Preview song for my band

A place to discuss songwriting. Yours, or someone elses.
Daniel_rsf

Preview song for my band

Thank you all guys, As soon as the vocal make a lyric for it, and we play the music perfectly, I'm going to record a reharsal and show it to you guys. And that with other songs too.

And about recording... I guess I'll have to sacrifice some things in order to it be ready sooner. Like, I'll have to forfeit using a real amp and use plugins like guitar rig instead. Cheaper... I really wanted to use a real amp, but than, maybe I can record it again when I have access to a nice amp. Do you guys think this is a big deal?

Also, when the time comes I'll probably ask for you guys advices on building a convincing tone out of that guitar rig.
Dinosaur David B

Preview song for my band

I'll have to forfeit using a real amp and use plugins like guitar rig instead. Cheaper... I really wanted to use a real amp, but than, maybe I can record it again when I have access to a nice amp. Do you guys think this is a big deal?

Ultimately, the quality of the SONG is WAY more important that what gear you use to record it with. There are plenty of great players right here at DRG who record with amp sims and pods.

What amp are you using currently? It might sound fine mic'd. The other thing is can you borrow or rent an amp the day you record?

maybe I can record it again when I have access to a nice amp
Here's a thought, but it's extra work and probably not worth it in the long run. If you record a direct signal on a separate track when you're tracking your guitars that go through the sim, you could re-amp the guitars with a real amp later. Of course that means that later you'd need to get an amp AND a re-amp box, but your recorded signal would already be there. You'd just run it back out through an amp an re record it.

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Breakfastime

Preview song for my band

Sounds cool! I hear the Priest vibe too but when was the last time anybody complained about that? That's a good thing! :up:

Overall, it sounds like some classic 80's Power Metal you've got started there. Riffs are cool, the middle solo is right-on (brief, but tasty--and I can 'hear' all the chords there because what you're playing fits so well). The change towards the end is nice, and the outro solos are cool too. :shred:

Looking forward to hearing the completed work (and more) in the future!

edit:
Dinosaur David B wrote:
Ultimately, the quality of the SONG is WAY more important that what gear you use to record it with.

Listen what the man said. You've got the song and your performance is strong enough already that you could practically use the take you just video'd.

Daniel_rsf

Preview song for my band

Dinosaur David B wrote:

Ultimately, the quality of the SONG is WAY more important that what gear you use to record it with. There are plenty of great players right here at DRG who record with amp sims and pods.

What amp are you using currently? It might sound fine mic'd. The other thing is can you borrow or rent an amp the day you record?

maybe I can record it again when I have access to a nice amp
Here's a thought, but it's extra work and probably not worth it in the long run. If you record a direct signal on a separate track when you're tracking your guitars that go through the sim, you could re-amp the guitars with a real amp later. Of course that means that later you'd need to get an amp AND a re-amp box, but your recorded signal would already be there. You'd just run it back out through an amp an re record it.

Than I guess I'll just use a simulator. And get shit done! hehehe maybe later I'll ask for you guys to help me achieve the tone I'd like with the simulators (you guys must already know what league of tone would make me happy hehehe). my friend who runs the studio and plans to record my songs has no amps, only tons of racks and plugins, he is tottaly adept of plugins, not amps. And he surely knows how to work his stuff, but I think he never worked with heavy metal, but he works with jazz, progressive, popular brazillian music, etc. So, maybe he will not know how to get my tone if I don't tell him what I want, and I have to know how to tell him what I want! I'll have to tell him how I want to configure mics position, delay and choruses, that kind of thing... and it just seems too technical for me. I'm the kind of guy that only wants to know how to play, or even how to set the low/mids/high on the amp, but further than that, I don't know anything of the technical stuff.

Breakfastime wrote:
Sounds cool! I hear the Priest vibe too but when was the last time anybody complained about that? That's a good thing! :up:

Overall, it sounds like some classic 80's Power Metal you've got started there. Riffs are cool, the middle solo is right-on (brief, but tasty--and I can 'hear' all the chords there because what you're playing fits so well). The change towards the end is nice, and the outro solos are cool too. :shred:

Looking forward to hearing the completed work (and more) in the future!

edit:
Dinosaur David B wrote:
Ultimately, the quality of the SONG is WAY more important that what gear you use to record it with.

