Scorpions Revisited - Uli Jon Roth CD

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Donthegreek

About replacing Joe with someone else...Kevin Shirley put Joe and Glenn together and then this band came about. So are THEY (and the 2 other guys) willing to tell Shirley their moving on without him and Joe? I'm guessing the band is happy with Joe and Shirley.
Dinosaur David B

Joe already left the band once. And they owe NOTHING to Shirley.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
TravisW

Dinosaur David B said:

Joe already left the band once. And they owe NOTHING to Shirley.

[/quote]
This. And maybe I'm massively underestimating the number of JB fans, but getting a real guitar riff writer in there would benefit the band as a whole TONS. There are a lot of guys who would be interesting in that position, even if the marketing would be harder.

EugenicScum

Wow, I was pretty sure this was a forum software bug when the Uli thread was linking to a BCC topic :p

Agree with the OP - in that this was a fun one-time listen. Uli doesn't have most of the balls he had back then and his style has changed too much to make the same impact as it did on the original recordings. Also I missed Klaus on a lot of those songs. Still a decent listen for the completist.
Seven Moons

EugenicScum said:

Wow, I was pretty sure this was a forum software bug when the Uli thread was linking to a BCC topic :p

[/quote]
Are you implying that Uli isn't a legit Voice Of Rock ? :lol:

As for BCC, the idea of Page replacing Bonamassa AND Shirley is a dinosaur's wet dream, but I doubt we'll ever get to hear new music from Page, as he seems content with his periodic LZ re-releases... And I'm not sure Hughes would be pleased with the idea of having such a bigger name than his in the band. Add the Bonham factor, and BCC would be thought of as an LZ offspring.

Another player wouldn't be obvious commercially. Bonamassa is certainly a strong selling point to the "mainstream blues" community ( Clapton fans, blues lawyers etc.)

Tatosh Guitar

EugenicScum said:

Agree with the OP - in that this was a fun one-time listen. Uli doesn't have most of the balls he had back then and his style has changed too much to make the same impact as it did on the original recordings. Also I missed Klaus on a lot of those songs. Still a decent listen for the completist.

[/quote]
Agree. this is for me a one time listen thing at most. I much rather hear the older Scorps albums...

jebbudda

Hmmmm.

I thought he was going to release a LIVE album ?

Uli often stretched out his solos or added " new " parts to some of the old tunes .

I recall some really killer playing on Dark Lady , Sun in my Hand and Polar Nights that I expected to make a future live album . The more Uli played the Scorpions tunes the better they became .

I figured Uli would release the tunes he wrote with the Scorpions to avoid paying the copy write fee ???

Seven Moons

jebbudda said:

Hmmmm.

[/quote]

He did release a live DVD with an accompanying CD last year. Same tunes. The studio release is from 2015.
Haffner

Seven Moons said:

jebbudda said:

Hmmmm.

[/quote]

He did release a live DVD with an accompanying CD last year. Same tunes. The studio release is from 2015.

[/quote]
Here I am reviving an old thread lol. I listened to Scorpions Revisited for the first time today. It's funny, I was getting much more used to (and even liking) the Sky guitar since Under a Dark Sky...but I missed the Strat more than ever on this collection. I also appreciate the Rock God status of Klaus Meine more than ever after hearing Nathan James' still-very-good take on these songs.

A once every few years listen at best. It's been 13 years since an Uli studio album. Maybe I should ask him if there ever will be one.

Am interested in at least checking out the Tokyo Tapes Revisited collection. Or maybe I'll just buy the Anniversary Edition of the original.
Dinosaur David B

And re-reading the rest of this, I think what Glenn Hughes did NOT achieve with BCC, he does achieve on the new Dead Daisies album. Sure, there are a couple of "Glenn songs" but there are also ideas that clearly came from Doug Aldrich and at least one song featuring a stolen Iommi/Hughes riff. In other words, it DOESN'T FEELL LIKE A GLENN HUGHES ALBUM, and I mean that in the positive sense, as a guy who owns a TON of Glenn Hughes albums.

It's a MUCH better album IMO than anything BCC ever did, and most of Hughes' stuff post-Fused.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.