iommi sound in a pedal

Gonna give this a try. It basically models a 70s Laney Supergroup preamp section, and the knob dials in the Rangemaster Treble booster. Run it through your amp's FX loop return to bypass the amps preamp section and use just the poweramp section, so you effectively turn a Marshall or whatever into a 70s Laney Supergroup. I've been wanting that sound for a long time. This sounds very close to me.

https://youtu.be/OxUog9kewHU

https://doesitdoom.com/product/walpurgis/

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Stitsel

Iommi sound in a pedal

I have one of these DDave.....it sounds pretty good, but you have to really dial it in to get it to sound right...
Dinosaur David B

Iommi sound in a pedal

I like that this new one is basically a Supergroup preamp in a pedal.
Tatosh Guitar

Iommi sound in a pedal

That definitelly sounds closer than anything I have ever heard before.

Haffner

Iommi sound in a pedal

Sounds excellent, especially on Killing Yourself to Live.
Seven Moons

Iommi sound in a pedal

Sounds pretty close to '70-'75 Iommi, indeed.
Dinosaur David B

Iommi sound in a pedal

Seven Moons said:

Sounds pretty close to '70-'75 Iommi, indeed.

[/quote]
Yeah, I figure it'll be great to have for recording.
Dinosaur David B

Iommi sound in a pedal

So first recording tests with this thing are a mixed bag.

It failed utterly as a preamp into the FX return on my Fargen, and my Bogner ATMA (bypassing the amps' preamp sections). Was seemingly no way to dial in those amps' power tube saturation, so it was all ratty preamp gain coming from the pedal.

Tried with the Ampeg that has 2 6v6s and it got the tubes involved, but those tubes don't create the right thing either.

Finally tried it with the Hoffmann Marshall and that worked. It bypassed the Marshall's preamp, and got the power tube saturation. Sounded good, but even so, the tone didn't scream Laney Supergroup/Iommi to my ears.

Guessing that means the pedal isn't set up to perform as a preamp pedal in low-wattage amps. It may need a full-size amp/transformer to do the deed.

The tech support is REALLY GOOD. I was on with the guy on Messenger for a while. He was quite helpful and friendly. He suggested I also try the pedal IN FRONT of the amp with the amp "set clean to edge of breakup or slight crunch."

I will try that too, and that may be a better route. Obviously you can't completely negate the amp's own character that way, but if it's set clean enough, the Laney sound might shine through, regardless.

Duojett71

Iommi sound in a pedal

Stitsel said:

I have one of these DDave.....it sounds pretty good, but you have to really dial it in to get it to sound right...

[/quote]
Catalinbread makes some great stuff. I have their RAH Overdrive...which is the Jimmy Page pedal and I have the Naga Viper, which is their treble booster. That Sabbra Cadabra, as you already know, is the treble booster with the Iommi overdrive in one pedal. I have heard great things about it. The Naga Viper is great but like any treble booster it gets noisy and in my rehearsal room, it amplifies a lot of radio frequencies when combined with a lot of gain.
MAdX

Iommi sound in a pedal

Bit off topic maybe, but this might actually be the secret ingredient in nailing the tone on those records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozz9wwc ... anSegeborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-RQGhw ... anSegeborn

I bought a pair off Reverb and I'm currently running them stereo with a greenback cab. Sound is MASSIVE. They seem to be giving definition and filling in all those frequencies that the greenbacks are lacking.