Doubling Leads

Most of us are doing home recording. Here's a place to talk about it.
axe

Doubling Leads

I'm talking Randy Rhoads style!
Not much good at it since I never plan ahead and play everything off the cuff.
You?

axe 
Dinosaur David B

Re: Doubling Leads

Yes. I've done it, several times over the years. Usually not the WHOLE solo, but in spots to thicken up certain phrases.

For example, my first solo on Anything But That  (at 3:36) is all doubled to fatten it up. 

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
axe

Just heard it  
Good stuff bro.

axe 
bourbonsamurai

axe wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:31 pm I'm talking Randy Rhoads style!
Not much good at it since I never plan ahead and play everything off the cuff.
You?

axe 

i never doubled a guitar solo, but i did play on a record where the producer wanted me to double the piano on a few tracks.  i mean he wanted it VERBATIM..  one of the more difficult things i ever tried to do.  it sounded like shit, and i still dont know if its because i sucked, or if it was just a stupid fucking idea from the jump
Bytor

I attempted it on this pc

Dinosaur David B

To be honest, I don't find doubling particularly difficult. By design it doesn't have to be TOO perfect.  You can do it as tight as possible, but sometimes, having a little ragged width to it can be cool as well.  BTW, I think Randy triple tracked all the leads on Diary

It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
bourbonsamurai

Dinosaur wrote: To be honest, I don't find doubling particularly difficult. By design it doesn't have to be TOO perfect.  You can do it as tight as possible, but sometimes, having a little ragged width to it can be cool as well.  BTW, I think Randy triple tracked all the leads on Diary

around 1998 or so, i hit upon the detune function on a stereo chorus.  out of laziness, i just do that when a multitrack effect is needed.  in my experience, input compression really is useful here, too.
Dr Nick

Dinosaur wrote: To be honest, I don't find doubling particularly difficult. By design it doesn't have to be TOO perfect.  You can do it as tight as possible, but sometimes, having a little ragged width to it can be cool as well.  BTW, I think Randy triple tracked all the leads on Diary

I have done it, but if I can get a good enough sound that's usually fine with me. Which is a great advantage with plugins, and re-amping stuff, you can play around for ages. Plus I like clarity, and it might sound bigger, but not necessarily clearer. 

And yes, he tripled them: the main solo down the middle, then would learn it, play it as close as he could - twice - and pan those right and left, quieter than the main one.