One of the Best Black Sabbath Songs

A place to discuss songwriting. Yours, or someone elses.
Agrippa

No Argument here.

As long as I can classify "The Shining", "Wishing Well", "Zero The Hero" and "Megalomania" as some of their best too.
Haffner

Agrippa wrote:
No Argument here.

As long as I can classify "The Shining", "Wishing Well", "Zero The Hero" and "Megalomania" as some of their best too.

I LOVE those songs :up:

I put this topic up not just because I believe it to be true, but because I was curious if anyone would bite in regard as to why it's one of the best, and possibly even the best in terms of...

Seven Moons

One of their most interesting songs for sure. They've never sounded so close to prog rock. They obviously wanted to experiment, and they succeeded IMO. When I heard it for the first time, I suddenly found some logic in Tony's brief common past with Jethro Tull, because his leadwork on that song reminds me of Martin Barre's playing. The interaction with the keyboards on the outro sounds like he wanted to show that he had unexpected refinement and subtlety in his bag of tricks.
Haffner

Seven Moons wrote:
One of their most interesting songs for sure. They've never sounded so close to prog rock. They obviously wanted to experiment, and they succeeded IMO. When I heard it for the first time, I suddenly found some logic in Tony's brief common past with Jethro Tull, because his leadwork on that song reminds me of Martin Barre's playing. The interaction with the keyboards on the outro sounds like he wanted to show that he had unexpected refinement and subtlety in his bag of tricks.

+1 really cool, Vincent.
Skye

Yea this album gets a lot of hate - but there's good stuff on here, I like it.

Why do you feel that way about this particular song Haff?
Haffner

Skye wrote:
Yea this album gets a lot of hate - but there's good stuff on here, I like it.

Why do you feel that way about this particular song Haff?

Sabbath never got as experimental as they did on Air Dance. In that sense, from a purely musical standpoint it's possibly the best thing they ever did, and I tend to get ugly whenever I read about Osbourne and Iommi disparaging it.

The performances themselves are both fantastic and anomalous; Osbourne at several points actually sounds beautiful (!), and keep in mind this is a couple of years after he blew out his voice on "Sabotage".

The great pity is, they never ever came close to such successful, interesting, engaging experimentation again.

Or maybe I'm wrong :036:
Skye

No, I'd say that's a good and fair assessment.

I always loved the title track....super poppy for them, but I've always loved that song!
Haffner

Skye wrote:
No, I'd say that's a good and fair assessment.

I always loved the title track....super poppy for them, but I've always loved that song!

Me too! I love the whole album (except "Breakout" which was just too out there for me, still respect it for trying something different).

Speaking of trying something different, listen to the song structure of "Shock Wave". Ozzy's voice at a couple of points almost sounded Frampton-ian on that one, at least to me.
Agrippa

It's funny, I know reviewers disliked this album, I even remember a Danish reviewer back in 1978 writing that the title should be "Now We Must Die", but among people who actually like Black Sabbath I seldom come across any who doesn't have some love for this album.

I've heard more "fans" disliking Technical Ecstasy and Born Again.

Myself, I've always really loved "Never Say Die".

Johnny Blade, Juniors Eyes and Swinging The Chain are along with Air Dance just awesome tracks.

What' s not to love ?

The rest aren't that bad either.