Write an Alchemy profile on yourself!

Here's a place for site and forum-related news and interactive forum-realted activities.
Haffner

You are all awesome. Usually, when I'm working on a solo I'm totally there, and ultimately I only pick out what I like and am satisfied with. It's just that hindsight is more than 20/20 for me, it's just plain overly microscopic. I torment myself over what if?

That said, I guess I can't be too critical. I listened back to the solos on Lv2 numerous times since the final takes over a year and a half ago and they haven't been touched. I went for melodic and memorable stuff that would hopefully improve the songs.

I suppose I just wish I was better overall as a player, but practically everyone thinks that. Except Yngwie, possibly (unless he's fronting out of insecurity).
Dinosaur David B

Nah. Yngwie is Yngwie's biggest fan. :chuckle:
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
A.J. Huckleberry

BTW, Dave, thank you for cleaning up mah presentation.
A.J. Huckleberry

Dr Nick wrote:
Yes, I like it. A load of fake profiles.

Where's that list of profile dodgers...

As an aside, some of the pics look familiar.

Duojett71 must be related to Mick Box.

Mr Crowley looks very similar to Rob Marcello.

AJ Huckleberry could be Frank Gambale's twin.

Red SG has more than a passing resemblance to Josh Widdicombe (don't hate me).

And I still think my uncle Tony rose from the dead and changed his name to Whoopass1

I have not ONE fanned fret, sir.

Grumble. Heard that before...
Dr Nick

No offence meant guv', didn't mean anything by it.

I keep getting compared to Hank Marvin! Now THAT's offensive...

:chainsaw:
Haffner

Dr Nick wrote:

Hank Marvin rules!
A.J. Huckleberry

Dr Nick wrote:

LOL. No offense taken! It's spot on!
Dinosaur David B

Me thinks some of you still owe us profiles.

:naughty:
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
yngwie666

Early Theropod or Advanced Theropod

Groupology

Heavy stick / Bloody Beast / Escape: mostly Maiden and NWOFBHM covers

Antinea: rock/hard covers

Famous / Infamous for

Gear

Patrice has spend many year playing the same Marshall Valvestate and a Corean guitar. Then he got divorced and around the same time discovered some guitar sites on the internet and then eBay (bought his first US made guitar in 2001)...And GAS hit him hard ! So the picture above is: a guy working in a suit but who plays guitars as a hobby (kinda like the Dino version of a dentist on TGP forum, except he works in IT) . Patrice tends to buy signature guitars (Dino exclusively) and/or gear from the 80's that he couldn't afford back then (i.e: old Flying V, Charvel,...). Because he's a geek and he has some degrees in electronics, he also started to learn about and build tube amps. Beside the luthier work, he could almost be a guitar tech when it comes to amp/pedals, etc....

YouTube channel

Being self taught for 20 years, Patrice came across a poster for a free guitar lesson and then he realized he was really far from what he thought he was as guitarist :down:. His guitar teacher later told him to make some videos of himself playing so he could see and hear how he played. He started his Youtube channel and it's a kind of exercise for him to learn and post a solo that he has spend some time to learn, demo some amp or simply show off one of his latest toy ! :evillaugh: Strangely he has now 350k views, with good and bad comments...Last month a guy said he loved his channel and wanted to buy his JCM1, so he sold it to him. Internet is still full of surprises, sometimes.

Being lazy

Patrice never wrote any song. He cannot really improvise and he mostly play covers.

Influences

Obvious

It was because of Eddie Van Halen that Patrice wanted to play guitar. Later he became a bit obsessed by Malmsteen and playing fast ! His other influences: Jake E Lee, R. Rhoads and he probably tried to play at least some riffs/solo of most of Dino famous players out there, even Kirk Hammett.

Not-So Obvious

Angus Young: Patrice is big fan of AC/DC

Gary Moore: hard to sound like him but he always liked his style, especially the right hand attack.

Patrice always loved Nile Rodgers but he just wishes he could play that funky !

Strengths

Technique

Patrice can play (at a decent level), a good panel of techniques such as alternate picking, fast picking, sweeping, tapping, taped and pinched harmonics, wide stretch, string skipping, etc...But he totally sucks at finger picking, chicken picking, jazz chords and everything that is not used in hard rock/metal/shred.

Speed

Patrice can play some fast Yngwie licks almost at same speed.

Weaknesses

Patrice lacks composition skills. He doesn' t really know scales (he knows the theory behind but cannot use it). He relies too much on tabs instead of using his ears like when he was using a tape to learn solos.

Tone

Patrice is a tone chaser: he buy tons of gear to copy the tone of his idols, up to the same vintage pedal, pickups, amp mods....His tone however revolves around a modded Marshall with a superstrat into a 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks. Patrice use attenuators to push his 50W and 100W amps but still plays with a certain level of decibels.

Guitar Style

Patrice's guitar style is not really distinctive or original, mostly a patchwork of stolen techniques, riff and solo bits from his idols.

Rhythm Style

Having played mostly lead guitar in his bands and later without back tracks nor metronome, Patrice is a lousy rhythm player. For this reason he started to play drums and tried as a guitarist to focus more on playing "in the pocket" (if we can use this expression when the rest of the band is most of the time a backtrack). His most proud achievement so far is to play the intro of "I'm the one" by Van Halen (who is a terrific rhythm player). Took him only a few years. Patrice's is now looking forward to learn some modem metal rhythm (Megadeth comes to mind).

Lead Style

Patrice likes to shred and play "flashy" stuff that makes his non playing friends go "Wow !!!"... Sometimes his bends are off because back when he started he didn't know what was a bend and just played the 10th fret on something that was tabbed as 8-(10).

Vibrato

Patrice has seen video of Kirk Hammett and decided that was not the right way to play vibrato, so his vibrato is better but it probably changes with the song.

Recommended listening

www.youtube.com/patricefrey
jebbudda

Patrice does indeed have a natural ability to rip some Yngwie inspired licks that make me scratch my head in disbelief .

It must be a European thing . It doesn't come naturally to me .