I am now completely wireless tracking and HEARING guitars in the studio

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
Nick Layton

Re: I am now completely wireless tracking and HEARING guitars in the studio

Going back to the XVive unit, did you ever get to try it live? I had my cord pulled out of my pedal board not once, but twice by the bass player on my last gig, so I'm looking at a good wireless unit.
Be cool to try it in the studio too.
eduardoritos

More than 10 years ago, I've purchased a pair of SONY wireless headphones. The rechargable batteries are regular shaped, so I can swamp them when they're dead, so the headphones are alway functional.

Best purchase ever, cable free headphone playing.
Dinosaur David B

Nick wrote:Sat Jan 03, 1970 9:27 pm Going back to the XVive unit, did you ever get to try it live? I had my cord pulled out of my pedal board not once, but twice by the bass player on my last gig, so I'm looking at a good wireless unit.
Be cool to try it in the studio too.

I used it in band rehearsals. Frankly it has worked FINE everywhere. You should get a pair. My plan for LIVE would be to use them, but bring a cord for backup just in case. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Dinosaur David B

eduardoritos wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:55 am More than 10 years ago, I've purchased a pair of SONY wireless headphones. The rechargable batteries are regular shaped, so I can swamp them when they're dead, so the headphones are alway functional.

Best purchase ever, cable free headphone playing.

Wireless headphones are great. I've used Apple ear buds since they came out.  But until now, I've never been able to go wireless to the DAW for tracking. There was always too much latency.
Nick Layton

Cool, just ordered a pair.
bourbonsamurai

tangentially dave, did you ever find the 7506s to be a bit fatigue inducing, when you were produing?   those fuckers straight did my head all the way in, and i likely wasnt spending near the time in them you were.
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 am tangentially dave, did you ever find the 7506s to be a bit fatigue inducing, when you were produing?   those fuckers straight did my head all the way in, and i likely wasnt spending near the time in them you were.

Well, you can't really mix using 7506s. I wear them for tracking and editing though. Never had much discomfort from them, though they can be a little heavy. 
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote:
bourbonsamurai wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 am tangentially dave, did you ever find the 7506s to be a bit fatigue inducing, when you were produing?   those fuckers straight did my head all the way in, and i likely wasnt spending near the time in them you were.

Well, you can't really mix using 7506s. I wear them for tracking and editing though. Never had much discomfort from them, though they can be a little heavy. 

was meaning ear fatigue.  i found the 7506s to be really fuckin loud, which i liked, but what i didnt know any better then was, all the clarity and crisp presence those cans have, can really give a helluva headache, before i even knew i had one.  a few years ago, sweetwater sold me 2 focals, and it was a real diferent world.  this is well before focals got stoopid expensive.  no way in hell id buy em now theyre most of $1000.   im only curious, cuz i have the idea you were wearing yours for really extended sessions.
Dinosaur David B

bourbonsamurai wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:22 pmwas meaning ear fatigue.  i found the 7506s to be really fuckin loud, which i liked, but what i didnt know any better then was, all the clarity and crisp presence those cans have, can really give a helluva headache, before i even knew i had one.  a few years ago, sweetwater sold me 2 focals, and it was a real diferent world.  this is well before focals got stoopid expensive.  no way in hell id buy em now theyre most of $1000.   im only curious, cuz i have the idea you were wearing yours for really extended sessions.

I try to be consciously aware of ear fatigue. Whenever possible, I only have them as loud as I need them. That generally means somewhat loud for tracking -- to get physically and emotionally into playing the part. But I typically only track  1-3 hours at a time. And there are plenty of breaks where you edit your takes in the DAW. I don't really need it loud for editing already-tracked regions. Just loud enough to hear the details of what you're doing. 

That said, all headphones and all speakers produce their own frequency response, which usually isn't flat (what you need for mixing). It's not surprising to me that you might find something you find less grating. 

I'm just very used to using the 7506s. My first pair lasted me over 20 years. Then my wife got a hold of them.  :doh:

I'll likely use then less now I that have these dedicated, wireless, tracking headphones. Plus I have the dedicated mixing headphones which are (IMO) easily the greatest home recording development since it began.