VH book by ex tour manager Noel Monk

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Bent out of shape

Has anyone read this? In excellent new UK magazine Rock candy ...this guy was their tour manager 78 to 84.. There's a 4 page interview with him and the comments are pretty explosive ... Planning to purchase at some point ....
Venomboy

I hope it’s better than the last VH book about their early days. That one felt like reading the worlds longest Wikipedia entry with a bunch of sourced quotes with author provided transitional

phrases.
Bent out of shape

Venomboy said:

I hope it’s better than the last VH book about their early days. That one felt like reading the worlds longest Wikipedia entry with a bunch of sourced quotes with author provided transitional

phrases.

[/quote]
Yes I hot that after positive reviews on here and must admit its pretty much stayed on the shelf ever since
Sancho

I read both. And found both to be enjoyable and informative. The book by Monk is the better of the two though, but Rising gives insight in the earliest workings of the band.
Venomboy

Rising was interesting as a history book but didn’t hold my attention. Felt 1 step above a Popoff book...endless quotes from other sources. No climax.

But what it did reinforce is that hard work pays off and if you want to kick ass then you better practice.
Sancho

Rising is about as for removed from a Popoff listicle as a bio gets :open_mouth:

I agree it doesn't exactly breathe research, but it's a smooth read, for one.
Duojett71

I need to pick the Monk book back up....I read the first 40 or so pages and got so busy with other things that I forgot about it. What I did read was good and well written.
kneprock

I liked the Monk book. Neither Van Halen brother comes off looking good, but I learned more about the business side of touring during that era.
Duojett71

I just finished the book last night. Very insightful for sure. Monk does a great job of describing what live was like with Van Halen. A few things I took away from this....Alex Van Halen is a huge dick and backstabber(something I already suspected), While Eddie was a musical genius....not much of a thinker....and he was certified nut job...and Michael Anthony got shit on by everyone in the band. No surprises about Roth....he is painted as a narcissistic egomaniac and defacto leader of the band.....but we already knew that.

There obviously are more than one side to the story....but I believe everything Monk says. He was shit on in the end by Alex and Eddie. Basically Alex had him ousted and Eddie went along with it. If it was not for Monk VH still may have been as big a band....but they never would have made the money they did or have held it together in the Roth era as long as they did.
Bytor

I ran across this last night for anyone who hasn't read this book..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUTq_WJZU5o