Write an Alchemy profile on yourself!

Here's a place for site and forum-related news and interactive forum-realted activities.
Dinosaur David B

This could fun and hilarious if we do it well. Create a Guitar Alchemy profile for yourself. Be as serious and/or as silly as you like (hint: the best ones will undoubtedly be both), but please be thorough. Don't half-ass it. If their good, I'll leave them up. Obviously, I'll do one. too.

1. Use the established Alchemy template (shown below).

2. Use a photo of yourself. (I can host it if you need that)

3. Link in whichever of the Dino icons is appropriate for your style from here:

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/229

4. Note: It might be a good idea to draft it elsewhere, then paste it in here.

[size=14pt]Groupology[/size]

List any relevant bands

[size=14pt]Famous / Infamous for[/size]

Make these as funny and as silly as you like, but try to base them on some reality -- i.e. even if your only famous for something in your band or in your own mind.

[size=14pt]Influences[/size]

Obvious

Not-So Obvious

[size=14pt]Strengths[/size]

[size=14pt]Weaknesses[/size]

[size=14pt]Tone[/size]

Please don't make this just another gear list. Describe your tone and how to get it in general terms the way the profiles do.

[size=14pt]Guitar Style[/size]

Rhythm Style

Lead Style

Vibrato

[size=14pt]Recommended listening[/size]

If you have any recordings, link to them here.

USE HUMOR AND HAVE FUN.

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Gunner4Life

Rob Lodespoto (Gunner4Life)

Groupology:

Living Room

Bedroom

Jurassic

Famous/Infamous For:

Famous for - Countless NGD's.

Infamous for - Modding every guitar he buys, after proclaiming it perfect out of the box, and then selling it a month later, for half of what he paid. Posting poor quality iPhone videos of his playing. Writing one guitar solo in 1995, and playing it to death.

Influences:

Obvious - Slash, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry. At his core, he is a blues based hard rock player. He also has a little bit of an obvious Eddie influence. And will tap his Zak influence, to throw in a few inappropriate pinch squeals, even when not necessary.

Not So Obvious - Classical music, Neo-Classical Metal, Flamenco guitar, Thrash. The Beatles were his favorite band as a kid, but you'd never guess it from his playing. More recently, he's been drawing more influence from Black Metal bands such as Venom and Merciful Fate. He often sites Maiden and Priest also.

Strengths:

Rob's limited musical vocabulary, and skill set, will all but guarantee that he will never overplay.

His rhythm playing, while basic, is solid, he can riff.

Some have compared Rob's playing to Jake E. Lee.

Weaknesses:

Lack of technique.

Lack of stage presence. None.

Lack of chops.

Abundance of stage fright. Tons.

The comparisons to Jake E. Lee center around his reclusiveness, Rob is rarely seen playing in front of a living creature.

While he can improvise a solid, off the cuff riff, Rob has never been able to create a full song out of that.

The more he practices something, the sloppier he seems to get.

Tone:

Rob's amp sound used to be full on gain, but that has changed a bit in recent years. Playing through a 50 watt EVH 5150iii and a Celestion Vintage 30 and G12H30 loaded Avatar 2x12 closed back cab, he focuses most on the bass and mids, his bass is usually at 12 o'clock, and mid around 1 or 2, he likes to feel some thump in front of the cab, and sets the 5150iii's resonance dimed out or close to it, and the treble rolled back below the halfway point, with the presence at noon. His tone does tend to fluctuate, due to inconsistencies in his touch. Rob will often use different types of picks, Dunlop Tortex Jazz III picks to add some bite, and Tortex Gator Grip 2.0 mm picks for a warmer tone.

Rob has used a lot of different guitars to achieve, and experiment with his tone over the last several years, A LOT! Everything from Les Paul's and Charvel's, to Fender Strat's and Ibanez's, and few small custom shop axes. He's described his desired sound to be a classic hard rock and metal Les Paul sound, but he doesn't care for the guitar. Rob is all about humbuckers, he's dabbled with single coils, but often tries to make them sound like humbuckers... Did I mention Rob is a little mental?

For effects, Rob has been known to use an MXR Chorus pedal of varying models, most recently a Black Label Chorus, and a TC Flashback delay pedal, both for subtle ambience, and has used various wah pedals, most notably a RMC3. But these days plugs straight into the amp.

He often tries to achieve a Les Paul through a Marshall sound, using 6L6 amps and Superstrats, with mostly failure. He's rarely held on to a piece of gear long enough to dial it in properly though.

