Scorpions Revisited - Uli Jon Roth CD

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Dinosaur David B

Haffner said: At least it's not the endless repackaging, "remastering" etc. I really, really don't like that.

[/quote]

I get you on that, but OTOH, I have to say, we all have CDs from the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and the volume difference between the decades is quite noticeable -- especially if you rip/load the mp3s to your phone/iPod. Some old albums, you can't get loud enough, and the newer ones can melt your eardrums. And if, for example, you make a playlist containing both old and new songs, those volume jumps are maddening.

And a ways back, we had the discussion about when and whether remastering -- with, say, loving care -- really improves the product. I'd say sometimes it really does. But most of the time, it's just done to pump up the volume.

It's funny. With Spotify, I can often choose to listen to either the most recent remaster of an album, or the Deluxe Edition with all the outtakes and alternate mixes and stuff. For example, Van Morrison's Moondance is 10 songs. The Expanded Edition is 21 songs, and the Deluxe Edition is 51 songs -- mostly multiple takes of the original 10 tracks.

And that stuff can be initially interesting, until you realize the reason those versions didn't make the original album was because 99.999% of the time they weren't as good as the tracks that did. Now I don't bother. I just listen to the most recent remaster of the original work.

As for BCC, to me, the way you make that band work is dump Kevin Shirley, and get a producer who'll Mutt Lange them a bit. That, and replace Bonamassa with Slash, Sykes, or Jimmy Page.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

Dinosaur David B said:

As for BCC, to me, the way you make that band work is dump Kevin Shirley, and get a producer who'll Mutt Lange them a bit. That, and replace Bonamassa with Slash, Sykes, or Jimmy Page. [/quote]

[/quote]

Those are good ideas. I think I wrote something like that in a (perhaps unfairly) bad review I gave them awhile back.

I just don't like them. Bonamassa sinks everything from the get go for me, very faceless and darn it there are way better players out there imo (and those better players are darn sure better than ). Two less now that Johnny and Gary are dead of course.

Dinosaur David B

Haffner said:

I just don't like them.

[/quote]
I don't either, but if you wanted to start a band with the core of Hughes on vox and bass, and Jason Bonham on drums, that's a real good way start to . . . something. What I'd add to that is a bad-ass riff/songwriting player -- and that is precisely what JB is NOT. As always, Hughes is only at his best when he's got an equally strong or better songwriter in the band pushing back on him so his songwriting style doesn't dominate everything and everyone else. Slash's dance card is filled and would be kind of slumming. Sykes is an enigma with a bad reputation. But the fact that Jason's in the band and they never called Page is disappointing (especially after BCC initially broke up).

Not only is Page basically doing nothing other than trying to figure out how to re-live Zep moments (and this would do that), Page, Hughes and Bonham could get a LOT done together, both in the writing/producing area -- where Page excels. And think of the tour, interjected with a half dozen Zep numbers sung by Hughes. $$$$$$$$$ . It would put Hughes an altitude he's never reached before, not even in DP.

In my mind, it's a no-brainer. But we're apparently dealing with some no-brains here.

Haffner

Dinosaur David B said:

Haffner said:

I just don't like them.

[/quote]
I don't either, but if you wanted to start a band with the core of Hughes on vox and bass, and Jason Bonham on drums, that's a real good way start to . . . something. What I'd add to that is a bad-ass riff/songwriting player -- and that is precisely what JB is NOT. As always, Hughes is only at his best when he's got an equally strong or better songwriter in the band pushing back on him so his songwriting style doesn't dominate everything and everyone else. Slash's dance card is filled and would be kind of slumming. Sykes is an enigma with a bad reputation. But the fact that Jason's in the band and they never called Page is disappointing (especially after BCC initially broke up).

Not only is Page basically doing nothing other than trying to figure out how to re-live Zep moments (and this would do that), Page, Hughes and Bonham could get a LOT done together, both in the writing/producing area -- where Page excels. And think of the tour, interjected with a half dozen Zep numbers sung by Hughes. $$$$$$$$$ . It would put Hughes an altitude he's never reached before, not even in DP.

In my mind, it's a no-brainer. But we're apparently dealing with some no-brains here.

[/quote]

I think you covered it. I used to wonder why on earth somebody bigger, like Page or Slash, wouldn't have already worked on a project (or two) with Glenn. He has the range and most importantly, he has serious balls.

