super low volume out of Marshall

This is the forum for discussion and questions regarding Amplifiers, yours, or someone elses.
Stitsel

super low volume out of Marshall

Hey brothers....
this might be a super noob question, but here goes.Suddenly my JVM has no sound, well it sounds very small, distant and muffled. Like it's coming from a transistor radio in the other room or something.Seems I remember reading or hearing somewhere it could be a tube or something? I don't really know too much about tube amps other than they sound the best. I undid all 4CM cables, & plugged straight into the front, 1st w/my wireless unit then with an actual cable....same thing. Could be something as stupid as a fuse maybe? Everything works though, it all lights up, switching through the channels works fine etc., just whatever I select has a real quiet & tinny sound. It's a 100 watt JVM head going into a 1960 4x12 cab.
Thoughts? Thanks
Stitsel

Re: super low volume out of Marshall

Nevermind :roll: . 

As per usual, it was my boneheaded lack of sense that was the problem, not the amp. 
Dinosaur David B

Hey, I once retubed my Tiny Terror because the sound was thin and weird. Turned out my wah pedal was on, and set almost full forward.  :oops:

After I got the new tubes, I bought a new wah that had an ON light. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Stitsel

Ha!! Wanna know what it was? JVM....28 knobs, 8 buttons. Sounds intimidating too say the least, right. Actually it's 4 separate channels with identical tone stacks: your good 'ol Marshall setup...Vol>Bas>Mid>Treb>Gain  w/4 individual Reverb controls for each channel, 2 Master Vol. ( A MUST HAVE ) and Resonance & Presence controls. 
Then....you have buttons for each channel & Reverb, a button to toggle between the 2 Master Vols., and a MIDI button ( not gonna go there...yet ) and an FX LOOP button.... it was THAT button that was depressed.... that sucked my sound out; I was running no FX, straight/clean, straight into the amp....& it was all suppressed. Very weird sound. I found & checked the fuses, there are 2 & they were fine. Everything seems fine....then I saw that button & had a "DOH!!" moment.... un pressed it...voila ....Almost got knocked on my ass with the massive volume of OD2 ripping my shit apart. Ha I deserved it, such a dumbass. 

I just want simplicity, a few effects, and frankly it's kind of a pain in the ass. I love 4 channels, but the programmable FS has a mind of it's own: step on this channel, FX loop turns off, then the other channel it's back on..... I have to delve into it & figure it out. I love the amp itself & all it's capable of...it's just kind of a PITA getting it dialed in right. But...the tones I get out of this amp make me wanna dial it in right, then be done with it. As in....I'm set. 

Dinosaur David B

I hate complicated gear. Part of why I never got on with Mesas.
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Stitsel

Yeah I hear ya. I just want a few good tones, at the push of a button. Still searching for that perfect balance.
Tatosh Guitar

And that my friends, is why I draw the line at JCM 800s...
Stitsel

HAHA Yeah. I've owned an 800 in the past & even an older JMP now ( same circuit, a 2204 ) & literally have no complaints about either. My JVM tho...I swear it up & down, is way more simple that most think. But I'm not gonna go into that here, again. Unless someone wants me to.

Whatever. It's all the tones, to me. That amp has it all, & then some.So I have to step on 2-3 buttons...hey I think I can figure that out. JVM has 800 built right in, BTW....among others.