kitchen knives

A pressure-free environment where members can discuss any NON-Dino players and music without having their heads bitten off by the angry Dinos. IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT DINO MUSIC, DON'T COME HERE.
bourbonsamurai

kitchen knives

i was trained to cut with classic french technique.  brunoise, batonnet, julienne, chiffonade, etc.  thus, i have always favored european chef knives.  full tang, thick spine, stainless steel indestructible heavy beasts.  my executive chef has recently introduced me to a different world, though.  i am definitely a true convert to lightweight japanese high carbon steel.  theyre much sharper, hold their edge much longer, and dont fatigue the wrist and forearm as german knives do.  you dont need to cut for hours on end to tell a difference, either, its immediately apparent.  a few weeks ago, i ordered a gyuto (chef), nakiri (vegetable), and petty (paring) set from moritaka hamono, and im picking them up tomorrow.  carbon steel needs more care than stainless, but no more than a little mineral oil, and a dry towel.  if anybody is interested, ill post updates as i continue to learn.
cvansickle

Re: kitchen knives

I have used Henkel and Cutco in the past. Both were very good for a household kitchen. I'm sure you need the best there is in your position.
Vandenberg

A good friend of mine is a chef and he swears by Global knives, again Japanese high grade steel.
Always happy to hear about anything food related brother :D

bourbonsamurai

cvansickle wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:21 pm I have used Henkel and Cutco in the past. Both were very good for a household kitchen. I'm sure you need the best there is in your position.

you might be surprised but, no, i really dont need top stuff here.  one of the cooks i work with uses a sams club knife.  he keeps it sharp, and youd never know by his work that his knife cost $11.  i bought my little kit because im trying to learn skills that fall outside my current positions requirements.
bourbonsamurai

omg, i have ordered knives 3x this year, only to endure cancellations, unacceptable delays,etc.  yesterday i said fuck this, cancelled everything, and bought a three stage electric sharpener, and another mess of zwilling pros, all of which left me enough leftover cash for a brand new 4qt enameled cast iron cocotte, which has a nifty pewter looking pig knob thing on top.  i am so sick of knives and various kitchenwares now, i am ready to quit my job, and go to work at panda express, or some shit.  tomorrow, im lugging all this shit to my locker, unsubscribing all the channels and blogs that got me in this mess, and having done with it.  except the pig cocotte.  nobodys using the pig cocotte but me, in my own damn kitchen.  at least now i have a set of knives i can leave at work.  ive been off work long enough to get bored.  i cant wait to go set some shit on fire tomorrow.  lol
eduardoritos

I think that any good sharpened knife can do the job.
My brother has the same knife pack since ever, and he simple sharp the thing with the stone from time to time. My shoemaker grandfather did the same thing with his apareil, both at work and home: a simple sharpening stone, and loose some minutes a week with the thing.
bourbonsamurai

eduardoritos wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:33 pm I think that any good sharpened knife can do the job.
My brother has the same knife pack since ever, and he simple sharp the thing with the stone from time to time. My shoemaker grandfather did the same thing with his apareil, both at work and home: a simple sharpening stone, and loose some minutes a week with the thing.

im more excited by my new enameled cocotte than my knives.  so far, i made coq au vin, pot au feu, and julia child cassoulet and bouef bourguingnon with it.  i think im gonna get some french copper next.  im concentrating on sauces this year.
eduardoritos

bourbonsamurai wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:41 pm
eduardoritos wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:33 pm I think that any good sharpened knife can do the job.

im more excited by my new enameled cocotte than my knives.  so far, i made coq au vin, pot au feu, and julia child cassoulet and bouef bourguingnon with it.  i think im gonna get some french copper next.  im concentrating on sauces this year.

I never used a cocotte, but tempted.
living one person alone, the oven isn't the more economical way to cook, but they're cocotte recipes very interesting.

I would love going chez vous and tryibg your food.