You Live Somewhere. If You Could ....... Somewhere Else?

Drink will flow, blood will spill.
Here's where you discuss stuff that doesn't fall under the other topics. Doesn't even have to be music-related.
Breakfastime

We've been in Austin so long that it's lost all it's charm--actually the charm of the city has dwindled away to be replaced by nostalgia. That, and too many people for this tiny town. Local music scene eclipsed by corporate entertainments, new construction everywhere traffic, cost of living going through the roof...

...all the things that made this city so great 30 years ago are under glass, replaced by a schlock-y tourist-y Disneyland-esque astmosphere.

Right now--if I could convince my wife to move anywhere, it would probably be New Orleans. Yeah, I know--probably the same complaints about that city, but after spending a week there recently, the whole culture of the place was very inspirational. Might even take up the clarinet or something...
mr_crowley

I live Skövde in Sweden. The town is not noteworthy for any reason at all but I quite like it here. It isn't big by any means but got it's fair share of entertainment, restaurants and shops.

I live in a quite cool part of town. It is not downtown but it is just a ten minute walk from the city center. The rent is still low though.

Even if Skövde ain't my dream to be living in my whole life THIS is the apartment I could imagine myself living in for the rest of my life. It got character and a really cool vibe - lots of it thanks to my fiancé who really got that home decorating thing down :up:

My building used to be a place where mostly alcoholics and bums resided (there are still some very shady types around here and the smell of marijuana is occasionally very prevalent. I like it though. The whole vibe is very edgy and kind of cool), these days the majority are young people and the party pretty much never stops :woohoo:

I keep dreaming about living in either NYC or London. I've been to both cities twice and love 'em both very much

Both of them have one pretty major flaw though and that is that the cost of living there is sky high. I can't really wrap my head around how I am going to afford that and still retain the standard of living I am used to here. That won't happen.

There are some other places in USA I would like to try to live in like New Orleans, Portland, Austin or Los Angeles but there is this whole mess about getting a green card and so on in America which makes it just to much of a pain for me personally.

Right now I am leaning on moving to Berlin eventually. The culture there is just booming it would be cool to be there, I have friends that have lived there and friends currently living there as well so that would make the move quite smooth.

I really need to live in a bigger town eventually to take music to the next level but right now I have some really cool stuff cooking up here in Skövde that I am dying to tell you guys about soooo... yeah :smile:
Snoogans

I live in one of the primary tourist resorts in the South of England. Ironically, it's about as far as you could possibly get from any kind of music scene. It's also probably the only major town in the country without a music store. I'm part of the minority group that was born locally, and in employment. It also rains all the bloody time... :oy:

Given the opportunity, I'd be off to the South of Spain. I've visited several times and love with the place.
Official DRG Threadkiller
Osky

Snoogans wrote:
I live in one of the primary tourist resorts in the South of England. Ironically, it's about as far as you could possibly get from any kind of music scene. It's also probably the only major town in the country without a music store. I'm part of the minority group that was born locally, and in employment. It also rains all the bloody time... :oy:

Given the opportunity, I'd be off to the South of Spain. I've visited several times and love with the place.

Interestingly I've always wanted to live on the south west coast...happy memories of family hols in the 70s and 80s etc and currently living about as far from the seaside in England as physically possible... but maybe not now.... bugger :ohwell: !!!!
Snoogans

Okay, it's one of the nicer places in the UK when the weather's good. There's great coastal views and some pretty stunning moorland an hour up the road. The town itself is getting pretty grim. Property here is crazy expensive, and wages are low. Did I mention that there's no bloody music scene here?
Official DRG Threadkiller
Dr Nick

I live in Sheffield, England. Home of The Full Monty and Def Leppard.

House is nice.

I really like it, apart from the weather. I miss some aspects of living in Peru, where I grew up (long story), although it's changed a lot since I was a kid. And one of the changes is the weather. Although it's near the Equator, even in summer Lima tends to be hazy, probably due to the HUGE number of crappy smokey cars, which is a real shame.

So I miss my CHILDHOOD city.

Can't see myself leaving Sheffield any time soon.

Having said that, a few years ago I went to a conference in South Beach Miami, and had a BLAST. So I could totally see myself retiring there one day.

I'd have to be rich though.
inmyhands

In January Debi and I will have been married for 42 years after dating for two years prior to that. In all the time we've been together we both believe our favorite location we've ever lived was along the northern half of Down East Maine. Specifically Hancock County or Washington County that take Maine's coastline up to New Brunswick, Canada. We lived in Ashville, Maine in Hancock County, (which is now considered a part of Sullivan), and I worked at N.S.G.A. Winter Harbor, (since the end of the cold war the U.S. Navy has shut down this base). Cold harsh winters and nor-easters to contend with but by far the most wonderful people we've ever had the good fortune to live among. Respectful of your privacy and personal space but there whenever you need them. All for one and one for all. Down East Maine rules! Throw in the wildlife of black bears and moose and mule deer plus White Birch and Pine forests surrounding you and huge waves crashing against a massive rock coastline with lobster and scallops available right off the boat in the local harbor and ..... well ..... while probably not the smartest place for a 60 year old couple to go with health issues, etc. to contend with ...... Down East Maine would be our number one choice as the place to live out daily lives out.

Our number two choice, (and probably the better choice although neither one of us wants to throw in the towel on the Maine coast), would be just moving south about 100 miles and living in the Mark Twain National Forest. This section of southeast Missouri is one of the most beautiful and thickly forested areas in the United States. You can get lost in there among spring feed waterways, falls and lakes surrounded by thousands of trees and types of wildlife. Think Western North Carolina with fewer and much shorter mountains but more natural springs and thicker trees. We've both got history there and know the area quite well. It really is a little piece of paradise.

