Low E fnger slides

A place to discuss specific playing techniques.
Bent out of shape

Low E fnger slides

I was considering who was the first to do finger slides down the low E string pre riff/solo feature,  popularised by eg John Sykes, Yngwie in particular. I  assumed probably EVH as with much else, eg start of Eruption,  but on listening to UFO’s Obsession the other day I heard Michael doing quite a bit of, eg start of the second solo on One more for the rodeo, so perhaps him.  Unsure of timings of VH1 and obsession but aware both would have been familiar with each other’s playing techniques on the Southern Californian gig scene.  

Pick slides, I'm thinking Blackmore on In rock?
Dinosaur David B

Re: Low E fnger slides

Bent wrote: I was considering who was the first to do finger slides down the low E string pre riff/solo feature,  popularised by eg John Sykes, Yngwie in particular. I  assumed probably EVH as with much else, eg start of Eruption,  but on listening to UFO’s Obsession the other day I heard Michael doing quite a bit of, eg start of the second solo on One more for the rodeo, so perhaps him.  Unsure of timings of VH1 and obsession but aware both would have been familiar with each other’s playing techniques on the Southern Californian gig scene.  

Pick slides I think is Townshend  -- and Blackmore LOVES Townshend and the Who. 
The finger slide  -- I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Hendrix -- especially live. He does one here at Monterey at 2:14.

Clapton wouldn't have had the balls. I don't recall Page or Beck doing it.

But it also wouldn't surprised me if it were someone like Dick Dale.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote:
Bent wrote: I was considering who was the first to do finger slides down the low E string pre riff/solo feature,  popularised by eg John Sykes, Yngwie in particular. I  assumed probably EVH as with much else, eg start of Eruption,  but on listening to UFO’s Obsession the other day I heard Michael doing quite a bit of, eg start of the second solo on One more for the rodeo, so perhaps him.  Unsure of timings of VH1 and obsession but aware both would have been familiar with each other’s playing techniques on the Southern Californian gig scene.  

Pick slides I think is Townshend  -- and Blackmore LOVES Townshend and the Who. 
The finger slide  -- I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Hendrix -- especially live. He does one here at Monterey at 2:14.

Clapton wouldn't have had the balls. I don't recall Page or Beck doing it.

But it also wouldn't surprised me if it were someone like Dick Dale.

i think the dick dale wins, here.  misrilou, night rider, and the victor, off the top of my head.
Vandenberg

But the one in the vid that Jimi does at Monterey, DAMN that's the coolest  :D

MAdX

A rather quick one at the start of this song, but I think it qualifies:

Also got a few tremolo picked slides in there... I think sometimes we tend to forget about the early pioneers of electric guitar.

EDIT: bourbonsamurai beat me to it  :D 

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Les Paul was doing that stuff before DIck Dale 

bourbonsamurai

MAdX wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:07 pm A rather quick one at the start of this song, but I think it qualifies:

Also got a few tremolo picked slides in there... I think sometimes we tend to forget about the early pioneers of electric guitar.

EDIT: bourbonsamurai beat me to it  :D 

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Les Paul was doing that stuff before DIck Dale 

its dave that beat us both, here..  yep.  that knuckle dragger knows guitar.