'My biggest favorites' series

Help me make this a better Forum! Got some ideas that would make this place better, let me know.
SunRedSun

Hi everybody. I came across an idea today of something I would like to do on the forum. Here goes.

For couple of months now I burn myself CDs with carefully selected tracks of my favourite performers. The aim of it is to compile on the CD the most beloved tunes and live versions of each artist. Simply to speak, these CDs gather the songs that I like enough to be able to listen to it one time after another, cause they have the biggest likes collected. Every track on them is my big hit, something that I'm happy to hear - no matter which time in my life. Every next time is as enjoyable as previous one, same goes to every track.

I thought that I could present these to you with track by track comments, so that you can see what turns me on. You'd know my tastes better, and you'd have a field for discussion yourselves. Maybe - if that succeds, you could start to create your own profiles yourself and present them.

I'm currently working on the first set.
cvansickle

Sounds fun. Sort of like the "60 Minutes" section in Guitar World magazine.
Sancho

Go ahead!

Cool idea...

I find the 60 Minutes section in Guitar World is usually the most interesting part of the mag.
SunRedSun

cvansickle wrote:Sounds fun. Sort of like the "60 Minutes" section in Guitar World magazine.

I don't know much about the GW editorial look (foreign music press is pretty expensive here), but I see glimpses of encouragement here (thx), so I start writing firing on all cylinders. Had a dillema with picking up who should be the first to have a go at. I concluded the choice with the sort of chronogical order of how I sinked into ROCK AND GOD-DAMN ROLL ;)
inmyhands

I think as long as players are upfront about their real fav's and not just going for what they think folks would agree with it could be very fun and very revealing.
Vandenberg

Agreed,

I have a CD like that in my car, that I put my fave tunes on that I never get bored of, I have even put a sticker on it that says Quattro rock (I drive an Audi Quatrro :D )so without being to.. you know

1) Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden, from the first album, punk attitude meets Blackmore inspired lead guitar and I used to cover it in one of my first metal bands and I think its stands up really well today.

2) Rescue Me - Y&T, reminds me of 84 MOR, the world kept turning but I did stand still, brilliant intro solo by Mr Meniketti, sweet phrasing, great rock song, from a superb album.

3) Love in Vain - Vandenberg, for me (just pipping BH) and no suprise has to be a Vandenberg song, but the riff is sexual, the song grooves, the solo is typical of Adrian, singing, legato, vibrato top notch, phrashing slighty obscure, sound, excellent, and the whole band does the job.

4) Ice Cream man - Vanhalen, I just love the swing, it makes me feel good, Eddie rips the solo, this IS rock n roll Vanhalen style :D

5) Love gun - Kiss, sleazy, sums up this era of Kiss very well I think and Ace slams it right in the top pocket as far as I'm concerned, a solo that I still play note for note just because I can and It should be played that way.

6) Jimi Hendrix - All along the watchtower, now that ladies and gentlemen is the most serious of playing, every time and I mean Every time I hear this song I say to myself that boy can play! inspirational

7) Blackout - The Scorpions, ice cold beer, heavy metal mags, flying V's , Stratocasters, Matthias Jabs, long hair, shouting, smoking, Sophie ;) , I blacked out baby, the tremolo arm dives, Klaus giving it large, this song really invokes memories for me.

8) Whole lotta love - Led Zeppelin, the text book on soloing and Phrasing, a guitar mag described it as a musical ejaculation and I agree, Jimmy Page + a Les Paul never sounded more dirty.. yeah!

9) I wanna Rock- Twisted Sister, ATTITUDE! nuff said..

10) Bark at the MOON - Ozzy Osbourne, what can I say, Jake you mother! vibrato to die for, speed to dream of, who needs a tremolo arm, just bend the guitar, or use behind the nut bends like no else, stick the thumb on the neck, riff like a man possessed, and, AND look as cool as F... doing it, now that shouldn't be allowed!

11) Thin Lizzy - waiting for an Alibi great song to drive to, great song to play, great song to sing along to, great vocal delivery from Mr Lynott, the guitars rip out of the stereo, some fine examples of how to use harmony guitar arrangements and of course Gary's silver Jacket for those that know..

12) Into the Arena, Michael Schenker, a tutorial of taste, a solo of style, playing of purpose, the reason behind buying a black and white Gibson flying V and what a reason, more melodies in one solo than some players have on an album

13) July Morning- Uriah Heep, bring it down, sitting back in my old place, in my chair, hazy days, friends like PHIL (RIP), JIM, and the girls, woh''' good times
SunRedSun

iImpresive set this is. Happy to see 'Bark At The Moon' ;) (all know that Jake E. Lee rules :lol: ;) ) And thanks for joining the fun. Any next contributions - please insert them into Forum Activities. So cap off the e-pens, on yer bikes :P get-set-go!!! :)