And our third agreed upon choice would be the Florida panhandle at least 30 to 40 miles inland from the coast. Some sections of the panhandle just south of the Georgia border are a combination of wooded lands, swamps, lakes and wonderful year round temperatures. You still experience summer and winter but without the extremes.

As you can probably tell Debi and I are more about nature than we are about cities. We'd both prefer fewer people and more wildlife. Fewer streets and more trails. Less rules, regulations and codes and more doing it your own way any way that way may be. The freedom to be yourself with the least amount of "big brother is watching". We're both tired of stupid rules and regulations and neighbors and expectations for us to be other than who we are. Privacy among others who value their privacy ..... yet .... will still be there for each other when a need arises. It's kind of like being Mr. and Mrs. Natural trying to find their place in a world of unrealistic expectations, rules upon rules upon ordinances upon senseless and stupid laws created by selfish me firsts and managed by greedy lawyers and self righteous prosecutors beholding to politicians and judges who'd all blow each other if it made dollars rain from heaven.

Um.

I may have digressed.

Debi and I just want to live somewhere on earth where man and the planet form and work within a bond to further each other. To be one with the planet and play by the planets rules rather than having to deal with the stupidity of mankind's bubble of self worth.

There's currently a very wide world where a neighbor can decide what trees you can grow in your yard or what color you can paint your house or how high your hedges can be or whether you can put a plastic swan in your front yard. This world dictates how many cars you can have in your driveway or whether you can park a truck at your house or whether a company logo on a company car that's part of your pay package can be parked at your home. We consider this the world of selfish assholes who feel their desires are worth more than yours. Bastards who think their opinion counts for more than yours.

No human being is better or worth more than another human being. Suck it up. It's who you are and who we are. Point out a bad guy who tried to take something from you and I'll point to you who took more than your fair share and expected others to settle for less. Tell me your education made you better than the rest of us and I'll ask you how much that education cost or how much your families connections contributed to your acceptance to the University that stoked your "self worth" beyond the truth of reality.

Debi and I don't want to interrupt your staircase to self worth, willingness to lead the less fortunate, or the delivery of silken toiletries to wipe your shitty ass with. We just want to find a place that's real. That you haven't contaminated or bastardized from the original plan. We want to get back to nature. We want to live among people who only care about the needs of nature rather than the needs of man. Man's needs change according to the stock market and judicial decisions. Natures needs have been there from the beginning and will still be there when the demo-gods of mankind are long in their graves.
eduardoritos

I live in Pamplona, 50 km in the south frontier with France. 2.100 years old city, founded by a roman general, in the St Jacques Way, full of history and art.

Like many latin people, where very attached to our homeland, family and traditions. I love my country, not in a patriotical way, but in a familiar/personal way.

It's a very interesesting place, and, at the same time, boring. Whe are at 40 minutes from the sea (San Sebastian), and 45/90 minutes from some ski stations (Pyrenees); 60 minutes from the south of France and, in a 6 hours TGV Tryp, I'm in Paris, or Valencia, Andalucia in a 8 hours car tryp. Even Lisbon or Porto is "next" my home (far in our size scale, but no very far for an american).

Whe have three languages in a circle of 100 km (spanish, basque, french), and I speake both (I can understand catalonian, too, because some family in Barcelona). Your brain have to work!!

Our climate is no very hot, not very cold. It's rainy, but confortable. Good meals (we're famous in Spain for basque food, wines, vegetables).

We're famous/infamous for Hemingway's book "Sun also raises (Fiesta)", and our bull's running and sanfermin festival (but that's only 9 days a year).

Now, I live in a new neighborhood, 15 minutes (byke) far from the center of the city. In our scale, that's far away :biggrin:

But....

For some reason, I like very much France. Maybe that's from my mother, who was born 20 minutes to the border, and during Franco years was one of fortunate spanish people that known the free world, and for her France was the paradise. Whe have Hendaye, Biarritz and Bayone in a 90 minutes car tryp, and we used to go two or three times a year.

City of Pau could be a good place for me. France, medium size city, next the Pyrenees, 2 hours from my family, similar traditions but more open minded.

TravisW

I live in Moorhead, MN; right across the river from Fargo, ND. I moved to Fargo in 1996 to finish college, and said I'd be outta there by 2000. The furthest I got was the Minnesota side of the river. There are a lot of upsides to the metro area right now, but the initial things that I didn't like still haven't gotten better. The landscape is still frighteningly flat, and outdoor activities involve at least a 50 mile drive.

I'd like to live just outside Bergen, Norway. It's not a terribly large city, but it's the second city in a country with few large cities. It's a beautiful place with mild weather, fresh fish, and it takes very little time to get out of town.
deejaid

I grew up in a small town in eastern Pennsylvania. Couldn't wait to escape. I got offered a job in the Bay Area California when I was 22 and within 3 weeks of the initial interview I had packed up all my meager possessions and gone cross country.

Except for one year of living in Studio City in So Cal to finish school, I lived the last 15 years in the East Bay Area of Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda. Last year we bought a house in wine country, a few miles from Napa. A little hotter than the East Bay but great schools for the kids and a large yard for them to play.

So I'd say I moved to this area for a better quality of life for my kids. I enjoy all the agricultural land around us with the roadside produce stands as well as tending to my own veggie garden. But I do miss the more urban feel of Oakland and perhaps once the kids are grown will seek out that similar lifestyle.