Though I'm not even in the same universe as those guys, I considered him for my stuff (he's about the same price range as a couple of the others). But the word amongst musicians I've dealt with has been overwhelmingly negative: very great ego, just has to have a songwriting credit (and that in particular don't go over well in these parts. He'd just write the same Zep/Hendrix/Purple hybrids he's been doing variations on for decades...no offense or disrespect to fans but it's objectively true. This is my baby, solely, for good or bad). I actually picked a lesser (but far from un) known name to do the part I'd chosen for him based upon the..."reviews" shall I say.

I don't do well at all with egomaniacs.

Tatosh Guitar

Haffner said:

I think you covered it. I used to wonder why on earth somebody bigger, like Page or Slash, wouldn't have already worked on a project (or two) with Glenn. He has the range and most importantly, he has serious balls.

Though I'm not even in the same universe as those guys, I considered him for my stuff (he's about the same price range as a couple of the others). But the word amongst musicians I've dealt with has been overwhelmingly negative: very great ego, just has to have a songwriting credit (and that in particular don't go over well in these parts. He'd just write the same Zep/Hendrix/Purple hybrids he's been doing variations on for decades...no offense or disrespect to fans but it's objectively true. This is my baby, solely, for good or bad). I actually picked a lesser (but far from un) known name to do the part I'd chosen for him based upon the..."reviews" shall I say.

[/quote]
If they were to ask for my opinion, i would suggest Vivian Campbell. He can rock, he can do the Gary thing and seems eager to play these days... But perhaps they just like Bonamassa... Plus he's a big name. He sells CDs...(they still make CDs, right?)

As for Glenn, I think I read somewhere that he is the one guy who made less money back in the 70's with Purple, and that has been a huge chip in his shoulder ever since. Before he joined, they would split publishing in equal parts, that's why they all became millionaires. When Gillan and Glover left, Blackmore demanded to rearrange that deal since he was doing most of the writing. Coverdale somehow managed to still get some royalties but Hughes was the one guy that got left behind. My guess is he wants to compensate for that in every project he's involved.

Haffner

Tatosh Guitar said:

Haffner said:

[/quote]
If they were to ask for my opinion, i would suggest Vivian Campbell. He can rock, he can do the Gary thing and seems eager to play these days... But perhaps they just like Bonamassa... Plus he's a big name. He sells CDs...(they still make CDs, right?)

As for Glenn, I think I read somewhere that he is the one guy who made less money back in the 70's with Purple, and that has been a huge chip in his shoulder ever since. Before he joined, they would split publishing in equal parts, that's why they all became millionaires. When Gillan and Glover left, Blackmore demanded to rearrange that deal since he was doing most of the writing. Coverdale somehow managed to still get some royalties but Hughes was the one guy that got left behind. My guess is he wants to compensate for that in every project he's involved.

[/quote]

Quite possible. Kind of like how Ronnie Dio behaved in certain outfits after being basically lorded over by Blackmore all those years. Not to speak ill of the dead, everyone here probably knows how big I am into Ronnie's older output.
Dinosaur David B

Campbell ain't the guy. He's not much of a writer, and he's only know to Dino style guitarists and fans of 80s metal.

Haffner said:

the word amongst musicians I've dealt with has been overwhelmingly negative: very great ego, just has to have a songwriting credit.

[/quote]

[/quote]
A guy who refers to himself as THE VOICE OF ROCK has a big ego?

Do tell!

That said, if he writes any of the words and melodies, he absolutely deserves songwriting credits. If he just sings what he's told to sing, and follows a guide vocal or a provided melody, he doesn't.

Haffner

Dinosaur David B said:

Campbell ain't the guy. He's not much of a writer, and he's only know to Dino style guitarists and fans of 80s metal.

Haffner said:

the word amongst musicians I've dealt with has been overwhelmingly negative: very great ego, just has to have a songwriting credit.

[/quote]

[/quote]
A guy who refers to himself as THE VOICE OF ROCK has a big ego?

Do tell!

That said, if he writes any of the words and melodies, he absolutely deserves songwriting credits. If he just sings what he's told to sing, and follows a guide vocal or a provided melody, he doesn't.

[/quote]

I was given the impression that it's not that simple with him. Perhaps I should leave it at that. In fact, all respect to all parties involved (and Glenn of course), I'm going to leave it as is.
Dinosaur David B

I can understand why he'd ask for it, and I can understand why people would say "no."
Haffner

I feel like I wrote a bunch of stuff that you already know Dave, so I took it out.