Rainbow Stargazer solo

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
Bent out of shape

Rainbow Stargazer solo

I’ve been drilling into the dynamic of the studio solo recently.  As we know it’s all over a B7 to C7 progression, the rhythm an octave kind of feel,  very similar to what Yngwie would use in Blackstar 8 years later, in fact identical, though recall he modulates from E to B periodically. So much going on,   after the dreamy slide notes picking up from the vocal line at the end of the verse, ‘Now where do we go’,   RB introduces some harmonic minor, non slide….. snake charmer licks,  progressing to the hammer on/off open E ascending licks @ 4:15,  concluding in a screaming staccato bent high B.   Then my favourite part, RB never failing to surprise with his unusual use of scales/modes,  a descending, tremolo picked sequence, G, F# and E @ 4:34,  hammering on E to G…… then a similar phrase with the notes G, F# and F natural instead, which still sounds great whilst again not, being a note within the B7 chord.  Finally, the steady, ascending single note sequence over A minor, then D major, similar for me to Genesis’ Los Endos.   The whole extravaganza concludes with the slide scraping down the strings from the pickups to around the 7th fret, before pounding into that heavy E riff again, phhheeewww!

For a different take, check the longer, more erratic, but thrilling live version from Donington Monsters of Rock 1980. 
Stitsel

Re: Rainbow Stargazer solo

Yeah....that solo absolutely blew my freaking mind the 1st time I heard it, and rightfully put Blackmore into a category all his own, among other guitarists.Just on a whole other level both technically and feel wise. Very eerie yet uplifting, and super intense. Just imagining his fingers doing it was a revelation.The build up to the crescendo was very dramatic and seemingly very well orchestrated, yet had a loose and improvisatory feel to it..... The whole performance by the band was sublime & impeccable, no one really does stuff like that anymore. The fact that Ritchie just nonchalantly utilizes the slide in such a non-blues and exotic sounding lead was also astounding.

Great dissection! 
Haffner

Cool analysis! It's 38 years this year since I first heard that song, and it's still favorite song (and quite possibly my favorite solo).
bourbonsamurai

Cozy's drum intro alone, is enough to make this an all time favorite.  I love everything about this tune, including Ronnie's typically odd and fantastic lyrics.  Blackmore's solo just pushes it even further into the unexplored beyond.  Ritchie is most certainly unique and completely underrated as a slide player, too.  I mean, he's got a whole game there, that no other neoclassical player has even dared touch.  I do miss this era of hard rock.  Also, why did this genre abandon the B3, again?