Listen what the man said. You've got the song and your performance is strong enough already that you could practically use the take you just video'd.

Thank you!!! :D

You guys really push me foward, I also can't wait to be showing you the complete stuff.

Hehehe about the video, I actually tried a couple of times to record it... but, I always have that intense urge to scratch my back in the middle of the section! And my hair keeps tickling my nose, making me want to scratch it too. So, I made a couple of mistakes on the last solo, as all I could think of on that time was that I had to scratch my back and my nose, but than I was too lazy to record everything again. But I think, as the song is mine and nobody knows how it should be, some mistakes ended up looking to be right hahahaha that was on some of the last phrases of the solo.

Dinosaur David B

Preview song for my band

I'm the kind of guy that only wants to know how to play, or even how to set the low/mids/high on the amp, but further than that, I don't know anything of the technical stuff.

Yeah, as guitarists, we all START there. Learning all that shit is daunting and takes a long time.

The problem is if you want to get into home recording your music, you pretty much HAVE to become more than just a guitarist, if you want any control over your own tracks. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of engineers and producers. If you're working with great ones, that's fine, but that isn't typical in home recording environments.
Nick Layton

Preview song for my band

Very nice riff and composition Daniel...well done! Speaking to using amps/sims/PODs to record an album with--of course we'd all love to use our fav amps cranked but sometimes it's not possible or feasible. I recorded both FireWolfe albums 90% direct using a POD 2.0. Don't let your equipment (or lack thereof) be the thing that holds you back.
Daniel_rsf

Preview song for my band

Dinosaur David B wrote:
I'm the kind of guy that only wants to know how to play, or even how to set the low/mids/high on the amp, but further than that, I don't know anything of the technical stuff.

Yeah, as guitarists, we all START there. Learning all that shit is daunting and takes a long time.

The problem is if you want to get into home recording your music, you pretty much HAVE to become more than just a guitarist, if you want any control over your own tracks. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of engineers and producers. If you're working with great ones, that's fine, but that isn't typical in home recording environments.

Yeah, that's something I need to overcome. But I think this will happen in time. Once I have more access to proper equipment. I think I might actually learn something by watching the studio guy work when I record. Really hope I do! hehehehe

But I am doing some research, and I think I will try a lot of things on the studio. I really do like that judas priest and randy rhoads kind of tone, but I don't know if that's a straight through marshall tone or a more sophisticated stuff. If I get on the simulator, and set a simulation of a marshall JCM800 2203 with everything cracked up, will my record actually sound lika a crancked up marshall?
Daniel_rsf

Preview song for my band

Nick Layton wrote:
Very nice riff and composition Daniel...well done! Speaking to using amps/sims/PODs to record an album with--of course we'd all love to use our fav amps cranked but sometimes it's not possible or feasible. I recorded both FireWolfe albums 90% direct using a POD 2.0. Don't let your equipment (or lack thereof) be the thing that holds you back.

Thank you nick! I won't let it hold my back, nothing will hold my back, not anymore. I did let lots of things hold my back in the past, but not anymore. I'm gonna show my music to the world! hehehehe

By the way, Firewolf is great, and I could not tell the difference if it was simulation, tottaly convinced me. :shred:
Dinosaur David B

Preview song for my band

I really do like that judas priest and randy rhoads kind of tone, but I don't know if that's a straight through marshall tone or a more sophisticated stuff. If I get on the simulator, and set a simulation of a marshall JCM800 2203 with everything cracked up, will my record actually sound lika a crancked up marshall?

Those guys used real amps, real cabs, with mics on them that colored the sound, going through mic pres and EQ that colored the sound further, AND they were recording to tape.

The amp/cab/mic choices are built into the better amp sims. You can even move different mic types around the speaker cone.

Will that "actually sound lika a crancked up marshall?"

My opinion is that if you were to compare it to the real thing in the context of recorded tracks (i.e. sim on one side, real on the other in the same song) or the same album (some tracks real, some tracks sim), you would certainly hear a difference.

OTOH, if you have no comparative context, the vast majority of people won't know or care about the difference.

guitarrednfeathered

Preview song for my band

Me too, me too, I also like it a lot! :clap1:

I'll look forward to the next clip that we get to see. Good luck, Dude!