Lynch/Glover Ultraphonix -- first listen

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Dinosaur David B

I picked up the new album and I think I like it. However, it's a pretty different animal from what one might expect from Lynch.

If you're looking to hear loads of Lynch wailing lead work, THIS ISN'T THAT, and you'll likely be disappointed. There's a few good moments, but this isn't a "lead guitar album" per se. Ironically, it shows off some of George's depth in other aspects of playing.

It's more of a musical statement album. The emphasis and strength here are the songs, and Ultraphonix seems to be more about band and sound than it is about virtuosity (though the virtuosity is obviously apparent). Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing. There's some meat and depth in this music, the lyrics are interesting. This feels like a real band and that band has a sound -- though it might not be the sound Dokken/Lynch Mob fans want.

The music is experimental (not obnoxiously so) and often pretty trippy. While there are some bits that remind one of Living Color (Soul Control), I think more of it reminds me of Kings X (Baptism), mixed with Hendrix's trippier moments. Obviously George and Corey are great at their respective roles, but the band is darn good, too. The drummer bashes and grooves, and the bassist plays pretty busy.

Bottom line: This doesn't sound like something I've heard a million times before. And I think the songs have some hooks and stickiness to them. I think if you liked Living Color and Kings X, you'll enjoy this a lot.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Osky

Thanks for the review Dave... never been much into Dokken other than Lynch's solos but LC and Kings X are right up my street so this might be worth a punt, I'll check it out.
Dinosaur David B

It's on Spotify (and I think YouTube) if you want to try before you buy.
Sancho

I didn't know this was out yet. Just ordered it. Haven't heard the second song they released but Walk, Run, Crawl is so good I am optimistic. Which I haven't been for anything concerning George in a long time...
Donthegreek

Not your typical George....I like this because its different. Lot a potential here as a band. But being another side project with George, forget about seeing them live.
Dinosaur David B

It would have to sell enough to make going on the road viable.
Duojett71

I listened to the first 4 songs on Spotify and I think it is exceptional. I also think the solos rip. It does seem to be about the songs I agree but I am impressed with what George is doing.
Sancho

Finally listened to it. Motherfucker... Why can't George be arsed to play like this with Lynch Mob?

Killer album.
Gunner4Life

Only just heard the opening song Baptism, as I'm at work. I hope the rest is this good
Tatosh Guitar

Sancho said:

Finally listened to it. Motherfucker... Why can't George be arsed to play like this with Lynch Mob?

Killer album.

[/quote]
What's funny is that George said this was an easy album to make. Like they just got together and played. no planning, no focused songwriting.

If that's the case I think he really should work like this from now on.