You Live Somewhere. If You Could ....... Somewhere Else?

Drink will flow, blood will spill.
Here's where you discuss stuff that doesn't fall under the other topics. Doesn't even have to be music-related.
Bent out of shape

Re: You Live Somewhere. If You Could ....... Somewhere Else?

Just came across this thread by accident.     So,  I live in a small town, a suburb really, on the outreaches of Southwest London.   Weather is fine,  mild winters, summers moderate…..only the odd day over 30 degrees.  Scenic location near river and parks, lovely, people great.  We have our cricket club where I play regularly,  a few shops and pub where my band sometimes play,  all 5 minutes away.   Heathrow airport 20 minutes away when needed.  I can cycle most places and the countryside isn’t far.    Downsides,  work is an hour plus commute,  and housing,  my fiancé and I can only afford a 1-bedroom apartment which though ok, has space issues as you can imagine.   Not problems with noise, or making it as I can play my Katana Air as low volumes and the neighbours are quiet. In terms of where else I’d like to live…….I need some life and proximity to city attractions, aside from here…..  Scotland might be nice to go back to, but the weather would be a challenge.   Perhaps the South coast of England,  Kent has some lovely towns, Deal,  or Kingsdown for example.   So, happy here I guess,  just would be better if we’d more money to buy a house or bigger apartment.  
Dinosaur David B

Bent wrote: Just came across this thread by accident. So, I live in a small town, a suburb really, on the outreaches of Southwest London. Weather is fine, mild winters, summers moderate…..only the odd day over 30 degrees. Scenic location near river and parks, lovely, people great. We have our cricket club where I play regularly, a few shops and pub where my band sometimes play, all 5 minutes away. Heathrow airport 20 minutes away when needed. I can cycle most places and the countryside isn’t far. Downsides, work is an hour plus commute, and housing, my fiancé and I can only afford a 1-bedroom apartment which though ok, has space issues as you can imagine. Not problems with noise, or making it as I can play my Katana Air as low volumes and the neighbours are quiet. In terms of where else I’d like to live…….I need some life and proximity to city attractions, aside from here….. Scotland might be nice to go back to, but the weather would be a challenge. Perhaps the South coast of England, Kent has some lovely towns, Deal, or Kingsdown for example. So, happy here I guess, just would be better if we’d more money to buy a house or bigger apartment.

You're still in greater London. Like NYC, that's gonna be expensive as fuck. Yeah, the hour commute sucks (is that by train? If you're not driving, it's not as bad IMO).  The Dover Folkstone coast is beautiful (if not a little sleepy), but obviously, you'd lose your proximity to London. If I lived there, I'd spend weekends in Paris!  :dance:

In a general sense, I think there are city people, and not city people. City living is expensive, and you trade space for activity. Non-city living is the opposite. Bigger living space, less activity.  Amy and I are definitely city people. She knew that all along. I didn't learn I preferred city life until I was almost 40. You can also get fooled by a city like Boston, which has all of the downsides of a city, and almost none of the upside. Yeah, there's a subway, but unless you live in inner Boston still need a car to get almost everywhere. In LA, you live in your car and everything is a half hour drive. London is huge and sprawling, too, but the UK, at least you can get most places by public transportation. 

This is an old thread. I think most of you know that Amy and I moved back to NYC in 2017 after 8 dreadful years in Boston. We live in Brooklyn, and for the first time in my life, I truly LOVE where I live. I love our neighborhood, I love Brooklyn lifestyle, and I love being able to easily pop into Manhattan to enjoy whatever we like there.  My commute into Manhattan is a half hour subway ride (when I go in. I work from home a lot). On the way to the subway I'll see 5-10 dogs out for walks, and by the time I get to the train, I'm smiling. I'll read a book on my phone while listening to tunes on the subway. Unlike when I was in Boston, I have no daily road rage. I don't even own a car. It's just feet, subway, and ubers for me.

It's crazy expensive here. But it's the first time in my life, I feel the lifestyle is actually worth what you pay for it. We're actively looking for a bigger apartment in our neighborhood, but we'll almost have to double our rent to achieve that. We'll find it eventually. I don't want to live anywhere else.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Bent out of shape

In terms of commute,  it/s actually 1.5 hours each way but we have hybrid working so I’m working from home half the week.   I’m currently trialling driving half way then picking up the underground,  I actually prefer the train but it’s much more expensive than driving.   I’m guessing property in NY is more expensive than the UK,  I work in Kensington, quite near to Jimmy Page’s tower house,  even more crazily expensive!  Aside from this, I don’t really make the most of the proximity to attractions, perhaps a trip into the centre every 6 weeks or so.    We’re going to Boston early May actually; visiting a guitar mate and his new girlfriend who live there now.   Looking forward to it,  so ….wondering what exactly did you dislike about the city?  The only concern I have is again cost……for us brits with the exchange rate, the US scarily expensive at the moment.   My other half wants to do a day trip to NYC from Boston btw,  I’m pushing back as a bit of a stretch and to leave for a separate visit. It’s great to hear someone so enthusiastic and appreciative of where they live Dave!    My mate loves Boston btw, but gather they’re right in the centre, we’ll soon see. Good call re dover/Folkestone,   the latter in particular seemed quite quirky and appealing to me on the one visit I’ve had there.   I don’t think I’d miss the city vibe too much…… 

Dinosaur David B

Bent wrote: I’m guessing property in NY is more expensive than the UK,  I work in Kensington, quite near to Jimmy Page’s tower house,  even more crazily expensive! 