His clean tone is just his OD tone, with the guitar volume rolled back.

Guitar Style:

Rob is largely self taught, most of what he has learned has been by ear. He was making progress with the Metal Method, for a brief period, but found himself distracted by more important career moves. He may seek to study under someone in the near future.

Rhythm - Rob is almost exclusively a rhythm player. His chord vocabulary doesn't extend much beyond power chords, and some open chords, but he's a Hard Rock and Metal player, not Jazz. Palm muting figures heavily in his playing, very little jingly playing.

Lead - His lead playing is really sloppy, and mostly alternate picking. Not much in the speed picking department, relies heavily on poorly executed Legato runs, but has improved. He also sometimes incorporates Staccato. His use of 2 handed tapping is very basic, and is based entirely on the style employed by EVH. Rob lives in the Pentatonic and Blues scales, when he does stray he uses the Harmonic Minor scale.

Vibrato - Used to be narrow and wild, in more recent years it's become wide and slow.

Recommended Listening:

None recommended, but for comic relief.

http://youtu.be/6ubZT8uP5so

Gunner4Life

Bwaaaaahahaha I look so ridiculous
Dinosaur David B

Dude, that was very brave, very entertaining, and AWESOME! :chuckle:

If I had a prize to give for first person to jump off the cliff and do this, you'd get it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
EugenicScum

Well done Gunner. Fun read.
Sancho

Beat me to it :up:
Sancho

Sooo...

Guitar Alchemy Profile : Joost "Sancho" Vlasschaert

Groupology :

Hidden

Iskariot

Crusader

Monster Joe

Fisted Sister

Thundersteel

Famous for/Infamous for :

Joining bands that implode when they're ready to take the next step.

Changing his rig more often than most players change strings.

He has been known to stop rehearsals with an onslaught of gas (the other kind...)

His biggest claim to fame is probably his blue casting couch, where he photographs his new purchases with one of his long suffering wife's furry stuffed animals.

Influences :

Obvious : The most obvious influence when it comes to lead playing is Dave Murray. Joost incorporates lots of trills in his solos, and they come straight from Dave. There's also traces of Manilla Road's Mark Shelton in the sometimes less than perfect bends and odd note choice.

For rhythm playing, it's a mix of Ted Nugent's rock n roll free for all and Scott Ian's chunky metal riffing.

Less obvious : Roy Buchanan. Joost hopes to one day capture a tenth of the emotion of the great man, but he has Roy's total lack of guitar face down to an art form.

Strengths : Joost is a solid rhythm player and he can hold his own (to a degree) when it comes to lead playing as well. He has a good vibrato. He's also an easy guy to be in a band with. Until you ask him to do something he doesn't want to, like dress up as a knight.

Weaknesses : Joost suffers from an underdeveloped musical ear, which severely limits his ability to craft memorable melodic leads. Sometimes his solos fizzle out rather than build to a climax.

Tone : Joost's tone is as basic as it gets. Throw a Tubescreamer in front of a 2203 and you're basically there. He has been using a Splawn Quickrod to deliver just that tone for several years now.

When it comes to guitars, it's either solid chunks of mahogany from Gibson, or an assortment of superstrats. The Seymour Duncan JB is his preferred pickup, for its ability to cut through the band mix.

For effects, some chorus or phasing (only a Phase 90 will do) are as far as he goes. Joost has no use for reverb or delay as it would mean complicating his setup.

Guitar Style :

Rhythm : Joost is a meat and potatoes metal player with a clear 80s influence. Left to his own devices, he'll usually come up with riffs based on a pedal note (the low E, obviously).

Lead : mostly pentatonic based, with the odd chromatic run. Most of Joost's solos are improvised, but he tends to structure them and keep the good bits for the next time. Playing in cover bands for five years now has seen him add to his vocabulary. He's not averse to throwing in a pick squeal here and there.

Recommended listening :

Crusader's second CD "Fools" has some decent (and some dodgy) lead playing by Joost.

For a good, composed lead, check out the song Flowers Of War.

Monster Joe's Meet Monster Joe has some good twin guitar work.

You won't find much (if anything) on Youtube, alas...

Some covers with his current band Thundersteel :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-DSlmDMRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXR05d_3XYg
Gunner4Life

lol good :up:

BTW, if anyone is wondering, that's a 1999 MIM Tele... And yes, I did sell it
RED_SG

Very fun to read so far!!

