namm 2024

This is the place for discussing guitars, stuff like woods, and tone-related issues. Discuss guitar techniques in the separate forum.
bourbonsamurai

namm 2024

ive been watching the 2024 namm coverage on youtube and, holy fuck, there is so much new gear!  jesus.  and it all looks and sounds great.  even the $4000 partscasters, lol.  
Dinosaur David B

Re: namm 2024

There's always new gear. But the thing is, when you go to NAMM, it seems like you see 99% the same shit every year.  :lol:

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: There's always new gear. But the thing is, when you go to NAMM, it seems like you see 99% the same shit every year.  :lol:

the thing i keep amazed by, is the continued evolution, and size reduction, of modeling technology.  its getting near indistinguishable from the real thing, in both quality and simplicity.
merlo_zeppelin

I really wish I get to go to NAMM at least once
bourbonsamurai

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:23 pm I really wish I get to go to NAMM at least once

i never went either.  i was always the guy that ran the shop while the owners were on safari.  lol  they should have sent me instead.  they always came back with dumb shit we couldnt sell.  if it had been a laser convention, these dipshits would still have somehow found the only box of hammers for sale.
cvansickle

I've never been to a Winter NAMM but I've been to several Summer NAMMs, most of them in Nashville but one was in Austin. While still not as impressive as Anaheim, I'm sure, the ones in Nashville in the 90s were still quite extraordinary. The first time I went was Nashville 1994. The NAMM show coincided with Gibson's 100th anniversary. Gibson not only had a huge booth on the convention center floor, but they took guests on buses to guided tours of the factory and custom shop. I got to go through a friend's connection and I was a kid in a candy store! Saturday night Gibson sponsored a big concert on the riverfront, with Kiss, Fleetwood Mac, Brother Cane, Pat Travers, and Mother Station playing. At other shows, I got to meet Jim Marshall and Ted McCarty, among other industry legends.

The last two times I went to the Nashville show were 2010 and 2011, and those two were night and day. The 2010 show still filled multiple floors of the convention center, but the 2011 show didn't even fill one floor. The big companies like Gibson, Fender, PRS, and Marshall didn't even show up. If you were a dealer of school band and beginner instruments, you may haved liked it.
bourbonsamurai

cvansickle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm I've never been to a Winter NAMM but I've been to several Summer NAMMs, most of them in Nashville but one was in Austin. While still not as impressive as Anaheim, I'm sure, the ones in Nashville in the 90s were still quite extraordinary. The first time I went was Nashville 1994. The NAMM show coincided with Gibson's 100th anniversary. Gibson not only had a huge booth on the convention center floor, but they took guests on buses to guided tours of the factory and custom shop. I got to go through a friend's connection and I was a kid in a candy store! Saturday night Gibson sponsored a big concert on the riverfront, with Kiss, Fleetwood Mac, Brother Cane, Pat Travers, and Mother Station playing. At other shows, I got to meet Jim Marshall and Ted McCarty, among other industry legends.

The last two times I went to the Nashville show were 2010 and 2011, and those two were night and day. The 2010 show still filled multiple floors of the convention center, but the 2011 show didn't even fill one floor. The big companies like Gibson, Fender, PRS, and Marshall didn't even show up. If you were a dealer of school band and beginner instruments, you may haved liked it.

brother cane!  id have loved that..