Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe: Mick Wall.

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
Dr Nick

This book has been mentioned a few times but don't think there's a review, so thought I'd go for it.

Mick Wall is well known to anyone who's ever picked up a rock mag over the years.

Apparently he's also travelled with Black Sabbath in his journo guise, so he has some insight into his topic.

And he's a fan.

The book covers the period from the early formation (indeed, you get some pre-BS info about the 4 original members), right up to the planning and recording of "13", so it's up to date.

It also takes a bit of a left-turn to look at Ozzy's solo career in parallel with BS, at least up to a point (No More Tears).

There's a fair amount of information about each era, and this is by no means a "classic lineup" book. You get the background of how Gillan ended up in the band, the Live Aid debacle, how the Tony Iommi solo album ended up as a BS album, how the Tony Martin era came about, and there's also something about how the history of Black Sabbath became a battle between Don and Sharon Arden (Osbourne), which she ultimately won, and the impact this had on line-ups, tours and the credibility of the band.

Some of the material is corroborated by other sources, especially Bob Daisley's book (apart from the original Ozzy solo band he also played and co-wrote The Eternal Idol).

It certainly isn't all positive, and by the end you'd be forgiven as seeing the Black Sabbath story as a series of coke-induced screw-ups by Tony Iommi, who's incapable of doing anything else or moving on.

You have to feel sorry for Ronnie and Tony Martin, who both seem to have been messed around a lot.

And sometimes the writing style can be a bit annoying, especially when the author starts bigging up a passage like the Wizard of Oz might instead of getting on with the damn narrative.

But overall a good read for fans, some stuff most people know, some new information (for me anyway), and a great example of how to throw a career away.

VVVV
Bent out of shape

Yeah a good read, all the more interesting for covering the other eras of the band. Iommi and butler don't come across too well......
Sancho

If you want a good read about non-Ozzy Sabbath, this is the one to get :

Mick Wall is a cunt.
Bent out of shape

Lol, why do you say that?
Sancho

Have you ever read "When Giants Walked The Earth"?

What a bunch of wank.
MAdX

Sancho wrote:

What a bunch of wank.
I kind of enjoyed that book. However, I think he dwelt too long on the Aleister Crowley black magic cult stuff... It felt like a third of the content.
Dr Nick

Having read a few bio's I'm wondering whether ANY artist hasn't been screwed financially - apart from Led Zep perhaps.
Bent out of shape

Sancho wrote:

What a bunch of wank.

Read bits...... what didn't you like about it?
Sancho

What annoyed me most is the fact that he just invents these "inner monologue" type paragraphs. That pissed me off worse than it probably should.

I didn't think much about the writing in general either.
Duojett71

I have not read either book by Mick Wall. The only book I have read by him is 'Run To The Hills', which was done well. I have not read the updated version to include the reunion years...which I should. I always like seeing Mick interviewed in music documentaries. I always like his take on the various bands and I tend to agree with him. What I like about Mick is he seems to be a true fan and not just a journalist or author. Same with Malcolm Dome who actually kind of cracks me up.