Here's Mine:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Alchemy Profile: Max "red_sg"[/size][/size]

Groupology :

Adrenaline (Canadian artist Eric Lapointe Tribute Band)

The Fool and Me

Solo, Instrumental Project

Jurassic

Famous/Infamous for :

Embrassing a flashy, yellow with black splatters Jackson guitar, even if it’s way out of fashion.

Wearing WWE T-shirts during live performances as a fashion statement.

Drinking Tequila shooters on any given occasion.

Influences :

Obvious : Vai, Malmsteen, George Lynch, Ozzy’s axemen, Iron Maiden, and Fu Manchu (with his band The Fool and Me).

He claims that Eddie Van Halen was his main influence as a teenager, but he sounds more like a post EVH, 80s/90s guitarist.

Less Obvious : Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Frank Marino, The Rolling Stones, Kiss.

Strenghts :

Chops : Max has great chops. He can alternate pick and play arpeggios with ease and his playing is fluid. He can play complex runs with speed easily.

Melodic Sense : Max is also capable of writing nice melodies that are memorable and that will catch the attention of musicians, as well as non-musicians.

Quirkyness/Originality : He sure ain’t the most original guitarist out there, but sometimes Max likes to have a "I play weird" approach that works, and that gives his sound a very unique twist. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but those who like that edge of his playing usually enjoy it. A good example of that is the second part of the solo in the song These Things (That I’ve Been Doin’) from his band The Fool and Me. He plays what seems to be the phrygian mode of the hamonic minor scale, but throws some odd notes into it.

He’s also known for recording tracks with odd objects like frying pans, talking toys and using odd dialogues samples, usually taken from random youtube clips.

Weaknesses :

Production :
Since his recordings are mostly done by himself in his home studio, Max’s productions haven’t reached a pro level, yet. We can hear a growing improvement from one release to another, but by today’s standards his productions remain "quality demos" at best. Unfortunately Max is an unsigned musician with no serious recording budget.

Diversity : With Max you get two types of music…. Simple, straight forward rock (almost punk sometimes) with his band The Fool and Me, or instrumental music when on his own. He rarely records ballads or acoustic songs. His compositions are fondamental hard rock songs. He is the opposite of Jimmy Page on the diversity level.

Consistency : Having a "real" job, 2 kids to raise with his girlfirend and being busy outside of the studio makes Max’s releases a little inconsistent. He’ll release 3-4 songs a year, either with his band TFAM, or an instrumental from time to time, but no real packaged product (aka a real album).

Tone :

Max uses a variety of guitars and amps, but he usually gigs with a EVH 5153 amp and super strats with his tribute band Adrenaline. When recording with The Fool and Me, he uses low wattage Marshall and Orange amps with either Gibson guitars or G&L Telecasters (one that is stock, the other one with humbuckers). He uses the same amps for his instrumentals but with super strats. He likes to play straight in the amp with small amount of delay in fx loop, although he’ll sometimes boost his signal with a Tube Screamer or Fuzz. His tone is usually very raw and mostly gainy.

Guitar Style :

Max is basically a Jurassic, 80’s hard rock/metal guitarist caught in the 2000’s. He’s not a pure neo-classical guitarist, but he sometimes throws sweeps and arpeggios in his solos. Although he brings a modern edge and sometimes a loose, punk-ish sound with his band The Fool and Me, you can clearly hear his 80’s background in his solos. His instrumentals showcase his true nature and it would be nice to hear him in a context of a 80’s/90’s rock band ala Lynch Mob or Ozzy, but unfortunately Max is caught in an era where melodic, hard rock/metal singers are hard to find. Because of that, he hasn’t been able to put together a project of that genre, yet. He mostly uses power chords and single notes riffs for rythm. He also plays basic folk chords, root 5 and 6 chords and might throw some jazzy chords here and there for added colors. His lead style consists of alternate picking, arpeggios, major and minor scales, modes and blues scale. He often plays in harmonic minor and phrygian to add an exotic feel to his leads.

Vibrato :

His vibrato is either fast and narrow or slow and wide, depending of the mood he wants to create. He also uses the bar a lot.

[size=10pt][size=10pt]See Him in action :[/size][/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-efhTR78yY

Recommended Listenings :

Monkey Hour (Instrumental) :

https://soundcloud.com/max_vallieres/monkey-hour

The Fool and Me :

http://thefoolandme.bandcamp.com/

Adrenaline (Tribute Band) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWlVt98z-LE

Dinosaur David B

These are great! :clap: