Personal Gear Reviews

Help me make this a better Forum! Got some ideas that would make this place better, let me know.
inmyhands

Personal Gear Reviews

In the review section of the forum we've got cd,dvd and book reviews. We've got a second area for concert reviews. What about a third listing for gear reviews where forum members can give reviews of guitars, amps, effects they own/have used over a period of time. We've got places where we talk about the latest this or that, our recent purchases, things related to equipment that's good for........etc. We've got quite a few members who could give a deeper insight into gear, (guitars, amps, effects), that others are considering. Much better and more honest than most salesmen would supply them with. I know opinion, personal taste, etc. would come into play, but, I'd rather get information from a product review base made up of people on this forum where members know the regulars from the spammers. HC has good reviews but it's such a large base that you don't have any idea whether the one doing the reviewing knows one end of a guitar from the other. In a smaller forum base like this one forum members know each other and would be able to respect the reviews/ opinions given.

Just an idea I thought I'd toss in there.
Dinosaur David B

Personal Gear Reviews

What we've always done here is just review a piece of gear in the appropriate forum (and you can still do that). Creating a database of our reviews it like HC does theirs is a cool idea, however:

• - it would be somewhat rendundant to what they're doing

- we'd get far fewer reviews of each item than they do.

- I'd have to look into how to implement that kind of site feature and see if it's worth doing.

There is some crossover value in that idea and the DRG handbook. I'll check into it.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
System

Personal Gear Reviews

I think it's an excellent idea. But I also think it would transfer much of the discussion from the Guitar, amp and effects area. IMO a review should be just that, a review. And it shouldn't be able to be responded to. Much in the same manner that HC does theirs, only without categories. Any discussion could then be done in the other areas.
EugenicScum

Personal Gear Reviews

Dinosaur David B. wrote:What we've always done here is just review a piece of gear in the appropriate forum (and you can still do that). Creating a database of our reviews it like HC does theirs is a cool idea, however:

• - it would be somewhat rendundant to what they're doing

- we'd get far fewer reviews of each item than they do.

- I'd have to look into how to implement that kind of site feature and see if it's worth doing.

There is some crossover value in that idea and the DRG handbook. I'll check into it.

Dave,

You need to have a few things for that. You need to have a database running, you'll need this divided into categories and you'll need to give out memberships to all the contributors. These members should be able to login and post their reviews/comments (blog-like) without you making/uploading an html page for every entry. It's simply not possible with your existing STATIC site.

I'll say you'll need a php-based site for that.

Consider moving the whole site to a Joomla ( www.joomla.org ) based one. It's free and it's really worth it. You have have a dynamic, interactive website and a VERY efficient content management. It's really fucking cool and simple. You don't even require any coding knowledge.

There's enough content in the existing site that needs to be better managed...plus I remember you posting about all the new ideas. You must have a dynamic website. Updates will always be a major task until/unless you do that.

I can help you, just ask.
Dinosaur David B

Personal Gear Reviews

Yeah, that's one of the things that's been holding me back. I don't have the technical facility to implement it. Let's discuss this a little more offline.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
EugenicScum

Personal Gear Reviews

I've sent you a mail, Dave.
System

Personal Gear Reviews

GearNut wrote:I think it's an excellent idea. But I also think it would transfer much of the discussion from the Guitar, amp and effects area. IMO a review should be just that, a review. And it shouldn't be able to be responded to. Much in the same manner that HC does theirs, only without categories. Any discussion could then be done in the other areas.

Concur!