MSG Built to destroy

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
Tatosh Guitar

MSG Built to destroy

I was lucky enough to listen to them in order. I was a toddler when they were released, so I was introduced to them decades after most of you guys and I decided to give them a proper listen before moving to the next one (I listened the first album four or five times, then moved to MSG and gave it a few listens as well, then Budokan, then AA, you get the idea...

The first album had the most lasting impact at first, but AA blew my socks off as well. I was totally obsessed with Bonnett vocals for a while (the fact that I was heavily into Down to Earth and the Alcatrazz album with Malmsteen had a lot to do with that too) Also, the production on AA is untouchable to me. Birch is probably my all time favorite producer, rivaled only by Wagener for his skill at getting awesome guitar tones. I love live albums, but for some reason I didn't connect with Budokan and RWND. Perhaps I was comparing them too much with Strangers in the Night, which is in my top 5 live albums of all time.

Compared to all that, Built to Destroy didn't really stand a chance. I still like it, but as I said in my previous post, I don't really listen to it as much as I listen to the others.

Sancho

MSG Built to destroy

I remember reading an interview with Barden when St Holmes had just been canned and he said it was because he was a "fine bastard".

It does make sense for Barden to say something like that...

Osky said:

I like a couple of tunes off BTD but they sound better on Budokan to my ears....

[/quote]
Do you mean Rock Will Never Die Live? Because there's no songs off BTD on Live At Budokan.
Osky

MSG Built to destroy

Sancho said:

I remember reading an interview with Barden when St Holmes had just been canned and he said it was because he was a "fine bastard".

It does make sense for Barden to say something like that...

Osky said:

I like a couple of tunes off BTD but they sound better on Budokan to my ears....

[/quote]
Do you mean Rock Will Never Die Live? Because there's no songs off BTD on Live At Budokan.

[/quote]
oops yes getting mixed up there!
Bent out of shape

Re: MSG Built to destroy

I find all of Built very listenable apart from Little devil, in my opinion one of the worst tracks Michael has been involved with
cvansickle

I was listening to BtD in the gym the other morning. The download I have includes both UK and US versions, with the original UK presented first. It really did feel like listening to two different albums. I definitely prefer the UK version.
Haffner

cvansickle wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:09 pm I was listening to BtD in the gym the other morning. The download I have includes both UK and US versions, with the original UK presented first. It really did feel like listening to two different albums. I definitely prefer the UK version.

I've heard the same good things about the UK version from Taz Taylor, I need to give it a try.

To me those songs were done up way better on the extended "Rock Will Never Die", especially the title track, "Red Sky", and "Captain Nemo".

I still try to imagine those songs featuring Bonnet, and it would have been far better if so imo.
Dinosaur David B

Haffner wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:49 pmI still try to imagine those songs featuring Bonnet, and it would have been far better if so imo.

I don't think I could say that. Throw out which singer you prefer, changing the singer won't make a mediocre song good, or a forgettable song memorable.  At least it shouldn't
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

Dinosaur wrote:
Haffner wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:49 pmI still try to imagine those songs featuring Bonnet, and it would have been far better if so imo.

I don't think I could say that. Throw out which singer you prefer, changing the singer won't make a mediocre song good, or a forgettable song memorable.  At least it shouldn't

That might be an interesting idea for a topic imo.