Glenn Hughes, Burning live Japan

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Bent out of shape

Wow, hadn't heard this before, sensational! Apart from the amazing vocals, the guitarists have put a heck of a lotta effort into recreating the original parts, eg the Lady Double solo, its kind of obvious but I never realised the solo started on a major third, I got your number, great to hear the harmony parts done just like the recording. Lots more...... anyone else love this?
Bent out of shape

Just come across the music appreciation review, excellent feature........!
Dinosaur David B

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Donthegreek

One of my all time favorite albums.

eduardoritos

So, back band from EUROPE with two other guitar players.

Glenn Hughes - all lead vocals (keyboards on "Still In Love With You")Thomas Larsson - guitars/background vocalsEric Bojfeldt - guitars/background vocalsMic Michaeli - keyboards/background vocalsJon Levén - bass guitarIan Haugland - drums

Bent out of shape

Dinosaur David B said:

http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/215

[/quote]

Fantastic review David, thanks. Totally agree, never heard this before..... just love it!
Dinosaur David B

I went back and listened to that album on my commute this AM. Not that it isn't jaw-dropping, but MAN does he OVER SING on this stuff! :o Melisma-ing like a Diva!

But that's what people want to hear from him.* You got an instrument like that, you better use it! And it was clearly one of those magical gigs where he was warmed-up, and clearly felt confident that he could do anything with his voice that night. AND tape was rolling! I have several live recordings of him, and while they're all at a baseline of amazing, I don't think he ever surpassed how he sang on the BJL show. He was really in the zone that night.

* Honestly, when you see Glenn live, the amount of over singing and screaming grates on my nerves a little more than it used to. Of course, when he stopped doing that around the time of his album Addiction, it was sorely missed.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Duojett71

I just listened to the first 8 songs. It is really good especially the first 4 songs......but yeah you are right Hughes does over sing big time. Hughes has a great voice but that over singing/shrieking thing is really annoying. I never liked that aspect of his singing....at all.
Tatosh Guitar

Duojett71 said:

I just listened to the first 8 songs. It is really good especially the first 4 songs......but yeah you are right Hughes does over sing big time. Hughes has a great voice but that over singing/shrieking thing is really annoying. I never liked that aspect of his singing....at all.

[/quote]
This has always been my issue with him, basically. I like his voice, always have. I fully believe he is a freak of nature, and god smiled on him the day he gave him that gift. However, he does definitely over sing. That can get old fast.

However, this album is truly awesome. I am listening to it for the first time, which is weird because I actually remember being intrigued by it years and years ago (it was actually advertised in old guitar magazines of the 90's, like GW and GFTPM. ) I also remember reading Dave's review posted above 15 or so years ago and I still didn't check it out. Shame on me.

Thanks for reminding me I needed to listen to this.

Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur David B said:

But that's what people want to hear from him.* You got an instrument like that, you better use it! And it was clearly one of those magical gigs where he was warmed-up, and clearly felt confident that he could do anything with his voice that night. AND tape was rolling! I have several live recordings of him, and while they're all at a baseline of amazing, I don't think he ever surpassed how he sang on the BJL show. He was really in the zone that night.

[/quote]
I am surprised to see he didn't play Bass on this. It might have happened on several occasions before, but i don't think i had ever noticed. Maybe he had a better chance to concentrate on his voice because he wasn't playing too, so the results were better vocally?