Gates of Babylon solo

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Bent out of shape

Gates of Babylon solo

Obviously a masterpiece, the way he finds licks that seem to match every complex chord change, perfectly, probably after many takes. No wonder he didnt want to risk playing it live!

David Stone who wrote the middle section, is a Facebook friend of mine and has explained how he drew out a chart for the changes and was paid a fee for doing so, rather than be credited as a co writer. Classic Bruce Payne (Ritchie's manager) rip off!

Anyone had any joy improvising, navigating, understanding......help....eeek etc this one? There's sections where you can improvise over eg Cminor, before there s some demonic chord change or chromatic inversion. Then there's the descending F# Minor sequence, again, manageable......then that classic RB lick over the B7.

In between however I haven't a clue, any thoughts?
Dinosaur David B

Gates of Babylon solo

It's probably less complicated than you think. @"Andy G" ?

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Gates of Babylon solo

I read an interview with Blackmore, probably from back when this was new, where he says that the solo of that song is the most difficult he has ever played. Big words.
Haffner

Gates of Babylon solo

He mentioned in Guitar Player it being his best.

It's certifiably brilliant, imo. I so love the dynamics, not to mention how indicative of Ritchie's guitar voice it is. So many licks are just so "him", and there are things that became regular in his vocabulary after.

It always irks me when I see Malmsteen call Blackmore all blues when he so obviously wasn't. Sure, many of his solos and songs were (delightfully) bluesy, but how many people were playing licks like the one at the end of the "Pictures of Home" solo in 1972? Or the Snake Charmer scale he started playing...geez, was it late 69?

Both Gates of Babylon and Sails of Charon were the beginning of all KINDS of great things in Rock and Metal, including both Rhoads and Malmsteen,

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

The Seeker

Gates of Babylon solo

I seem to remember Bumblefoot doing this live with one of those 'Supergroups' - Cant remember which one, but Billy Sheehan was bound to be in it !!

Gonna look for it ...
Bent out of shape

Gates of Babylon solo

Haffner said:

He mentioned in Guitar Player it being his best.

It's certifiably brilliant, imo. I so love the dynamics, not to mention how indicative of Ritchie's guitar voice it is. So many licks are just so "him", and there are things that became regular in his vocabulary after.

It always irks me when I see Malmsteen call Blackmore all blues when he so obviously wasn't. Sure, many of his solos and songs were (delightfully) bluesy, but how many people were playing licks like the one at the end of the "Pictures of Home" solo in 1972? Or the Snake Charmer scale he started playing...geez, was it late 69?

Both Gates of Babylon and Sails of Charon were the beginning of all KINDS of great things in Rock and Metal, including both Rhoads and Malmsteen,

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

[/quote]
I agree 100%, yes he was using that scale in 69 on Mandrake Root, which also had the first example of that kind of faux classical pull off/arpeggios motif as far as I'm aware
Bent out of shape

Gates of Babylon solo

The Seeker said:

I seem to remember Bumblefoot doing this live with one of those 'Supergroups' - Cant remember which one, but Billy Sheehan was bound to be in it !!

Gonna look for it ...

[/quote]
Yes, it was watching that video that drew me back to Babylon, it's pretty good imho
eduardoritos

Gates of Babylon solo

Not so difficult if you know the chords.

They're not strange scales. It modulates between some minor tones.

You have the common note(s), go for it.
Bent out of shape

Gates of Babylon solo

Thanks, what actually are the chords. Middle section starts on Cminor then.....F# minor? The descending part..... ending on B7 is the only part I understand.

eduardoritos

Gates of Babylon solo

Later today I'll try doing a chart for you.