So, I guess I've watched and tried hundreds of videos

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Bytor

On sweeping..

And I STILL suck at it :s

Anyone else still suck sweeping too?

Seriously, as much time and effort as I've invested in this technique, I really shouldn't still be this bad at it :/

Tatosh Guitar

Even with Troy Grady’s stuff?

i have it on good authority that guy can do wonders for speed playing, specially if you wanna nail Yngwie’s style of string sweeping.
TravisW

I think the biggest difficulty I had (and still do sometimes) is using the technique at intermediate speeds. I tend to just pick slower arpeggios, or can economy pick but have that pause between strings. Or, with relatively fast sweeps the the pick glides nicely from string to string. But when it's a little too slow for "fast" sweeps and a little too fast for picking, that's where I wind up putting in the most work.
Dinosaur David B

I'm no sweep picker and have never tried to be. The only thing I can tell you with certainty is that if you're practicing the wrong thing, or the right thing the wrong way, you just will not progress. Doesn't matter how many years or decades you try, you will not progress.

That said, if you find the right teacher, the right way to approach it, the right things to practice, and you put in the hours, you WILL progress -- even at age 50+. I'm playing things these days I wouldn't have thought possible only a few years ago.

I have no idea whether this will help you with your sweep picking, but this guy is a very good teacher.

https://youtu.be/-tob2N4dze8

As is this one:

https://youtu.be/GtHupBqQtYQ

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Bytor

Thanks guys.. Been over Ben's vids numerous times.. One of the few I follow on YT..Old Dog, New Tricks keeps popping into my head :/

I just want to be proficient..

eduardoritos

The reason why I'n dont sweep better its because I dont think that could be usefull for me.

I listen to Gambale or Becquer and yeah, amszing, but not for me.

I can do some arpeggios but no more.

I use the sweeping thig my way, in some lines. More economy picking than sweep.

As always, If it's many hours/days work to play and sound like another player, I pass.
Tatosh Guitar

eduardoritos said:

The reason why I'n dont sweep better its because I dont think that could be usefull for me.

I listen to Gambale or Becquer and yeah, amszing, but not for me.

I can do some arpeggios but no more.

I use the sweeping thig my way, in some lines. More economy picking than sweep.

As always, If it's many hours/days work to play and sound like another player, I pass.

[/quote]

Strong words from a man who can play No Parole For Rock and Roll from start to finish. I have seen the videos, dude... LOL. You can play those solos better than many so called Yngwie clones...

eduardoritos

Sometings I'm incongruent :D
Andy G

Sweeping seems to cause a lot of people problems. Usually it's a case of using improper or irregular form and/or simply not practising enough. It's certainly tricky to get to grips with when you start and like any advanced technique, it takes discipline and dedication. It's also tempting to rush things, which is the downfall of a great many sweepers - you'll hear the first and last notes, but the middle part is a blur.... But I promise you - if you really want to do it, you can.

As a guideline, it takes 3000 to 5000 repetitions of a mechanic before it STARTS to make an impact on muscle memory/brain elasticity. And obviously this needs to be using proper form... There are established formulas for the basic arpeggio shapes (though not everybody sticks to them) in terms of what shape you play and which notes are swept and which are hammered. If you try to sweep pick every single note, you'll tie yourself in knots. As for the formulas - that's where a teacher comes in. Either though an online course or with a real teacher who knows their stuff.

But based on 3-5k repetitions, you could consider it a case of sitting there and constantly doing repetitions for about 45 minutes... Which is... insanely... boring... But... try it for 1 minute. Then two. Then five. Practice every day and don't neglect it. You'll get those repetitions done and it will come to you - I promise you :) Just don't give up on it.

It's not a technique that particularly interested me, as none of the players I really like actually do any sweeping. But I learned to do it and an anecdote I can give you is... I remember a very good friend of mine who had been frustrated with sweeping for YEARS... and they learned to sweep properly - in one summer. Just being methodical and doing dedicated practice. They started out quite ropey but stuck with it - and then ended up being well known for sweeping and doing YT tutorials on it. And that was somebody who'd been playing for 25+ years and was quite set in their ways... It CAN be done! :)

Eclipse II

Check out Chris Brooks’ books. The guy’s material is excellent.