Yeah, that's not just Kensington -- which is highbrow enough. That's Holland Park. One of London's most lux neighborhoods. That's rock star expensive. Elton has a property there too. There are certainly places in NYC that are comparably priced to that.
Bent wrote:We’re going to Boston early May actually; visiting a guitar mate and his new girlfriend who live there now. Looking forward to it, so ….wondering what exactly did you dislike about the city? 

That's a long conversation.  :lol:
  • The transportation situation I mentioned. Greater Boston (population 4.5M) goes out to the Rt. 128 ring (imagine the M25). But most of the subway is only downtown Boston proper (population 650K) and some of Cambridge. Unless you live there, and most of the population doesn't, you have to drive almost everywhere -- including to the subway (unless you like taking busses).
  • Driving there sucks ass. The roads were designed by monkeys. The traffic is horrendous. The drivers are terrible. Parking in the city is next to impossible.
  • Winters SUCK. My parents would get 7-8 inches of snow when NYC got rain. I spent $4000 one year for snow removal alone. And btw, in the summer, you get plenty of days over 100F/37C. Even before global warming. Truly an enchanted land.
  • Unlike NYC, You don't get what you pay a lot for. When we moved from NYC to Boston in 2008, the cost of living in Boston was 19% cheaper than NYC. When we moved back in 2017, Boston's COL prices were comparable to NYC's. They shouldn't be.
  • Boston is renowned for colleges, hospitals, and sports teams. It fancies itself a world class city, but it's NOT. It has good arts and museums, but it's NOT multi-cultural. It's very WHITE and THE most (Irish and Italian) Catholic city in North America, with all the social baggage that brings. Boston's politically progressive, but socially provincial. That said, Sports is their biggest religion.
  • Their very best restaurants would only be a B or B+ in NYC. Even in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Imagine how good the average is. Providence RI (40 minutes south) has a MUCH better food scene than Boston. You might find Boston's food better than London's, but London's food is better than it once was. London has the best Indian food outside of India. NYC spoils you for food from almost anywhere else. 
  • Everything closes at 11pm at night. The subway stops running between midnight and 1am. And you can't flag a taxi in the street. You have to call for one. Much less of a problem since Uber.
  • The people have no style. You won't see many women wearing anything sexy or form fitting (provincial). Count how many men you see in blue shirts and khaki pants. The height of Boston "style" is a Red Sox hat and/or a Patriots jersey. 
  • The women -- on the whole, are NOT attractive. Too many have Irish man face.
How am I doing so far?  :lol:

It's a small city, charging big city prices (now 4th costliest in the US), and no, the current exchange rate won't help you.  Fine for a short visit. You'll have a good time. 
Bent wrote: My other half wants to do a day trip to NYC from Boston.

Boston/NYC is NOT a day trip. It's a 4 hour drive one way without traffic. When I was going back and forth a lot to take care of my parents, I would sometimes FLY in and out a day, but that wipes you out, too. 

Besides, if you come to NYC, you'll want more time. You can do Boston in a weekend. Not NYC. It's far bigger and better than Boston in every way I can think of.  And if you do, you should let me know so we can hang out.  :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bent out of shape

Also I gather residing in Holland Park….. Adele, Richard Branson,  the Beckhams, Simon Cowell!    Gulp….! Points re Boston duly noted!  😊 I guess we’ll cope for a week or so!  Also….. understand will be right in the city centre,  so everything walkable and no accommodation costs which will help. Agreed re NYC,  the plan was for a fast train day return but even that to me seems bonkers,  passed on your advice to Annie…..who grudgingly understands!   So……another trip and will definitely flag up when coming!
Dr Nick

Interesting thread! I'm currently with my parents in Lima, Peru. Not been for 5 years and was seriously missing being here, and my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, old school friends...).
Then I got here. 
Food is on another level. Especially Chinese/Peruvian food. But everything really. My trousers are tighter after a week.
Nice and warm autumn: 23-26 degrees C.
But the TRAFFIC??!!! Jeez, I'd go nuts if I lived here. Managed to source a local drum tutor for my son (latin rhythms), a 20 minute drive took over an hour.
And they drive like maniacs. Mario Kart is the best training, I'm telling you, with elements of Frogger.
Now the cost of living is MUCH lower, I could have a city penthouse or a large property in a wealthy suburb no problem. In a gated community with an armed guard. 
Must admit I'm missing my Sheffield home. Although part of me will always want to come back. And succumb to Type 2 diabetes + fatty liver disease...

Dinosaur David B

Bent wrote:Agreed re NYC,  the plan was for a fast train day return but even that to me seems bonkers,  passed on your advice to Annie…..who grudgingly understands!   So……another trip and will definitely flag up when coming!

The stupid Acella train only knocks an hour off of driving time and costs more than flying. 3 hours by train. If they could make it a two hour train trip they'd have something worth considering. The train itself can go faster, but the old tracks can't handle higher speeds. This is America. We can't have nice things like high speed rail.

merlo_zeppelin

I'm visiting England for the first time right now.
Loved Liverpool, would live there (don't know how I would handle the weather though)
Haffner

I have lived in Missouri, US for four and a half years and hate the weather, overall can't seem to assimilate.

Ideally we'd live in Trondheim, Norway. The location, climate, history, and vast forests of Norway fascinate me. I'm big on frozen forests lol.

But we'll settle for moving back to Vermont in a couple of years. My wife and I adore that state, so it's inevitable we'll end up there.

Dinosaur David B

Haffner wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 pmIdeally we'd live in Trondheim, Norway. The location, climate, history, and vast forests of Norway fascinate me. I'm big on frozen forests lol.

If you do, you have to wear the horned viking helmet every day.