Black Country Communion - AFTERGLOW (2012)

Got a great new Dinosaur Rock CD, DVD or book? Get screwed on a shitty one? Let us know so we can check out the good and avoid the bad. Post your reviews here.
EugenicScum

Haffner

Dinosaur David B wrote:
Dude, the number of PEOPLE I encounter -- outside of DRG -- who know anything about any of these guys -- and can name anyone even in MK2 is really quite small. There's a whole world out there outside of this genre of music that that doesn't know Purple from shit and the names Blackmore and Gillan doesn't mean anything more to them than Hughes. Beware of drawing sweeping conclusions based on such a small sampling of people, such as DRG folk and those like us.

Dude...BEWARE :wank:? This kind of attitude, as if I have no idea of what I'm talking about, is just ridiculous. I never hang this on anyone (at least I never have before), but think about who I work with, the people I deal with both on a friendly and business basis, and the broad geographical expanse of where they originate from. For you to think I'm coming from such a small space...it's just plain unthinking and disrespectful, where I've been absolutely nothing but respectful toward you.

Ban me from the board or whatever you like, but I'm a little too rock 'n roll for you to tell "beware" and lay down. I don't take that from anyone, so if you want me off I'll gladly skate. Just give the word. Dude.
Dinosaur David B

Andy,

I think you may be misconstruing the way I intended to use the term "beware." Which was more along the lines of saying "maybe it isn't a good idea" to base a conclusion on a small sample.

That said, I have seen people say stuff in here on DRG that -- while true here, bares very little resemblance to observable reality outside of here. I believe you yourself have commented many many times that your musical tastes lie pretty far outside the mainstream. I don't think the the mainstream views Hughes the way you do, primarily because they don't see him at all. Further, I don't believe they view any mark or member of DP with the reverence we do here.

Anyway, I only had one original point to make, and that was BCC's failure to deliver the goods has IMO, NOTHING to do with Hughes stature (or lack thereof) in DP history, and EVERYTHING to do with who he is now as a songwriter and his personality.

I have now expressed that opinion. I didn't mean to offend you in doing so.

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

Dinosaur David B wrote:
Andy,

I think you may be misconstruing the way I intended to use the term "beware." Which was more along the lines of saying "maybe it isn't a good idea" to base a conclusion on a small sample.

That said, I have seen people say stuff in here on DRG that -- while true here, bares very little resemblance to observable reality outside of here. I believe you yourself have commented many many times that your musical tastes lie pretty far outside the mainstream. I don't think the the mainstream views Hughes the way you do, primarily because they don't see him at all. Further, I don't believe they view any mark or member of DP with the reverence we do here.

Anyway, I only had one original point to make, and that was BCC's failure to deliver the goods has IMO, NOTHING to do with Hughes stature (or lack thereof) in DP history, and EVERYTHING to do with who he is now as a songwriter and his personality.

I have now expressed that opinion. I didn't mean to offend you in doing so.

Okay, I see what you mean. It's true, a lot of my views could rightly be construed as relatively esoteric. And it's also true, Deep Purple was a loooong time ago, and Glenn is great, period. He had already been part of a terrific song like "Medusa" before he ever had anything to do with Blackmore.

It was a weird morning. I wasn't offended, I just had my ire raised from an apparent misunderstanding. No foul called from this side.

Your last point, about who Glenn is now, is especially apt.
yngwie666

Dinosaur David B wrote:
There's a whole world out there outside of this genre of music that that doesn't know Purple from shit and the names Blackmore and Gillan doesn't mean anything more to them than Hughes.
Most people reaction when I say I listen to Deep Purple or even Van Halen is: "Aren't they dead ?".
MovingWaves

A perfect example of this forum's common knowledge vs. the general rock music audience is John Sykes.

No one outside this forum that I know has any idea who he is, much less be able to pick him out of a line-up. I like to think I'm pretty up to speed on my rock stars, but I didn't know him before I wandered over here, where he is a legend.
Bent out of shape

Re Sykes, damn shame isn't it....re BCC I've played a few tracks and was a little disappointed but will reserve judgement for now. I did like the Circle and title cut on first hearing. What is very interesting is 70 minute Dvd of which I've watched half....rivetting stuff on first viewing.
The Seeker

Bent out of shape wrote:
Re Sykes, damn shame isn't it....re BCC I've played a few tracks and was a little disappointed but will reserve judgement for now. I did like the Circle and title cut on first hearing. What is very interesting is 70 minute Dvd of which I've watched half....rivetting stuff on first viewing.

Both Joe and bcc release that DVD footage as a series of 5 minute webisodes during the recording and pre release period. Really good idea.

Sancho

I finally got my copy. After one listen, my first impression : it's my least favourite of the three. Mostly because of Hughes, who seems to be going through the motions. The songs are typical Glenn Hughes rock fare, we've heard the melodies before and the squeals get old.

Bonamassa is good, he seems more punchy than on the first two albums.

Bonham is great, as always. That dude is a bad mofo.

But the MVP award goes to Sherinian who seems a lot more present and delivers some tasty dino keys.

I'm not disappointed, but if this is what Hughes touts as his ultimate achievement, or whichever hyperbole he used in the promo talk, he's delusional.
Dinosaur David B

I'm not disappointed, but if this is what Hughes touts as his ultimate achievement, or whichever hyperbole he used in the promo talk, he's delusional.

Don't worry. It's only his best work ever until his next album.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.