Abogados del Ritmo_full album_how and what

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
eduardoritos

Abogados del Ritmo_full album_how and what

Hello, forumites,

You know, I have a new album on different plattforms.
One of those is Bandcamp, where you can put some info on each song.

You can clik on each song and have a little explanation about the composing of music and lyrics.

My recording process this time started talking with our new singer about what she wanted to sing and she told me: blues.
Shit, I don't like blues... so I'll try doing something for the like of both.

Influenced by the Beatles Get Back! doco, I applied the way they use to write on a colective way of work, but on my own.
Follow your first impulse; don't think it's good or bad; don't think it's our style or not. If you like it, it's good and adecuate for the band.
Also, I tried using as much dom7 chord as posible. Because of that, some songs have kind of a 60's feel (at least, for me).

Most part of structures are improvised after a riff or a drumbeat I had on my head when awaking after the evening nap (yes, I'm very Spanish on that aspect). 

After the strucuture is crafted, I'd recorded the melody with my guitar, with back harmonies, everything.

And it's now when the hard part starts: what it's this song about? What kind of lyrics the song wants?
I listen to the song again and again until I have an idea of the theme of the song (war, love, dancing at night, missing the good sex with somebody...) and, having the idea, my #1 selfimposed rule is: stuck to the melody, fit the words on the notes.

Well, so I have the full album composed, with melodies and lyrics in december 2022 and, in may I realized that the singer is unable, 100% incapable to sing properly and in tune my songs and, by chance, I've meet a women who can sing in tune, even the high pitches of the first album, so I hired her, trained her for two weeks and go to the studio to record the album with her not having any previous experience on recording, and not being a true rock singer.
So the album is a strange mix of things: a non blues album with a not rock singer :mrgreen:

My recording process, as always is: programing drums, bass and guitars straigth to the daw, all done at home.
Go to the studio and reamp guitar and bass. This time I was into a more fendery mood, so guitars are amplified with a 70's blackface Fender and my spanish Sinmarc, crunch chanell; both amps boosted with a Klon Centaur clon (cheap Nux horseman, I love it). My 200€ Samick bass, wich my tech loves and two guitars: the real Fender Stratocaster and the G&L pickups loaded partcaster.
For the bass, two of the songs have the Monster One Lemmy amp plug-in; the rest are straight to the daw, eq, comp (no amp).
Here and there are some keyboards, played thru a free DX7 plug-in (named FM7); horns and midi guitar get alive by a Korg MP1 plug-in, just because it was the keyboard played by my cousin when we shared a Top40 dance band.

Most of the solos are improvised first takes, if that wasn't good enouhg played but the idea was rigth, I've learned it and recorded it.

Two of the song have acoustic guitars; mics are very cheap copies of a shure sm57 (VERY CHEAP!).
The full acoustic song took me FOUR HOURSt o complete a good enough record; thanks to a stage guitar stand (the kind of thing used by Sambora to his acoustic), I'd succeded playing and recording an acoustic guitar, with many start/stops on the keyboard, but not missing the right place of the mics, because, the guitar was fixed to the stand on front of the mics, and I was free to leave the guitar in place while doin my thing on the computer.
The acoustic guitars: a 100€ copy of the famous 12 string Ovation, and a 70's japenese one, brabded Terada. 

So, I you have read to this, your're ready to listen to the songs.
You can use a translator for the lyrics, if you want.

TravisW

Re: Abogados del Ritmo_full album_how and what

This sounds great! The sound quality is really good, the songs are catchy, and the performances are good. Lots of cool guitar ideas in there. 

eduardoritos

Re: Abogados del Ritmo_full album_how and what

TravisW wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:37 pm This sounds great! The sound quality is really good, the songs are catchy, and the performances are good. Lots of cool guitar ideas in there. 

Big thank you.