K.K. Downing-Heavy Duty: Days and Nights in Judas Priest

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Duojett71

Sancho said:

I like Turbo.

[/quote]
So do I. 'Ram It Down' was supposed to be the second half of 'Twin Turbos'...when they had the idea of doing a double album. It was supposed to be the "heavier" half of the release. Had 'Ram It Down' been released along with 'Turbo' I think it would have been much better than it turned out 2 years later. 'Ram It Down' suffers from the sequenced drum machines and overly processed guitar sound.....which is also why I don't care for 'Painkiller'. 'Turbo' I think is a cool album though...even if half of it is Priest playing radio friendly songs. They did it well.
Dr Nick

Just finished it. It's quite a dry read, not a lot of emotion - and I'm amazed he can be so matter-of-fact about his childhood and teens, sounds absolutely awful.

And kudos for starting relatively late and powering through with sheer determination. Much like Glenn in that sense, I gather he didn't start playing guitar until his late teens.

I didn't get many laughs, unlike the Bruce or Luke books, and I would have liked a bit more on how he/they came up with ideas, but there was enough information to keep me interested.

And now I need to listen to the discography - I'm one of those who got SfV, missed DotF, got Turbo, and that was it.

Shocking.

Although I've played Living After Midnight at gigs.

His dubious relationship with Glenn cuts through the whole book, although clearly they got on most of the time, otherwise they wouldn't have been golf/tennis/holiday buddies.

And his reflections on business mis-steps are a salutory lesson (passing on Top Gun: #facepalm).

I do find it a stretch to accept that he had misgivings for years, but because he's a "nice guy" he kept quiet. And clearly it's a biased account.

But not bad. Not the best I've read, but not bad.
Tatosh Guitar

Dr Nick said:

And now I need to listen to the discography - I'm one of those who got SfV, missed DotF, got Turbo, and that was it.

Shocking.

Although I've played Living After Midnight at gigs.

[/quote]
Get DotF ASAP. Everybit as good as SfV, maybe even better. I would also check Unleashed in the East, Stained Class and Sad Wings of Destiny. Those are my desert island Priest albums.

Dinosaur David B

I certainly never hated Turbo. I actually liked the SONG Turbo Lover. I understand the dislike of the sonic choices on that album, but as a SONG, I can't knock it.

At the risk of blasphemin' JP, for me is PLAYLIST of their best songs from all of their albums.

If I have to pick specific albums, it's Screaming, British Steel, and Defenders, but all of them have a degree of filler. I'd rather listen to the best tracks off of them than the whole record. For example, I may like the SONG Painkiller better than anything on their "best albums"

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Tatosh Guitar

Dinosaur David B said:

If I have to pick specific albums, it's Screaming, British Steel, and Defenders, but all of them have a degree of filler. I'd rather listen to the best tracks off of them than the whole record. For example, I may like the SONG Painkiller better than anything on their "best albums"

[/quote]
You have a point. Desert Plains, for example, is a totally awesome song from an otherwise weak and forgettable album. I like it more than some tracks on some more well received albums. That and say, Heading out the Highway could be on British Steel or Screaming for Vengeance.

I guess we could make a case for greatest hits albums, I would say...

Seven Moons

Tatosh Guitar said:

[/quote]You have a point. Desert Plains, for example, is a totally awesome song from an otherwise weak and forgettable album.

[/quote]
PoE has its ups and downs, but I think it's neither weak nor forgettable. It's just a continuation of the stripped-down approach of British Steel, maybe even simpler and rawer. I also love the production of that album, very natural sounding, with arguably the best guitar tones Glenn and KK ever had. The only real dud on PoE is "You Say Yes" with its annoying chorus. But then again, British Steel had "United" which was incredibly lame.

Tatosh Guitar

Seven Moons said:

[/quote]
PoE has its ups and downs, but I think it's neither weak nor forgettable. It's just a continuation of the stripped-down approach of British Steel, maybe even simpler and rawer. I also love the production of that album, very natural sounding, with arguably the best guitar tones Glenn and KK ever had. The only real dud on PoE is "You Say Yes" with its annoying chorus. But then again, British Steel had "United" which was incredibly lame.

[/quote]
You have a point. Maybe I was too harsh LOL. The guitar tones do indeed rule. And I must admit I have a soft spot for Hot Rockin’...

Point of Entry sounds like a natural follow up to British Steel, but I never found it as solid. That said, Desert Plains and The two other tracks I mentioned are as good as anything on British Steel.
Seven Moons

Tatosh Guitar said:

Seven Moons said:

[/quote]

[/quote]
You have a point. Maybe I was too harsh LOL. The guitar tones do indeed rule. And I must admit I have a soft spot for Hot Rockin’...

Point of Entry sounds like a natural follow up to British Steel, but I never found it as solid. That said, Desert Plains and The two other tracks I mentioned are as good as anything on British Steel.

[/quote]Yep, Hot Rockin has some kickass riffing, and a nifty solo section. I love Solar Angels too.
Tatosh Guitar

Seven Moons said:

Yep, Hot Rockin has some kickass riffing, and a nifty solo section. I love Solar Angels too.

[/quote]Totally forgot Solar Angels was on it. Yep, it's an awesome song indeed.

Donthegreek

On a side note: From Bravewords.com:

K.K. Downing has revealed that he is tentatively ready to start making music again. In a brand new interview with eonmusic, the former Judas Priest icon said everything was "ready to go", for a return to music.

Downing, who was a member of Judas Priest from their formation until 2011, has remained largely inactive, musically since parting ways with the Midlands' metal legends. In the interview however, he revealed that he's had more than one approach, with the word 'super group' being touted.

Said K.K.: "There’s been quite a lot of [offers], and I’m still talking to some people. A lot of people out there are thinking; 'Oh yeah, this would be great; I’m from this band, my good mate is from that really well known band, if we get KK'… We’re talking about the formation of a super group, which doesn’t really work these days."

Clarifying why he isn't interested in the idea of the super group, the guitarist said; "You get four or five guys from different bands; what songs are you going to play? What is the image of the band? There’s no real credentials; you’ve got a bit from this band, that band and the other band, but collectively, it doesn’t really have substance."

Without revealing names, Downing said that approaches were still ongoing about his involvement in such a project. "I’m still talking to some people", he said, before admitting; "I’ve kind of dismissed it, and that’s kind of where people are going with it. It’s so difficult. I’ve been doing this a long time with one band, and I’m far too seasoned now to; 1) want to start over again, and; 2) to be in a hybrid band".

He continued; "It doesn’t really work for me, so I’m having to tread very carefully. Some of these guys think we could make a great sound together - and I’m sure that we would - but you have to think; a lot of the people, they’re in different countries. When me, Ian and Rob got together, everybody was from the local area. Even Glenn was from Halesowen, which is about seven miles from where I was born, and Glenn was the furthest one away! That’s the way it was in those days. Now one’s in Nashville, one’s in Germany, so how this all works is quite difficult, really!"

However he admitted that he is thinking about music again, saying; "I have recently set up my music room and everything is poised, ready to go."

Finally, regarding his reluctance up until now, added; "I’m a bit fussy. If I played with another guitar player, I’d like to play with someone who’s really quite well-schooled, musically."