MSG Built to destroy

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
eduardoritos

MSG Built to destroy

I'd knew about BTD because de live video concert for Rock will never Die, so I know the songs, not the album. They're some nice songs, with a super high class instrumental. Good playing Michael.

But, I'm (still) a die hard fan of Budokan. I'd learned to play almost litteraly thanks to that album (and UFO's SITN). I remember myself playing the whole doulble lp and playing along for 3 times in a row (and not only a time, but many times, way too much of what mommy could take) :D Poor mommy r.i.p.

So, I do measure MSG work comparing with ONAB. Dificult to pair.

Seven Moons

MSG Built to destroy

Dinosaur David B said:

Gary Barden lost his high voice after Budokan. Never came back. But I thought he did a great job on In the Midst of Beauty.

[/quote]
Yes. I love what he did on that album. And songwise, it was easily my favorite Schenker release since 1983-1984. But AFAIC nothing can touch the first three studio albums, and One Night At Budokan.
Dinosaur David B

MSG Built to destroy

Captain Nemo is great, and Rock Will Never Die is an OK song with a great guitar solo. The rest of it I find forgettable.

Built to Destroy - a set of mostly forgettable songs with great guitar solos.

In the Midst of Beauty - a set of quite good songs with forgettable guitar solos -- and that's Schenker's fault.

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
cvansickle

MSG Built to destroy

To me, Built to Destroy was Schenker's attempt at radio airplay, especially in the US. After Assault Attack, the only thing this album might have destroyed was Def Leppard or Quiet Riot! I had the import version which opened with "Rock My Nights Away," and I was very disappointed that the US version reordered the songs, which made the album sound even more "poppy" than it was to begin with.
Sancho

MSG Built to destroy

I love it. No idea why it got such a bad rap. Great songs with killer hooks.
Bent out of shape

MSG Built to destroy

Re listened to deluxe version today. I liked DOW and Systems failing best. The others were better on Rock will never die.
Haffner

MSG Built to destroy

I realized I haven't owned a copy of BTD since 2004! I might just pick up the deluxe whaddevah someday. I guess I just love Rock Will Never Die so much (especially the expanded) that I never felt the need to own BTD.

I'm one of those impaired individuals whom never thought much of One Night At Budokan. I have bootlegs of him playing around that time which smoke that recording.

Most of the time I want something live from MSG in '81, I just throw on my Hamburg dvd boot. It's great, highly recommended. Probably on youtube somewhere.

Dinosaur David B

MSG Built to destroy

The Rockpalast stuff? Yeah that's great. I think some versions of those tunes are actually better on Budokan, though. Haven't really sought out the bootlegs. I used to do that back in college, but I got away from hunting down bootlegs out of laziness.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

MSG Built to destroy

Dinosaur David B said:

The Rockpalast stuff? Yeah that's great. I think some versions of those tunes are actually better on Budokan, though. Haven't really sought out the bootlegs. I used to do that back in college, but I got away from hunting down bootlegs out of laziness.

[/quote]I think you would have a very good day once you had it in your player. It's an excellent show, the classic Barden show to watch imo (though I most certainly still have and am often delighted by the MSG Anniversary video/Tokyo),

Stitsel

MSG Built to destroy

I'm with Duojett & Sancho, love it & there's some badass guitar playing on it....he was in a different groove rhythmically & those riffs fit the songs perfectly I thought, & the leads? Mad Mikey..... :o