Troy Grady

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Sirion

Troy Grady

Years ago, I remember Troy and Cracking the Code being spoken about every now and then on the forum. That, mind you, was before anything was even out. Now, there is a ton of stuff available, but I don't see it mentioned very much. The reason is probably that is quite pricey, but still: has anybody tried any of it? After all of these years my speed picking still has some way to go to become consistently at top speed, and this seemed very promising.

MelodicGrit

Troy Grady

I'm a CtC member and can vouch for the excellence of the products there. They're always doing new interviews, expounding on ideas, adding/revising content, etc. You could probably purchase Masters in Mechanics and get the gist of the various picking mechanics and plenty of licks to practice with there, but I look forward to the new interviews/articles etc.. so I'm paying $15 a month for that. I believe that as good as the site is now, it will get better and more organized over time. 2 thumbs up.
Joebuddha

Troy Grady

I have been a CTC member since the beginning. I recommend the pickslanting primer.

I use that with my students a lot and it definitely gives you what you need to know in terms of Troy's curriculum.

It also comes with a ton of Yngwie, Eric Johnson, McLaughlin and MAB licks.
Andy G

Troy Grady

I've been a member of CtC since the outset. There's a lot of really good information in there, but there's also a lot of padding, which some people might find frustrating in a world of instant gratification - especially as it's billed as "cracking the code" and giving guitarists the answers they have craved. The answers are there, you just have to wade through a lot of stuff to get there. I enjoyed Troy's history lessons and his personal learning path, but I know a lot guys who just want the answers and don't care about Troy's journey. It's not cheap, and not all the products are as useful as each other, but if you're a fan of any of the featured guitarists, then it's great stuff.

There are other guys out there who have adopted Troy's stuff for their own teaching products and they might be a bit more concise and to the point (and cheaper).

yngwie666

Troy Grady

Andy G said:

There are other guys out there who have adopted Troy's stuff for their own teaching products and they might be a bit more concise and to the point (and cheaper).

[/quote]
Like who ?

Andy G

Troy Grady

yngwie666 said:

Andy G said:

[/quote]
Like who ?

[/quote]
Chris Brooks. He uses different names for the pick slanting but it's the same principles.

Ben Eller. He's one of the more prolific guitar educators, and makes no attempt to hide the Troy influence.

Or just Google pick slanting :)
Dinosaur David B

Troy Grady

Yeah, Ben Eller is great, and he actively points people to Troy.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Joebuddha

Troy Grady

I have adopted the Troy stuff into my playing and teaching. I have been learning Yngwie tunes like it's going out of style because I finally get it!!!! I have been trying to play those tunes with regular Paul Gilbert style alternate picking for years to no avail and now it is so much easier.

I bought the Pickslanting Primer a few years ago and that has been revolutionary for me.
Eclipse II

Troy Grady

The question I have is do you really need to subscribe to CtC to learn what the whole pickslanting thing is about?

Ben Eller has a couple of videos on his YouTube channel which explain it very well.

Chris Brooks’ Neo Classical Speed Strategies also covers it and the Kindle version only set me back £4.99!
Dinosaur David B

Troy Grady

Eclipse II said:

The question I have is do you really need to subscribe to CtC to learn what the whole pickslanting thing is about?

Ben Eller has a couple of videos on his YouTube channel which explain it very well.

Chris Brooks’ Neo Classical Speed Strategies also covers it and the Kindle version only set me back £4.99!

[/quote]First off, you should be able to get enough out of most of these guys' free YouTube videos. Including Troy's.

And sure. Other guys break it down quicker. Troy tends to be very verbose, but if you're interested at the minutia-level, he's really good at doing that.

I also recommend Ben Higgins. He cuts-to-the-chase very well.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.